Laptop query

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Today I was going to import some photos from my phone onto the laptop. Turned on the laptop and nothing. Any ideas before I take it to a repair shop. Thanks in advance. Not been a great day!!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Could be any number of things
Is there anything on the screen at all.

Do you have a separate screen or tv you could connect it to (hdmi)?
If it works on that, then it's your screen that has gone,

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on whether it is the screen, the microswitch or simply a loose connector. No way of knowing until the case gets opened.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had one where the internal speaker sound and screen cables inside where the same, when the screen when I just swapped them over until the spare arrives.

Just wore headphones after that...

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
If it is working on HDMI then I would suspect that the backlight on your screen has failed, this means a new screen

you have 2 choices

1) visit here ( http://www.laptopscreenonline.com/) and put in your laptop model, etc, buy the screen and follow the youtube vids on how to replace the screen for your model

or

2) Take the laptop to a computer guy and let him do it, The screen would be about £50 inc delivery and I would charge about £30 for the job

If your laptop is more than 5 years old, it isn't worth spending the money on it, so go buy a new one :)

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst all of the above are to considered, I've repaired a few like this where the screen cable has been fitted too tightly in the case resulting in the cable being damaged. This is more common with some laptops more than others, what makes is yours?

Replacing the screen cable is reasonably easy and a lot cheaper than the screen. Try moving the screen up and down once it's booted up, see if you get any flickering or screen artifacts. If you do it's probably the cable from the motherboard to the screen.