Kid2 >>>>

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's your plane that is killing you...

You take the clubhead around behind you and practically allow it to lead the way... your hands and arms should control the clubhead, not the other way round,,,,

kid1.jpg

Notice how the clubhead is behind your arse.... that's a REALLY flat takeaway (90%) of club golfers do this. You can't hit the ball from being that flat so the rest of your swing is about compensating for that. If there was a brick wall behind your butt you'd obviously smack it...

Take a look at Justin Rose (who's also basically one plane nowadays)

kid1b.jpg

His club exits behind him somewhere near his shoulder and yet it still doesn't get behind the line I've drawn behind his bum.

Here's he is halfway up (about where you were in your swing....)
kid1a.jpg

The club is above the height of his hands... which are still very much in front of his hips. Your wrists are not controlling the clubhead.. they are 'flipping/hinging' open and allowing the clubhead to get waaaaaaay behind you.

NB:
You also have a bit of cuppage in your left wrist at the top which will get the clubface pointing LEFT at impact.

NNB:
One plane DOESN'T MEAN FLAT it means that your shoulders turn on an inclined plane and the forearm matches the shoulder plane at the top.

(two plane swing is flatter shoulder turn with the arms picking the club up more and ending up ABOVE the shoulder plane).

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I take it that Justins swing would be a decent swing for me to try and match so James!

I can see the difference at halfway back as you say where my club head is inside.....Would i be on a decent plane then if my club were to match the alignment rods that i have down at that same position in the backswing.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I wouldn't necessarily COPY anyones swing... just try and get the theory/basics right no matter what pattern you're following..... here's Luke donald.... club head has risen above his hand height........ but it's not flung back behind his arse ;)

kid1c.jpg

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily COPY anyones swing... just try and get the theory/basics right no matter what pattern you're following..... here's Luke donald.... club head has risen above his hand height........ but it's not flung back behind his arse ;)

View attachment 1934

Smashin.......:thup:
Its definitely getting better...A lot of bloody frustration but worthwhile i think!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
On your backswing, make the club go up towards the 1 o'clock (12 o'clock would be above your head and 3 o'clock would be behind your butt.)

kid1d.jpg

If you video your swing from behind (down the line) make sure the 1st place you see the club exit behind you is in the vicinity of the right upper ribs/right armpit.

Practice in the garden, ONE SWING.... film it on your iPhone, 10 times per day if necessary.... get on plane

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Obviously, we'd all like to have the perfect swing but it's unlikely to happen. You can however have an inside b/swing but still be good at impact.

The current world no. 6 demonstrates how.

mk1.jpg
Backswing

mk2.jpg
Downswing

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Obviously, we'd all like to have the perfect swing but it's unlikely to happen. You can however have an inside b/swing but still be good at impact.

The current world no. 6 demonstrates how.

View attachment 1945
Backswing

View attachment 1946
Downswing

Hi Bob....Whats the best way to stop missing left with the inside takeaway.... I think that my takeaway is similar to Matts and somewhere along the line i manage to get things right at times when i hit a draw or a straight one...

But im prone to loosing it both sides when i dont trust it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Get the transition correct.
If you throw at the top, you will swing out to in and the ball goes left (assuming a square clubface to the swing path)
Make the change of direction smooth and un-hurried as thats where the problems often start.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I certainly would not encourage a handicap golfer to take the club back inside like that. Kuchar has the ability to reroute it but why would you want to be making those kind of adjustments in your swing if you don't need to.

The other 9 don't ;)

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
He starts off flat in the take away. At the top, he throws is it as 90 % of golfers do but he throws it onto the right plane. If he was on plane going back then threw it, he would be above plane.

[video=youtube;vMjQU2Xo62I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMjQU2Xo62I[/video]

I didnt say I would encourage someone to swing back flat, I just said If the pupil got it good at impact, I wouldn't care too much about the backswing. I mean why would you?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If they get it right in the backswing they are in a much better position to get it right at impact.

There is nothing wrong with working on a perfect swing, you may not achieve it but the nearer you get the better you will strike the ball.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
There's a lot of differences between Kid2's swing and Kuchar, I'd go as far to say Kuchar is flat.. one of the (if not THE) flattest... however Kid2 is flatter, the clubhead gets deeper (more behind) than even Kuchar manages.

There are subtle differences note with DRIVER Kuchar doesn't get it behind him as much as K2 does with his 7-iron? and (from the Masters vid posted above) notice the angle of the left arm and how deep Kuchars hands are to his right hip (he isn't flapping the club back with his wrists....)

k3.jpg

There's 100 different little things going on, I'm not saying that you couldn't learn them all but it'd be as painful as learning to swing on a 'more conventional' one plane swing... if not it'd definitely then also be one of those swings that you'll need a dedicated swing coach... and I'm a bit busy! :whistle:

NB: I probably also wouldn't recommend Furyk (just in case you're thinking of taking it to the other extreme!)

All that said.....

If you want to go whole hog S&T then you're close :whistle: embrace it or change :ears:

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not if they throw it at the top they wont

Thats what I am currently doing, a nice slightly drawn shot going 10 yards left of target. The rest of my swing is looking great but this is a new thing for me :(

*sorry for thread hijack but Bobs comment was a bit of a lightbulb moment, I knew I was doing it but now I have confirmed it. I am working on correcting it and 50% if the time its good and I hit a lovely high soft landing shot, even with my 3 iron :eek:

PS how many beers do I owe you now Bob?

I guess at forum meets you eat and drink for free even when food is not provided :)

I think I need a "I <3 bobmac" teeshirt

Last edited: