KBS tour shafts.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Probably like a regular in most other brands :rofl:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you like soft feeling shafts, then they could be good. If you prefer 'stiffer' feeling Regulars, then maybe not!

To me, the Stiffs I had felt a little softer than what I would have expected, but they were controllable - unlike some Nippon 950s I had.

I prefer to err on the Stiff side, but would be happy to play KBS Tour Stiffs again.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What Foxholer said. I have them in stiff and there is no harshness at all. I think that KBS shafts are a little lighter (all flexes) than their equivalent True Temper ones.

chillicon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was recently fitted for my new irons and ended up with extra stiff kbs tour shafts. I really like them. A massive improvement on my previous shafts although they were 25 years old. Don't have anything else to compare against but they were my preferred shaft out of the ones I tried in the fitting.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends whether you are a frequency or weight advocate.

In frequency terms, KBS Tour R come out at 5.0 on the Rifle scale. TT DG R300 come out at 4.8, so a bit less than a half flex softer.

In weight terms they are around 110g, compared to about 127 for R300.

KBS Tour also have a different flex structure with less tip stiffness than TT DG which may contribute to the feeling of softness.

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ive played KBS Tour regular,Project x 5.0 flighted and now Kbs tour C Taper 90 regular. The Project x5.0 feel stiffer than both the KBS. The flighted shaft never felt i was loading them but i hit them well and would definately use them again. The standard KBS Tours i hit well but never got the dispersion i did with the Project x. The new C taper shaft is lighter and im just starting to get used to them with a nice flight and the dispersion is getting there. The Project x gave me a lower ball flight where and the KBS Tours were the heighest with the C Taper in the middle.

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On a side note. When i was using the KBS Tour regulars i hit my friends Tours in stiff and didnt really notice a lot of difference. My 7 iron swing speed is about 82mph if that helps.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive played KBS Tour regular,Project x 5.0 flighted and now Kbs tour C Taper 90 regular. The Project x5.0 feel stiffer than both the KBS. The flighted shaft never felt i was loading them but i hit them well and would definately use them again. The standard KBS Tours i hit well but never got the dispersion i did with the Project x. The new C taper shaft is lighter and im just starting to get used to them with a nice flight and the dispersion is getting there. The Project x gave me a lower ball flight where and the KBS Tours were the heighest with the C Taper in the middle.

Project X 5.0 is stiffer than any of those, because, bizarrely, PX 5.0 has a frequency of 5.5 on the Rifle scale. All PX (but not PX Flighted) are the same in this respect. It is also quite butt firm (oh err, missus) so feels like very little give in the hands which heightens the effect.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Project X 5.0 is stiffer than any of those, because, bizarrely, PX 5.0 has a frequency of 5.5 on the Rifle scale. All PX (but not PX Flighted) are the same in this respect. It is also quite butt firm (oh err, missus) so feels like very little give in the hands which heightens the effect.

I can certainly vouch for that! While I prefer shafts a tad stiff, I replaced some S300s with PX5.5 and found them too harsh - not suited to me at all, though actually better feeling than the S300s in the specific heads! And after a weekend on links courses, the bones in my hands hurt on a Monday! My expensive mistake!

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was recently fitted for my new irons and ended up with extra stiff kbs tour shafts. I really like them. A massive improvement on my previous shafts although they were 25 years old. Don't have anything else to compare against but they were my preferred shaft out of the ones I tried in the fitting.

What sort of SS do you have chillicon? Or did you just go on feel and visible performance?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Kim Braly designed rifle & project x while he was at royal precision before it ran into trouble & got picked up by true temper, then he started kbs.
the kbs c-taper's are really a further development down the from the work he did designing the project x.

kbs tour shafts were the first shafts kbs produced, they have consistent bend profiles from flex to flex. the R is the same 'design' as the S, just a tad heavier/stiffer. kbs tours go up in 5 weight/flex R, R+,S, S+,X, starting at 110g & going up in 5g increments.

perhaps counter-intuitively the newest kbs shaft (not counting the 2 new kbs wedge shafts brought out recently) the kbs tour V's lighter weight shafts are the lowest launching of all the kbs iron shafts, tip stiffness & butt stiffness around the same as the tours but interestingly the mid section of the V's are a little ways stiffer. so not all lightweight shafts launch higher. (in 2013 big Phil used these in the Scottish open & Open then they were described as 'prototypes')

depends whether you like & can get used to the lighter weight or are more used to a heavier shaft.

Last edited:

chillicon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What sort of SS do you have chillicon? Or did you just go on feel and visible performance?

The extra stiff was recommended based on the data gathered by the mizuno fitting tool. Swing speed was low to mid 90s iirc.The choice on shaft make was definitely based on feel and results, marginal distance but much tighter dispersion. Couldn't be happier tbh.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a side note. When i was using the KBS Tour regulars i hit my friends Tours in stiff and didnt really notice a lot of difference. My 7 iron swing speed is about 82mph if that helps.

My 7 iron swing speed is around 80.

But I seem to be happier with shafts around the 95g weight, so guess I may be ok.

Guess I'll try and road test.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I found the Kbs tours a bit light, and very snapable. A bit too fragile for me. I'm loving the c tapers though. They feel heavy, and solid. No idea why though.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The extra stiff was recommended based on the data gathered by the mizuno fitting tool. Swing speed was low to mid 90s iirc.The choice on shaft make was definitely based on feel and results, marginal distance but much tighter dispersion. Couldn't be happier tbh.

was that with a 6i? You must have been very borderline between stiff and X-stiff. I was a toss up between the KBS and TTDG X-Stiff. For me the TTDG got a lower flight without sacrificing spin compared to the KBS. Bit I did think the KBS felt better, but I could not argue with the stats from the TTDG.

chillicon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Absolutely correct. It was the 6iron and it was between stiff and extra stiff. The fitter recommended that I went with the extra stiff option and I really like them. It is difficult to describe, but they just feel so stable and controlled through the downswing. As I said in an earlier post, I was coming from 25 yr old regular stock shafts so there is quite a difference. I am much more confident with the new shafts, particularly with the longer irons.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
. I'm loving the c tapers though. They feel heavy, and solid. No idea why though.

I like the C Tapers too. I have a set in S flex in my Mizunos. Swing speed with a 6 iron about 86 mph but can get handsy.

They feel lightish to me, and a bit inert, although not stiff, but the flight is great - they want to go straight and long, so can't complain.