Justin Rose, Fort Worth Invitational

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
This may have been discussed already;

"PGA Tour regulations that demand pros appear in at least one event in which they have not played in the last four years."

Which JR cited as his reason for missing the Wentworth.

If he goes on to win, suspect he may feel obliged to defend it next year, so assuming the dates still clash a tricky decision perhaps.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice problem to have though.

Joking apart, it is awkward. The PGA is the premier tournament of the tour and from comments I've read he genuinely wants to be there. He and his agent will be under some pressure if he does finish off the tournament and win.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure why he'd want to come back to play in an inferior tournament?

Anyway it's a mute point as the USPGA is moving to May next year I believe and our own PGA is moving to September if I'm not mistaken?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure if it's been mentioned or not but so not a fan of the putt line predictor being used by TV - more so when they don't remove it from the screen while the putt is being played and you lose the ball when on the line. For me it really takes something AWAY from the interest and excitement of watching players putt - especially on critical putts. Just feels like the horrid trend these days with tv series when they show clip from the next episode - it's a spoiler and don't get why they do it.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
SwingsitlikeHogan;[URL="tel:1848802" said:
1848802[/URL]]Not sure if it's been mentioned or not but so not a fan of the putt line predictor being used by TV - more so when they don't remove it from the screen while the putt is being played and you lose the ball when on the line. For me it really takes something AWAY from the interest and excitement of watching players putt - especially on critical putts. Just feels like the horrid trend these days with tv series when they show clip from the next episode - it's a spoiler and don't get why they do it.

Agreed it’s a bit too PlayStation.

U

User62651

"PGA Tour regulations that demand pros appear in at least one event in which they have not played in the last four years."

If he goes on to win, suspect he may feel obliged to defend it next year, so assuming the dates still clash a tricky decision perhaps.

Hypothetically say you're a journeyman pro on the PGA tour and you play every event you're qualified to partake in and thereby support the tour, if you missed say only the Canadian Open every year because it clashed with an annual family holiday, you're saying that pro must play that one sole event he hasn't played in in more than 4 years? Seems a very odd demand.

Surely there must be other events Rose could have played in to meet this condition of the PGA tour so as not to miss our PGA championship, European Tour's flagship event outside The Open?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not sure if it's been mentioned or not but so not a fan of the putt line predictor being used by TV - more so when they don't remove it from the screen while the putt is being played and you lose the ball when on the line. For me it really takes something AWAY from the interest and excitement of watching players putt - especially on critical putts. Just feels like the horrid trend these days with tv series when they show clip from the next episode - it's a spoiler and don't get why they do it.

While its only used sparingly i'm ok with it and enjoy seeing the variation on dead weight to the full 'power' route. It's probably still on the edge of under-used for me at the moment

As for losing the ball on the line then maybe switching to a colour TV would sort that for you! :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
While its only used sparingly i'm ok with it and enjoy seeing the variation on dead weight to the full 'power' route. It's probably still on the edge of under-used for me at the moment

As for losing the ball on the line then maybe switching to a colour TV would sort that for you! :D

UNDER-used??? I think it just an awful and unnecessary gimmick

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site

Im sure the bmw is moving to september next year

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Hypothetically say you're a journeyman pro on the PGA tour and you play every event you're qualified to partake in and thereby support the tour, if you missed say only the Canadian Open every year because it clashed with an annual family holiday, you're saying that pro must play that one sole event he hasn't played in in more than 4 years? Seems a very odd demand.

Surely there must be other events Rose could have played in to meet this condition of the PGA tour so as not to miss our PGA championship, European Tour's flagship event outside The Open?

That's purely hypothetical. No pro gets close to playing every single event over a 4 year stretch.

The policy is aimed at keeping sponsors happy, that pay huge sums of money for an event. It means the top 25 or so players don't just play majors, WGCs, Players, Memorial, API, FedEx + their own sponsors events. It means the 'smaller' events get stronger fields.

Rose didn't really have much of a choice, nothing else fitted with his playing season this year.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
UNDER-used??? I think it just an awful and unnecessary gimmick

Totally disagree. It is accurate, coming from the technology Mark Sweeney implemented with aimpoint and brings a unique and fascinating insight into the direction of a putt you simply cannot get from TV pictures especially when there is a big break. Like anything, such as shot tracker, it should be used sparingly but I don't think either are gimmicks and in my mind enhance the coverage