junior shaft attached to regular sized driver head

itsamomentintime

Medal Winner
Visit site
my lad played in a tournament recently and his playing partner (11yrs old) had a US kids shaft attached to an adult sized 460cc head

has anyone else done anything like this? if so, is it straightforward?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Provide the swing weight is adjusted accordingly nothing wrong with it. (the head may feel too heavy)

How easy it is depends on the head. It is a very easy job if the shaft fits on with a shaft adapter.

itsamomentintime

Medal Winner
Visit site
Provide the swing weight is adjusted accordingly nothing wrong with it. (the head may feel too heavy)

How easy it is depends on the head. It is a very easy job if the shaft fits on with a shaft adapter.

shaft adaptor?

I was looking to add the shaft to a non-adjustable head - would that not eliminate the need for a shaft adaptor?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
shaft adaptor?

I was looking to add the shaft to a non-adjustable head - would that not eliminate the need for a shaft adaptor?

If the head does not have an adapter and there is no shaft in it then it is a simple case of glueing (epoxy resin) the shaft in to the head and adjusting the length at the butt end. Remember to buy a shaft with the same outside diameter as the I@dD of the hosel (either .335 or .350). This is putting it simplistically. You Tube will have how to videos

If the head does have a shaft in then some heads can be problematic in getting a shaft out, most notably heads that have carbon crowns.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at going down this route as well at the moment to build a driver for my daughter. Plan is to get a second hand high loft adjustable driver head that goes up to around 14 degrees. An Acer Velocity junior shaft is about £6 and a junior grip about £4, will also need a shaft adapter, epoxy and delivery so I recon around £25 plus postage for the compete shaft. I was going to use an online swing weight estimator to try to get it similar to her current club. You can do the same with a fixed head driver but I believe it's not easy to remove the heads without a shaft puller which is one of the reason I'm looking for a head with an adapter. Also I can just refit the standard shaft and resell the club once she grows out of it or if she is not happy with it so it wont be a huge loss. I've never built a club before so I'm maybe thinking this is much simpler than it actually is but going to give it a go.

itsamomentintime

Medal Winner
Visit site
Looking at going down this route as well at the moment to build a driver for my daughter. Plan is to get a second hand high loft adjustable driver head that goes up to around 14 degrees. An Acer Velocity junior shaft is about £6 and a junior grip about £4, will also need a shaft adapter, epoxy and delivery so I recon around £25 plus postage for the compete shaft. I was going to use an online swing weight estimator to try to get it similar to her current club. You can do the same with a fixed head driver but I believe it's not easy to remove the heads without a shaft puller which is one of the reason I'm looking for a head with an adapter. Also I can just refit the standard shaft and resell the club once she grows out of it or if she is not happy with it so it wont be a huge loss. I've never built a club before so I'm maybe thinking this is much simpler than it actually is but going to give it a go.

where are you getting the shafts and grips from?

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah my son who is 11 is chasing this. He Played in a comp against an 11 year old who had a Ping G*** and was smashing it miles.

Is there an option to get the shaft length reduced. I was thinking of picking up a second modern driver and making it shorter?

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You have to be careful as cutting a regular shaft as it will make it play stiffer which is usually not good for a junior, modern drivers are arguably too long for most male adults so you could end up cutting it down quite a lot depending on his size. I saw the new Ping ProdiG range yesterday, lovely looking clubs basically mini versions of the adult G range, I think it was £189 for the driver and around £750 for a full set, although I believe this includes a shaft change as the child grows so maybe decent value if you can afford the initial outlay.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
He has a set of Callaway XJ Hot Junior age 12 clubs. He lieks them but they are really lofted.

Driver 16 degrees
3 Wood 24
5H 30
7i 38
9i 43
SW 54

He hits his driver between 180 and 200 at present. His 3 wood 170. He wants a less lofted Driver as well as 20 degree wood of some sort. Not a lot of choice in kids ranges though.