Junior Membership

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have enquired at my place regarding junior membership, as I was thinking of signing my youngest grandson, who is 11, up and having a knock round the par three on a weekend, maybe on a regular basis. He's utterly rubbish at the game but is great fun to be with so I thought I'd trick him into getting into the game by doing this. It's £110 a year. Now that seems quite cheap. But he might not be bothered after a few times. So I was wondering how much junior membership is at other places, maybe to use as leverage and should I take a chance. My last club only charges £25 for a year!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Ours is £40 for juniors.

I'd enquire as to what they get for the £110, it might include group lessons etc as well

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours when I asked was £50 a month.

Sod that .. don't think they have many

That would be £150 for me then for all the girls if they wanted to then I'd have to sign up to weekend membership aswell so would loook at £300 a month all in ha

I'd just see if they want to play and if they did can go down the local pay and play course on a Sunday afternoon .. £20 each max

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have enquired at my place regarding junior membership, as I was thinking of signing my youngest grandson, who is 11, up and having a knock round the par three on a weekend, maybe on a regular basis....
All the world's a stage...
The 7th age is upon you!:eek::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 3432

Clubs should be charging next to nowt to get kids into the game. They are your future members..

D

Deleted member 18121

My place is free for under 12s.

Last year my son went to 3 separate kids clubs there, 5 weeks of 1 hour Saturday morning sessions making golf fun, for £40 quid a time.

Hes come round the par3 with me lots of times now, I'll always let him tee off with driver and then he practices short game stuff near the green. Not bad for free.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clubs should be charging next to nowt to get kids into the game. They are your future members..

I think all clubs should allow kids to play with their parents(if members) for free

Their parents will be playing anyways and they could get into the game and grow it

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
For 8-17year olds The Academy via the Club Professional, Assistant Professional and Club Members provides coaching sessions and competitions on a regular basis throughout the year. Membership to the academy costs £30 per year, for which each individual receives an annual gift pack of a golf shirt, sleeve of golf balls and tees. It also gives access to the coaching sessions, which are run twice per week on a Sunday and Wednesday. See ‘Coaching’ for further information.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think Juniors should be around £40 up to age 16. The problem at our Club is the rates fro say 21/30 year olds. Some are on 40k p.a. and are charged on a sliding scale. This means little loyalty

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My last club in the Uk - Willow Valley Golf Club, not far from Leeds - membership is £975 for an adult, and with that, you get one junior free up to 18 years old. There's a 9 hole course, 2x18 hole courses, an academy course with 3 short holes, and a driving range.

If they can do it, why can't all the other clubs?

Maybe some clubs don't want juniors on the course - at £50 a month, I'd definitely be inclined to think that's the case.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We seem to be £75 for Junior Cadet (beginners) and £150 for Juniors up to 18.
I think the Cadets have to take lessons and show they can at least hit the ball before they're allowed on the course..

Might be why we don't have many........

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
We seem to be £75 for Junior Cadet (beginners) and £150 for Juniors up to 18.
I think the Cadets have to take lessons and show they can at least hit the ball before they're allowed on the course..

Might be why we don't have many........

Why not just let them go out on the course when it's quiet? This kind of rationale boils my pi$$.

How do we expect to get kids invloved in golf, if they can't experience the place where it's played.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a junior academy and membership can be obtained after you complete the academy programme. Not sure what the cost is. I started with a a week of one hour lessons in the school holidays, hit the range on a Sunday and then my dad got me junior membership once he was sure I would play regularly

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's junior memberships that is making me leave my current club and going to another with 1x18 hole, 1x9 hole and par 3 academy course plus I can use another course about 30 mins away. My current club wants to encourage the youth, but my boy isn't up to the full course and I want to him to be able to play more. The price isn't the issue at it's £80 for the year at my current club, but it's £120 for the other course but he'll get more opportunity to play.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I have enquired at my place regarding junior membership, as I was thinking of signing my youngest grandson, who is 11, up and having a knock round the par three on a weekend, maybe on a regular basis. He's utterly rubbish at the game but is great fun to be with so I thought I'd trick him into getting into the game by doing this. It's £110 a year. Now that seems quite cheap. But he might not be bothered after a few times. So I was wondering how much junior membership is at other places, maybe to use as leverage and should I take a chance. My last club only charges £25 for a year!

Free for children and grandchildren of members which I think is really good to be honest

D

Deleted member 16999

Just a different perspective from a JLO.

I stepped in as JLO 4 years ago when no one else was willing and the Junior Section had died, at the time it was free to join, however, Juniors were not allowed to play in non-junior comps until they had a single figure handicap and I had 4 Junior members who kids of members.

Had many meetings with England Golf Rep about getting our Junior Section thriving and the first thing they advised was not to run it for free, because then, unfortunately the majority of parents have no investment in the Club and at times treat any organised activities as a babysitting club.

So we went with £50.00 per year up to the age of 18 and last year I had over 60 Juniors on the books, all the membership fee £34.00 goes to my Junior Fund, the other £16.00 is the County Affiliation fee.

For £50.00 they get 365 day access to the course, free coaching 1 hour per week, all competitions are free to enter and have prizes.

Last year a local Estate Agent sponsored the Juniors and they all got a polo and fleece embroided with the club badge.

I have applied for and received in 4 years over 10K in grants, which has been used to run “Get in to Golf” programmes for local Schools and Youth Clubs, “Girls Golf Rocks” and paid for Golf clubs so kids don’t need equipment to join.

The fund has also paid for new Driving Nets which are floodlit to enable coaching to continue throughout the winter and a few other events.

We are just a small Club in the NE and obviously there are many ways to run Junior Sections, but I have to say the “give it away for free” argument really doesn’t hold water, the parents and the kids really do feel part of the Club as “fully paid” members.

We have our own Comps and the Club have now lowered the age for entering other comps to 18, which I believe is correct and gives the kids something to aspire to.

We have also added a rated Junior Course to allow the kids to develop and get a handicap more reflective than taking them straight to the Yellows.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
We had a drive to encourage more junior members and membership for the year was free, it was later found that the fees the club had to pay to the local golf union and other bodies was £40 per junior member per year, it was deceived to increase the a fees for the next to just cover the fees.
I am just trying to point out it is not as easy as some people seem to think to just let the juniors join for free.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting what you say about 'free' @pauldj42 . We had a similar chat at my sons cricket club regarding summer camps they were running. They wanted to keep the cost down but the ecb advisor suggested a middle ground. "You will be used for child care, the kids dropped off won't be interested, they will disrupt those who want to play ' . Yr one they went cheap and everything happened as we were warned. Yr two we charged as advised and it was a much better experience. It's about pitching it right.

Brilliant job by the way.