Junior clubs Aged 13 any suggestions?

coursie77

Visit site
Hi, my lad has been a junior member for a couple of years nearly now and is improving. I got him a set of RAM junior clubs to get him started but he has outgrown them. Any suggestions what I should be looking at next? He is a shade under 5 foot in height.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Ping Prodi G are probably the best junior clubs. Not cheap new, but check eBay as there are usually a few set’s available. Just check the lengths are suitable.

At 13 he’s probably not far off a set of adult clubs. A set of ladies clubs might be a better fit than a junior set.

coursie77

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. He has had a swing with mine and he seems at an awkward size where adults justbtoo big and his current ones too small. Will have a look at your suggestions. Second hand might be the way to go as I'm sure he'll be growing again soon!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When my son was around that age we got him some second hand Ping ladies clubs. They were ideal for seeing him through that age, until he was ready for adult mens clubs. As long as the shafts are not pink or purple, harder to avoid than you may think, no one knows otherwise so his mates wont rib him. Once he has outgrown them they will be easy to sell on.

I'm not necessarily suggesting Pings by the way, it just so happened that his were.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. He has had a swing with mine and he seems at an awkward size where adults justbtoo big and his current ones too small. Will have a look at your suggestions. Second hand might be the way to go as I'm sure he'll be growing again soon!

Buy second hand Pings and sell them on when he outgrows them. You will probably sell them for the same as you bought them for.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Us kids ones hold a good second hand value. Ladies are the same size as us kids top length so I would bother with that suggestion. My daughter is tall so she grew into some adult clubs with senior shafts. Moving into full adults, Costco do decent half sets.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The youth has a set combining a Cobra F8 junior driver, which is brilliant, Ping Moxie 3 wood and hybrid (although the 3 wood currently out of action with a broken shaft) and moxie / US kids irons. All are good clubs, he’s also around the 5ft mark. He did hit his mates Sim2 irons the last time we were out and loved them, so once he grows a little I’ll be getting him into some adult sized irons that will then see him through a good few years. Have a look on eBay etc for some Pings, you won’t be disappointed with them.

Dave Cotton

Visit site
I'm looking at second hand ladies clubs for my 13 year old son right now - he's 160cm (5ft 3). I don't have a big budget & I'm conscious that he will more than likely grow out of them in under 2 years as well!

Good luck

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At 13 he’s probably not far off a set of adult clubs. A set of ladies clubs might be a better fit than a junior set.

Age is reasonably irrelevant it is height etc that counts. Note OP said under 5ft.

Height and age are no real guide to how well they swing might still need a reg shaft just a shorter club with appropriate lie

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Since my last post on this thread, we've had a shake up of Jamie's bag. His Ping Moxie hybrid finally died a few weeks ago, so I've picked him up a Cobra F9 one length hybrid to replace that - which is pretty much spot on length wise for him. I've given him my Cobra Speedzone 5 wood, but put the shorter shaft in it that came with his Junior driver, as he's now in the longer shaft in the driver - it's cranked down on the loft to play more like a 4 wood and it's working really well for him. The irons have been replaced by a set of fitted Cobra Aerojets, couple of degrees flat, lightweight regular shafts, but standard length, so we can tweak them back up a little as he grows.
Spent a bloody fortune, but he's sorted now for a good few years, and he's no excuses now on the rare occasion that I beat him. :ROFLMAO:

Daff

Hacker
Visit site
My daughter has just got some Lynx AI clubs. Very nice they are to, although she's 11 and a little younger than your son. She's had US Kids clubs in the past as well as MKids clubs - all have been good and much better than the telegraph pole hand me downs I had when I started out!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My daughter has just got some Lynx AI clubs. Very nice they are to, although she's 11 and a little younger than your son. She's had US Kids clubs in the past as well as MKids clubs - all have been good and much better than the telegraph pole hand me downs I had when I started out!

The problem with handing down clubs and maybe shortening them is the weight. They're often too heavy for kids who have yet to build any muscle mass or stature, and that just makes it difficult for them to swing them at speed.
Thankfully there are quite a few mfrs turning out very capable junior clubs now.