Joining first ever club at 40 - any thoughts on joining Coombe Wood in SW London

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi

New member on the site. 40 years old; live in Wimbledon; have only played golf a handful of times over the years (so not totally new to the game). Have had 8 lessons since start of year. Things going pretty well (except for hitting behind the ball too often). Had a playing lesson last week at Coombe Wood which I enjoyed.

Have really caught the golf bug and want to join a club. Nervous about joining Wimbledon Common GC due to sharing course with the public (I am one of the public who walk on the Common). Some clubs out of my price range/comfort zone (Royal Wimbledon & Coombe Hill).

Any views on Coombe Wood?

Cheers
The Gentleman

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome along! Cant help on the courses, I think Homer will be along as he was from that neck of the woods IIRC.

Re hitting behind the ball, I am working on this and the reason (For ME!) that i do this is hip slide rather than rotation. Have a look at this one minute vid and see if you see anything familiar! Good luck in the course hunt!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7arV-JnC2E

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi

New member on the site. 40 years old; live in Wimbledon; have only played golf a handful of times over the years (so not totally new to the game). Have had 8 lessons since start of year. Things going pretty well (except for hitting behind the ball too often). Had a playing lesson last week at Coombe Wood which I enjoyed.

Have really caught the golf bug and want to join a club. Nervous about joining Wimbledon Common GC due to sharing course with the public (I am one of the public who walk on the Common). Some clubs out of my price range/comfort zone (Royal Wimbledon & Coombe Hill).

Any views on Coombe Wood?

Cheers
The Gentleman

Welcome along. I know both Coombe Wood and Wimbledon Common very well. I've played both many times. Both are relatively short in terms of yardage but both are tough to score well on and each require accurate tee shots and good irons to small targets. Of the two, Coombe would be my choice of courses but I've never been a member there so have no idea what it's like to get a game regularly, how comps are run etc.

I was a member of Wimbledon Common for many years. It's a friendly club and while the walkers can be a pain at times for the most part there's a good live and let live attitude so it's not normally too bad. Their comps were always drawn and while there were booked tee times in force if you wanted to play early at weekends, after 11.00am (to give those early starters playing out of the London Scottish club time to get round and off the WCGC first tee) it's a case of rolling up and going out and for the most part there are no booked tee times.

As a relative newbie, I know WCGC are very accommodating. I can't comment on how Coombe are but would hope they would be equally as good. I know Jeff Jukes the pro at WCGC and he's a good teacher and would help you with your game if you want a few lessons. Why not make some enquiries at both, see if you can get a courtesy round to see the course and facilities and go from there

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm a member at Wimbledone Common, it's a great golf club. You will ALWAYS get a game and everyone is very friendly and accommodating. We have a new Pro here now, Gary Clements, and he is superb. We've just opened a brand new swing room and Gary will conduct lessons from there or on course, and you can get on course lessons from Jeff too.

The public can be a pain on occassion but generally not too bad. Saturdays are ok, Sunday can be the worse, but you're still not really looking at more than a 4 hour round.

I've not played Coombe Wood, only Hill (which is gorgeous) but I would look no further than Wimbledon Common, it's got everything you need :)