John Senden - Snapped shaft airshot

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Didn't know whether to put this in the rules section or here in general discussion - mods feel free to move if it should be. Just read this and watched the vids https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/tour-news/watch-john-sendens-driver-snaps-mid-swing-170042.

Essentially, his shaft snapped mid swing, which caused him to miss the ball leaving it teed up. The rules official ruled the swing counts, and he was then forced to drop the ball on the tee area and play a three wood from the tee counting an extra shot on the par 5 hole, turning in a bogey at the end of it.

I get that he made a swing at the ball and a normal air shot would be counted, but surely a snapped shaft is an unusual situation and comes under some other ruling, it's not your normal airshot situation.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The rules official ruled the swing counts, and he was then forced to drop the ball on the tee area and play a three wood from the tee counting an extra shot on the par 5 hole, turning in a bogey at the end of it.

Why would he have to drop it? Made a shot, missed - then playing 2 as it lies? Unless, because he has no driver and it's teed up high? And it wasn't yet in play? In which case surely he could place it rather than drop it? Confused!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Why would he have to drop it? Made a shot, missed - then playing 2 as it lies? Unless, because he has no driver and it's teed up high? And it wasn't yet in play? In which case surely he could place it rather than drop it? Confused!
Maybe because it was teed up high and he didn't want to put a sky on his 3 wood...:unsure:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is in the decisions

14/5
Club Breaks During Downswing; Swing Completed But Misses Ball; Clubhead Falls and Moves Ball

Q. The shaft of a player's club broke during his downswing. The player continued his swing and missed the ball. However, the clubhead fell and moved the ball. What is the ruling?
A. The stroke counts but the player incurs no penalty. The ball must be played as it lies.

I do agree with point about the ball not moving and would question why he had to drop the ball at another spot

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is in the decisions

14/5
Club Breaks During Downswing; Swing Completed But Misses Ball; Clubhead Falls and Moves Ball

Q. The shaft of a player's club broke during his downswing. The player continued his swing and missed the ball. However, the clubhead fell and moved the ball. What is the ruling?
A. The stroke counts but the player incurs no penalty. The ball must be played as it lies.

I do agree with point about the ball not moving and would question why he had to drop the ball at another spot
That's not the right rule is it, that says that the ball moved, in this case it didn't.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
The Twitter feed I read said that he had to play it off the "high tee" and not drop it

In his interview (in the link above), he said that he was allowed to drop it after some discussion. Geoff Ogilvy, his playing partner was none to pleased by them counting the shot see his vid clip :)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah he didn't get to drop it. He had to play it off the big tee. His playing partner had quite a good reaction.

Surely he could argue this is the same as when Tiger pulled out of his swing when the bird went past?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely he was aborting the shot ? Missed the ball by some distance. If he had hit the ball it could have been really dangerous, as I imagine there would have been spectators lining the tee, and ball could have gone straight right of the toe end.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely he was aborting the shot ? Missed the ball by some distance. If he had hit the ball it could have been really dangerous, as I imagine there would have been spectators lining the tee, and ball could have gone straight right of the toe end.
In real time it looked as though he pulled out of it before completing the downswing.

Even if he didn't the ruling is bloody stupid anyway.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's not the right rule is it, that says that the ball moved, in this case it didn't.

That is not actually the right one but there are 3 decisions in all and the copy and paste of the other two did not work for some reason

I meant to show this one
14/3
Clubhead Separates from Shaft on Downswing

Q.A player starts his downswing and the clubhead separates from the shaft. The player continues his swing but no contact is made with the ball. Did the player make a stroke?
A.Yes.

but from what others are now saying should this one have applied

14/2
Club Breaks During Backswing; Swing Completed

Q.The head of a player's club separated from the shaft during his backswing. The player completed the swing but missed the ball. Is the player deemed to have made a stroke?
A.No. A stroke is "the forward movement of the club ... ." A shaft by itself is not a club - see Rule 4-1a.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is not actually the right one but there are 3 decisions in all and the copy and paste of the other two did not work for some reason

I meant to show this one
14/3
Clubhead Separates from Shaft on Downswing

Q.A player starts his downswing and the clubhead separates from the shaft. The player continues his swing but no contact is made with the ball. Did the player make a stroke?
A.Yes.

but from what others are now saying should this one have applied

14/2
Club Breaks During Backswing; Swing Completed

Q.The head of a player's club separated from the shaft during his backswing. The player completed the swing but missed the ball. Is the player deemed to have made a stroke?
A.No. A stroke is "the forward movement of the club ... ." A shaft by itself is not a club - see Rule 4-1a.
Fair enough. I'm still not sure that last one applies either as it didn't look like the clubhead came off completely, just that the shaft kind of split. (Unless I missed it.)

Anyway, my point was whatever the rules say, it's grossly unfair to punish a man when his club randomly breaks on the swing and he doesn't even hit the ball. How is that his fault? Absolute nonsense.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He was allowed to drop it because the ball was deemed in play but was now sitting on an obstruction (the tee)