Jack Charlton, another legend gone

D

Deleted member 18588

As the oldest of the '66 team I always felt the World Cup win resonated a bit more with Big Jack.

Already over 30 he knew there might not be too many more opportunities. Among all the photos of the players celebrating I remember one where he is looking up into the stands, presumably searching for friends and family, and the look of pride on his face was there for all to see.

Great player, great manager and according to those who knew him a great bloke.

May he Rest In Peace.

D

Deleted member 16999

A true legend of the game, RIP Jack.

Always remember the programme on TV were he coached kids, best episode was when he was showing the kids how to defend a corner by turning one way in to a forward before quickly spinning the opposite way while elbowing them in the stomach. :)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good player,manager and above all guy RIP

My lasting memory of him was when Hibs played the great Leeds team around '67/8 in a European competition.
0-0 at Elland Road with Hibs bossing the game.
0-0 with about 10 mins to go at Easter Road and Jackie goes up for a corner to stand on the goalies toes.
Ball, goalie and big Jack all hit the back of the net.
Referee allows outrageous goal

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
sad sad day ,being a Leeds fan during the Revie era .
he was a big man not only in stature but in life itself ,a very enthusiastic angler and for the Irish probably there greatest ever manager.
RIP JACKIE YOU WILL BE GREATLY MISSED BY MANY .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw him twice. First at Newcastle airport, waiting in an easyjet queue. As per early flights with them they had about 6 flights checking in, 3 desks open. Total carnage. Big Jack stood bolt upright, perfect posture, his head above everyone else. A picture of calm. Second time, he nearly took me out on a roundabout at Tesco's, Kingston Park ?. He was driving a Ford Mondeo, man of the people Big Jack ?.

Unsurprisingly, he has always been held in high regard up here in the local media but the nice thing is I have genuinely only heard good things about him in general chatter. Not the case with many people in his position.

He certainly lived a fulfilling life.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I must admit having a few tears. As a life long Boro fan, Jack's time at Boro in the 70's, and a brief escape act keeping Boro up in the 84... what a man, what a manager. The players he brought in, how they played and how some of them played when they went on to bigger clubs. Souness, the bad boy at Spurs. Charlton turned him round. Fatty Foggon, fell out of favour at Newcastle and shipped out to Cardiff. Jack brought him in, got him fit again and playing. And the whole host of young players he brought through that went on to good things elsewhere. I could go on and on...

Thanks for some great memories. Rest in peace Big Man, you've earned it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Indeed, sad to hear!
One of my earliest memories of English Football was watching JC playing against Chelsea - on the summary program (black and white newsreel flown over to NZ, so from previous week's games). My how things have changed!). Brutal sport back then - heavy leather ball, massive clod-hopper boots, often sodden pitches, massively different rules on 'fouls' but 'victims' simply got up and continued - expecting to 'get revenge' later of course!
JC was, and forever will be, one of the Greats of UK football!
RIP.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I saw Jack Charlton play in the very first game I ever went to at Selhurst Park in 1965, the year Leeds got to the final, the game I went to was the quarter final where they won 0-3

Over the years he was a huge man in football and like all the Charlton's was modest and a gentleman, may he rest in peace?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Met him in 1976 when Leatherhead played Wimbledon in the 2nd Round of the F.A.Cup. The winners played Middlesbrough and he came down to watch the game as their manager. He sat behind me in the stands at Fetcham Grove, happily signed an autograph for an awe-struck little kid and spoke to me several times during the game.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I must admit having a few tears. As a life long Boro fan, Jack's time at Boro in the 70's, and a brief escape act keeping Boro up in the 84... what a man, what a manager. The players he brought in, how they played and how some of them played when they went on to bigger clubs. Souness, the bad boy at Spurs. Charlton turned him round. Fatty Foggon, fell out of favour at Newcastle and shipped out to Cardiff. Jack brought him in, got him fit again and playing. And the whole host of young players he brought through that went on to good things elsewhere. I could go on and on...

Thanks for some great memories. Rest in peace Big Man, you've earned it.
You lot came down to Wycombe in the 3rd round of the cup in '75...Middlesbrough were top of the 1st Division and we were in the Isthmian League..
Our ground Loakes Park sloped diagonally about 15 feet and it played havoc with the 'Boro boys.
12000 crammed in and watch us hold Big Jack's side to a goalless draw and Boro had but 1 shot on target.
Halfway through the 2nd half we nearly scored and the Wycombe fans, as one, started singing "Jackie Charlton's getting worried, Jackie Charlton's getting worried " etc.. I think I remember him standing up and clapping us....a Legend.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had the pleasure of meeting him last year at Newbiggin GC. He was sitting just inside the entrance, he'd been in for a coffee while his wife did the shopping, that was their weekly ritual. We had a little chat, he asked me how I'd played. It was obvious he wasn't well, but he was lovely to talk to.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For this Scottish schoolboy (and I suspect many others) Leeds of the late 60s and early-mid 70s were my English team - not for the success but because of the Scottish players of the time. I was asked last week about my English team - and if it is any team I suppose it still is Leeds - and that is down to the Leeds of Jack Charlton - so sad indeed to hear this news. RIP big man.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Peter Osgood won't be resting easy if Big Jack's popping in to see him; remember their battles in the 1970 FA Cup final & replay. They'd never have stayed on the pitch in this era.

A great player and a gentleman, one of those players who as an opposition supporter you didn't like but couldn't help but have admiration for. RIP Jack.