It's an ill wind - BRS

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Since BRS was introduced in my club there has been nothing but controversy. In response from pressure from those anti BRS we've gone from full BRS, BRS for part of each day & the current, until 2 days ago, BRS on weekdays from 9.00 & only on weekends for competitions.

In the light of the current situation a decision has been made, quite sensibly, to implement BRS full time, with no roll ups allowed. It was noticeable that the first bookings were by the "dawn patrol". Maybe they'll get to like it once they've used it for a while.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have slowly but surely gone to booking at all times over the past couple of years. we had all the usual the usual grumblings and moanings and some deliberately trying to overbook but slowly and surely it has all settled down and we longer hear any complaints.

One person brought it under it up for discussion at the AGM under AOB but he was the only person to speak about it with no comments from anybody else at the meeting and Captain responded with an acknowledgement so it was quickly on to the next item on to agenda.

The only real noticeable change is that when the booking system goes live at 8pm Friday for Saturday 8 days ahead all morning slots are gone by 8.01 but essentially it is still the same players playing at roughly the same time as they have always done. The booking system does give new members the same opportunity to book a slot as existing members.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Since BRS was introduced in my club there has been nothing but controversy. In response from pressure from those anti BRS we've gone from full BRS, BRS for part of each day & the current, until 2 days ago, BRS on weekdays from 9.00 & only on weekends for competitions.

In the light of the current situation a decision has been made, quite sensibly, to implement BRS full time, with no roll ups allowed. It was noticeable that the first bookings were by the "dawn patrol". Maybe they'll get to like it once they've used it for a while.
Have Castle Eden gone temporarily BRS yet? I seem to remember the comments of a good friend of yours regarding BRS and what would happen if it were brought in :D.

It is the only sensible option right now to avoid groups of people gathering around the 1st tee. It will be interesting to see how many clubs do this and then retain it once they become familiar with it and find it is not the work of the devil.

D

Deleted member 23270

Maybe they'll get to like it once they've used it for a while.
In my experience I've not really seen anyone change their mind. You either like it or you don't. I hate it, it's made my club very cliquey, everyone now seems to have their own regular 4 ball and there are fewer people playing with other members.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have implemented one for all play in the current circumstances. We'll stop using once things get back to 'normal'. We had a members vote on this a couple of years back and use of one for non-comp/casual golf was overwhelmingly rejected. We are a very open club - we don't want cliques created by tee time bookings.

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Whatever clubs do with booking systems, it will always suit some people and not others.

Especially clubs that have a fairly settled membership... the tee tends to police itself with 'that's the half 7 group, then the 8 o'clock lads etc'
But is obviously a culture shock if there are new members, especially a lot of new members or a lot of people suddenly turning up through the week because they're not at work.

Whatever clubs do I'd suggest sticking to it for a pro-longed period of time and trying to make is as simple as possible. At every club there will be an element of 'whoever shouts the loudest will get listened to' as well as an attempt to try and please everyone.

D

Deleted member 16999

It makes absolutely no difference, people play with the same people regardless of whether they book via BRS or use a pencil and a sheet.

The only time it makes a difference is for drawn comps.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It makes absolutely no difference, people play with the same people regardless of whether they book via BRS or use a pencil and a sheet.

The only time it makes a difference is for drawn comps.
This is true. On Saturdays I will play with any 3 picked at random from a rol-up playing group of about 30-36 (and that playing group is from a roll-up total group of about 50). It is rare that there is someone in my group that was in my group the previous week.

I can go months not playing on a Sat am with my GBB (Golfing Best Buddy). Matters not a jot to us. We play together in the comps and ad hoc in evening and other times.