Is this still the rule?

Thread starter #1

chrisd

Major Champion
I was pretty certain that a few years back, in stroke play, if a player played a wrong ball on a hole,and didn't correct their error before teeing off the next hole, that the player was disqualified. I had a feeling that the rule was possibly changed to a (2 shot) penalty being applied. Can anyone enlighten me please?

No, you are still disqualified if you don't correct the mistake before making a stroke on the next hole.

(or before returning your scorecard if its the final hole of the round)

the 2 stroke penalty still applies but strokes made with the wrong ball are not counted

rulefan

Tour Winner
I was pretty certain that a few years back, in stroke play, if a player played a wrong ball on a hole,and didn't correct their error before teeing off the next hole, that the player was disqualified. I had a feeling that the rule was possibly changed to a (2 shot) penalty being applied. Can anyone enlighten me please?
In match play it is loss of hole.

Thread starter #6

chrisd

Major Champion
Thanks guys, that what I said (thankfully correctly) in answering 2 questions during a match taking place in India 😁😁

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
If it is Stableford (which is a form of stroke play) it is zero points for the hole and not disqualification for the round.