Is this really the way forward?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chatting to a couple of visitors as they arrived at the course on Saturday I was astonished to hear that they had booked on line for the princely sum of £5.00 per head! :eek:

OK, so it is a council owned municipal, but does happen to be rated in the top 5 municipals in the country, is far enough away from the towns that we don't get any problems with vandalism (unless you count the deer and badgers) and is a decent challenge of golf. The course is in the best condition ever, in fact the only greens I have played on this year that were better were at Hillside.

Times are hard and most clubs are struggling to retain their existing membership, let alone attract new members, so any new income stream is going to be welcome, but how much, if any, are the club going to see of that £5.00?

There has been a marked increase in the number of unrepaired pitch marks on the greens recently and loose divots littering the fairways in recent weeks - thats not going to be exclusively down to visitors I know (I saw one of the PYB guys in the group in front just walk away after digging a farmers furrow!!!!) but the two do seem to be linked.

So, unless you want to play in the competitions, and many of our members never do, and you play on average a couple of times a week it would be much cheaper to book on line than be a member.

I can't believe that the extra costs of the increase in usage is remotely recompensed from the takings the club will actually receive from these green fee players.

Not impressed! :sbox:

EDIT: - I should point out that it wasn't one of the PYB four finalists I was referring to!

Last edited:

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's the way of the world just now. A little money is better than none appears to be the business model they are using.

I'm signed up to tee off times and the amount of courses doing offers is incredible. Times are obviously v tough for a lot of courses. If the current economic environment persists for about another 5 years (as it might well do) then I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of clubs fold.

A local members course has just asked members for £90 one off payment to generate cash flow. Times are not good and unfortunately the some clubs are in a vicious circle. Falling members and costs are already as low as they can go. Therefore annual subs to up to cover costs and more members leave.

I genuinely think some clubs need to roll the dice and try to cut fees to increase memberships and therefore drive income. It's better than the death of a thousand cuts some are struggling through just now.

Sorry for the rant :eek:

Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Id be inclined to think its better to have someone on the course rather than no one .. they might come back @ full green fee price if the experience is good , or they might generate custom for the club via word of mouth ..

mind you £5 does sound a bit cheap & as you say how much could the club possibly get out of that .. . the only issues i would have is issues of over sell of this under valued offer , that could/would greatly affect on members time , that wouldnt be fair or advisable of any business.. special offer for a limited time , ok , long term , cant see much value for the club at all ..

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
.. . the only issues i would have is issues of over sell of this under valued offer , that could/would greatly affect on members time , that wouldnt be fair or advisable of any business..
in
Club Championships a fortnight ago over 2 days. There are always a few groups that prefer to go out in afternoon, even in drawn comps. There were 4 groups of very low ability green fee players that went out in the 30 mins before the afternoon groups were due to tee off. Because they had booked on line. Result? Some VERY hacked off members!

I do think they should have had the situation explained to them and been held back by the pro, but I think even he was taken aback that it had happened - the fixture list shows the course closed before and during the reserved tee times for the comp!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
in
Club Championships a fortnight ago over 2 days. There are always a few groups that prefer to go out in afternoon, even in drawn comps. There were 4 groups of very low ability green fee players that went out in the 30 mins before the afternoon groups were due to tee off. Because they had booked on line. Result? Some VERY hacked off members!

I do think they should have had the situation explained to them and been held back by the pro, but I think even he was taken aback that it had happened - the fixture list shows the course closed before and during the reserved tee times for the comp!

everyone is having to let people on that wouldn't usually.

Skibo have had to release a few tee times...

£1200 for a four ballis a bit more than a £5 though;)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have a customer (American) who asks me "do I want some money, or no money?"

kinds sums it up for me

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem is that if a number of courses in an area have such good pay and play bargains, people are going to start thinking twice about the need for a membership. I know that there is much more to being a member than just access to a course but those things do not appeal to some sections. Take my brother and his group. They play friendly matches for side bets in the same group every week. Only a couple have any interest in competitions etc so if a number of local courses had really low green fee offers it would suit them to go there every week rather than pay to be full members.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What time were they teeing off? There are a lot of courses that I've played (I'm not a member of a course) where you can book online for a cheap green fee, but after 1pm usually.

I guess if one course does it, they would get all the afternoon hackers, so all courses need to do it to keep competitive!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
The problem is that if a number of courses in an area have such good pay and play bargains, people are going to start thinking twice about the need for a membership. I know that there is much more to being a member than just access to a course but those things do not appeal to some sections. Take my brother and his group. They play friendly matches for side bets in the same group every week. Only a couple have any interest in competitions etc so if a number of local courses had really low green fee offers it would suit them to go there every week rather than pay to be full members.

Your brother's situation sounds a lot like mine. Apart from the fact I play less. There's no way I would get value for money out of a membership, and I also like the variety of different courses. So I play on offers on several local courses, which although they cost more than a fiver, mostly are under £25. I don't imagine I am depriving any members of tee slots, I have a pie and a pint afterwards and the club is getting some money. Horses for courses I suppose, so to speak.

And sometimes clubs do not help themselves. I always try and ring the club up to see if they can match the offer on teetimes etc, so they get all the cash. And several times I have been told that they won't. So I just go and book the same tee time online, and the club must get less of a cut. Madness.

the hammer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Chatting to a couple of visitors as they arrived at the course on Saturday I was astonished to hear that they had booked on line for the princely sum of £5.00 per head! :eek:

OK, so it is a council owned municipal, but does happen to be rated in the top 5 municipals in the country, is far enough away from the towns that we don't get any problems with vandalism (unless you count the deer and badgers) and is a decent challenge of golf. The course is in the best condition ever, in fact the only greens I have played on this year that were better were at Hillside.

Times are hard and most clubs are struggling to retain their existing membership, let alone attract new members, so any new income stream is going to be welcome, but how much, if any, are the club going to see of that £5.00?

There has been a marked increase in the number of unrepaired pitch marks on the greens recently and loose divots littering the fairways in recent weeks - thats not going to be exclusively down to visitors I know (I saw one of the PYB guys in the group in front just walk away after digging a farmers furrow!!!!) but the two do seem to be linked.

So, unless you want to play in the competitions, and many of our members never do, and you play on average a couple of times a week it would be much cheaper to book on line than be a member.

I can't believe that the extra costs of the increase in usage is remotely recompensed from the takings the club will actually receive from these green fee players.

Not impressed! :sbox:

EDIT: - I should point out that it wasn't one of the PYB four finalists I was referring to!

Forgive me if i've missed it but which course is it?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If it is that highly rated then surely it must be able to charge more than £5 per head. Even £10 per person isn't going to break the bank. Some money is better than none but unless it is going to lead to repeat business this surely can't be a successful model ongoing

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think for one off deals and introductions this is OK as it gets the punters to the course where hopefully they will spend spend spend.

Regarding the issue of lowering membership fees to get the members up, I played in a society game recently with a couple of guys who used to be at my course but both left when the green fees were due this year.

Both have moved - along with a fair few others - to take advantage of a great offer elsewhere. The course is advertised as £1 a day - £365 a year if paid in one lump sum and to be fair it is decent. I much prefer the one I am at and cant play mid week when all these guys play (shifts) but if I could it would be tempting. A saving of over £300 for full membership and a decent course can't be sniffed at.

They all drink in the bar and participate in the social activites so all in all the club does gain if it has sufficient members.