Is this racism?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a minefield and so best avoided. Put on the wig, put on the shirt, draw on the beard. Leave it there. The rest is the mum trying to get in the papers.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course it isn't, unless you can believe a 9-year-old girl wanted to dress that way in order to mock black people?

IMO no - but people are spinning it any way that suits them. What about this one?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lon...p-fiction-costume-for-halloween-a3974261.html
I didn't agree that this was racism either. I get that people 'blacked up' a hundred years ago to mock black people with unfair stereotypes, but this man is not doing that. He's dressing up as a film character, presumably a character he admired, so if anything it's a tribute to a famous black actor who portrayed the character. Why tar this chap with the same brush as people who acted out some racist stereotypes before he was even born?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a minefield and so best avoided. Put on the wig, put on the shirt, draw on the beard. Leave it there. The rest is the mum trying to get in the papers.
Well then it wouldn't look very much like Salah would it? I hate when people blow things like this out of proportion because it obscures actual racism that occurs all the time.

D

Deleted member 16999

Kids have done it for years, they want to “be” their hero.
BA69DE57-36C4-4553-8CFD-9916A56861AE.jpeg

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well then it wouldn't look very much like Salah would it? I hate when people blow things like this out of proportion because it obscures actual racism that occurs all the time.

It would look enough like Salah that people would know still. The wig, the hair, the shirt, it is enough. We all know that doing this causes offence to many people so why do it. Just don't, not hard.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
It would look enough like Salah that people would know still. The wig, the hair, the shirt, it is enough. We all know that doing this causes offence to many people so why do it. Just don't, not hard.

That’s a terrible attitude to take. We should work on eradicating the actual wrongs in the world - not tiptoeing around situations and pretending there is a problem where none exists.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s not racism IMO but then you could see why someone could be offended by it - so for that I think it’s a poor choice and a lack of common sense

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s a terrible attitude to take. We should work on eradicating the actual wrongs in the world - not tiptoeing around situations and pretending there is a problem where none exists.
So you prefer to prod and poke at a sore that you know will cause offence to people. Why? There is enough genuine aggro in the world without creating and adding to it.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
So you prefer to prod and poke at a sore that you know will cause offence to people. Why? There is enough genuine aggro in the world without creating and adding to it.

Again, that’s just avoiding dealing with the issue. Burying your head in the sand. Where do you draw the line?

Pick any contentious issue and you could say someone is offended by it so we shouldn’t do it. I hold incredibly strong views about religious events but I’m not saying ban easter and Christmas!