Is there a gap in your bag you struggle to fill ?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me it's the 3i/3hybrid.

At the minute I switch between the 3i callaway from my iron set, a ping g425 hybrid and a titleist u510 driving iron. The 3i is the favourite but i'm inconsistent with each of them.

Looking to cover 215/220 yards. Toying with a 7 wood.....

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site

At the minute I switch between the 3i callaway from my iron set, a ping g425 hybrid and a titleist u510 driving iron. The 3i is the favourite but i'm inconsistent with each of them.

I recently put a 3iron in the bag (it’s got a 2 iron shaft) as I just can’t get on with hybrids.

Like you, those 220ish shots off the fairway were an issue so a 7 wood was purchased and it’s great

Golfnut1957

Visit site
No, I'm good up to 210, with the Srixon hybrid filling the gap after 4 iron.

I have tried various clubs trying to get something that will go 210 and beyond consistently but nothing works. That spot has now gone to the 25* Cleveland which is used to dig me out of trouble, it has turned out to be much more productive.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently put a 3iron in the bag (it’s got a 2 iron shaft) as I just can’t get on with hybrids.

Like you, those 220ish shots off the fairway were an issue so a 7 wood was purchased and it’s great

Nice, which 7 wood did you get ? I tried a pxg one but it didn't work out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Depending on your handicap level I wouldn't get too hung up about that distance. Many on here will struggle from that distance and while I'm trying to hit the green from that far away it is essentially a positional shot and avoiding any obvious danger (water etc). After that I'll rely on my short game. Even on longer par 3's of that length I'm not hitting the green that often but they all come with a moderately low SI so I get a shot

MikeF86

Visit site
For me its the gap between trouble on the left & trouble on the right, I just can't hit a fairway!! 2/13 in my last round. I go through spells of a decent round using my 5 wood or Driver but the next round its gone. I lose countless shots chipping out or being blocked out etc. So frustrating!!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
For me its the gap between trouble on the left & trouble on the right, I just can't hit a fairway!! 2/13 in my last round. I go through spells of a decent round using my 5 wood or Driver but the next round its gone. I lose countless shots chipping out or being blocked out etc. So frustrating!!!

If you're missing it on both sides it sounds to me as if you may need your grip checking

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think I have any gaps, but maybe a different problem in that I never seem to use my 23° hybrid anymore - I need to test it distance-wise against the 7 wood because I have a feeling they are quite similar.

RichA

Visit site
Currently, I'm struggling to hit any club more than 160 yards off a fairway and winter golf is depressing me.
In summer, I was happily cracking my 5-iron about 200 yards so I added the G425 4-iron to my set. It didn't arrive until December. All winter I don't think I've hit anything more than 160 from a fairway.
Summer 2022 can't come soon enough.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depending on your handicap level I wouldn't get too hung up about that distance. Many on here will struggle from that distance and while I'm trying to hit the green from that far away it is essentially a positional shot and avoiding any obvious danger (water etc). After that I'll rely on my short game. Even on longer par 3's of that length I'm not hitting the green that often but they all come with a moderately low SI so I get a shot

I agree it's dependent on a number of factors.

For me, a 215 yard shot is a good number for a layup on a few of our par 4s and for a couple of our par 3's into wind.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
John Letters Bill Cox Camber Sole - 9 iron
HB&S Max Faulkner Avenger - SW
Bronty Tournament - PW
Slazenger Peter Alliss - SW
Slazenger Jack Nicklaus $1m - SW
John Letters Gary Player - SW
Sparkbrook Cypress Point - 9 iron
J.B. Halley Tournament - SW

I could go on but it's apparent how often the wedges have gone missing, to be expected I suppose.

RichA

Visit site
John Letters Bill Cox Camber Sole - 9 iron
HB&S Max Faulkner Avenger - SW
Bronty Tournament - PW
Slazenger Peter Alliss - SW
Slazenger Jack Nicklaus $1m - SW
John Letters Gary Player - SW
Sparkbrook Cypress Point - 9 iron
J.B. Halley Tournament - SW

I could go on but it's apparent how often the wedges have gone missing, to be expected I suppose.
My first set. Can't even remember what I did with them. Sorry.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I struggle with fairway woods and hybrids. The upshot of this is anything between about 200yds and 240 is a two Shotter. On the plus side I tend to split it now for accuracy so 230 out I'd probably play 7i, wedge.