Is my daughter ready to join a golf club

mally

Club Champion
Visit site
I am just after a little advice if possible, my 8 year old girl has been taking lessons for a while now and has shown a real interest in joining a golf club in order to start playing more golf. Te only problem is that both me and her mother don't want to have her feeling out of her depth if she joins and we have ensured that she can actually swing the club correctly before she starts playing. She has played a few times on a par 3 course and has really enjoyed the challenge. The question is should we take the plunge and sign her up for a golf club where she can start to play in tournaments or should we continue with her lessons for a while. Below are a couple of videos of her swing, i look forward to hearing your opinions.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4WnCCdiLrXU&feature=plcp

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9vtrvD5hhM&feature=plcp

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What would be most important is how good is the junior section and how well is it run. Does the club have The Golf Mark which is a standard set by the EG, or are they working towards it. Most Junior sections will not put new players into comps but will support them by providing Junior coaching and helping them get a handicap. So the best thing to do is enquire around your local clubs focusing on how good the Junior Section is. Sorry unable to comment on her swing I will leave that to the experts.

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree it will depend on the club there attitude towards juniors and benefits she will get.
When I rejoined a club last year I had an eye on things such as golf mark junior facitities and attitude as I have a soon to be 4 year old who is starting to show an interest.
My club accepts junior from 6 has a junior course set out and has free coaching on a Saturday morning.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Id say you will need to take her out on the full course some day when its quiet & let her play off the junior tees to see what she makes of the real course , par 3 can be fun because she can get on or close to the green with her tee shot .. its a different thing playing golf ,
Again it will be important as others say to suss out the junior section of a club , does she know anybody in it ? does she mix well with strangers , if she is not comfortable wit that then it could turn her away from golf altogether , where as waiting a few years , she might handle it better ..
I couldnt get the video to play but i reckon the pro she is getting lessons with could/should give you a fairer assesment of her ability than we could .. thre pro might also be able to help with integration into a new club , he/she may have other students there that your daughter could be introduced to before actualy playing ..

Im not speaking from experience or anything , just my thoughts on it mate , best of luck what ever you decide . ..

mally

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions, i will have to have a look at what is on offer round the area, has anyone any recommendations in Hampshire?

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I quite enjoyed crookhorn the few times i have played there, but definately hilly

Mally, where you based at the moment?
I think the course between collingwood and Fareham is decent (cant remember the name). 27 holes there as well

Cams Hall

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
What would be most important is how good is the junior section and how well is it run. Does the club have The Golf Mark which is a standard set by the EG, or are they working towards it. Most Junior sections will not put new players into comps but will support them by providing Junior coaching and helping them get a handicap. So the best thing to do is enquire around your local clubs focusing on how good the Junior Section is. Sorry unable to comment on her swing I will leave that to the experts.

Cant comment on the swing, but in relation to golf mark I think it is somewhat of a box ticking exercise. My club is top notch golf mark. But if you stand on the 17th tee and look towards the practise area you would wonder how. The kids practise area has no protection from golfers hitting from the 17th tee, and if a shank goes their way god only knows what could happen. I pointed this out to the pro who just said people should hit it straighter. They have a net up on another part of the course to pretect houses, what about protecting young lives.

In relation to your daughter, if she can knock the ball around and does not hold anybody up, I'd say go for it, balance the practise and playing and I'm sure she'll be beating you both soon enough. Good time to go is evening and give her odd lies to try out and practise from

mally

Club Champion
Visit site
Mally, where you based at the moment?
I think the course between collingwood and Fareham is decent (cant remember the name). 27 holes there as well

Cams Hall

I am based in Portsmouth but i am currently out in Bahrain. Took a trip down to the Royal Golf Club over here yesterday and was really impressed with their set up, so i can at least get a little practice over here

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At ukmcc? Been there but didn't have clubs last time I was there. Looking forward to next year, il be there on kipion and hoping for some nice stops, mate (ex rn) lives in Abu Dhabi and member at Yas Links

mally

Club Champion
Visit site
At ukmcc? Been there but didn't have clubs last time I was there. Looking forward to next year, il be there on kipion and hoping for some nice stops, mate (ex rn) lives in Abu Dhabi and member at Yas Links

Abu dhabi looks an awesome course, out here for a few months at the moment supporting the MCMV's. i think you can get a good deal in Dubai as well

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cant comment on the swing, but in relation to golf mark I think it is somewhat of a box ticking exercise. My club is top notch golf mark. But if you stand on the 17th tee and look towards the practise area you would wonder how. The kids practise area has no protection from golfers hitting from the 17th tee, and if a shank goes their way god only knows what could happen. I pointed this out to the pro who just said people should hit it straighter. They have a net up on another part of the course to pretect houses, what about protecting young lives.

In relation to your daughter, if she can knock the ball around and does not hold anybody up, I'd say go for it, balance the practise and playing and I'm sure she'll be beating you both soon enough. Good time to go is evening and give her odd lies to try out and practise from

I understand what you say about the golf mark Steve but you do have to produce evidence that you are doing what is required.
It is often the things you don't see that are the important one's like putting safe procedures in place and safeguarding. The golf mark is not perfect or guaranteed to work but it does at least give parents the idea that the golf club is thinking about the well being of it's juniors.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I understand what you say about the golf mark Steve but you do have to produce evidence that you are doing what is required.
It is often the things you don't see that are the important one's like putting safe procedures in place and safeguarding. The golf mark is not perfect or guaranteed to work but it does at least give parents the idea that the golf club is thinking about the well being of it's juniors.

That for me is the most important part, well being covers Health and Safety and at my local track, this is where they should fail golf mark status due to this