Is It Time To Ban The Isle of Man TT Races?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Sad to see 2 more riders were killed yesterday during the TT races.

This bring this years death toll to 5, The headlines this morning are full of videos and pictures if mindless moron's fighting in France over a sport, a horse dies in the Grand National and Animal Rights are up in arms, a F1 driver dies and it's world headlines, yet we allow Motorcyclists to be killed on the roads of The Isle of Man every year under the same banner of sport.
I love the TT Races and watch it every year, but sadly I now think it's got to the point were something drastic has to be done.
A very sad and avoidable waste of lives.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Road racing is very dangerous it is not just the TT that they die in, are you calling for a total ban on road races.

Billy Redmayne who looked to be a future TT star died in Morecambe but it is what they love doing and they know the risks.

S

Snelly

What a load of cobblers.

A sad and avoidable waste of life? You make it sound like the conscripted masses being asked to go over the top in the WW1 trenches.

Everyone in the races would give anything to be there, fully understanding the risks involved.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Definitely should be banned. There's no way the organisers can make the circuit safe on a par with the likes of Donnington and Silverstone. They can't even get the medics to crash sites in a reasonable time.

Plenty of the top riders, i.e. experts, won't race there.

Maybe it had a place in the sport when bikes were a lot slower but that was a long, long time ago.

D

Deleted member 16999

Once again we get the same ignorant responses from some people, if you read what I posted I stated I enjoy it, I totally understand the risks, I am talking about 1 event, simply asked the question is it time to take drastic action. Any death in a SPORT whilst completely understanding the risks is sad and avoidable.
Some people should answer the post rather than the poster, linking it to WW1 is ridiculous

Agree Martin, I have mates that go every year and they are quite certain that some of the deaths are down to the quality of the rider.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Presumably it is regulated? You would have thought the governing body would have been held to account for the numerous deaths over the years. When F1 has a tragedy there is an inquest and changes happen.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Once again we get the same ignorant responses from some people, if you read what I posted I stated I enjoy it, I totally understand the risks, I am talking about 1 event, simply asked the question is it time to take drastic action. Any death in a SPORT whilst completely understanding the risks is sad and avoidable.
Some people should answer the post rather than the poster, linking it to WW1 is ridiculous

Agree Martin, I have mates that go every year and they are quite certain that some of the deaths are down to the quality of the rider.

I live in the Isle of Man and have been around and talked with he fans who come over every year, I have watched the races more times than I can remember so please don't make out I do not know what I am talking about.

You cannot ban something just because it is dangerous.

S

Snelly

Very noble, but who are you to say something should be banned? What else is on your list that millions enjoy but you feel should be outlawed?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

This bring this years death toll to 5, The headlines this morning are full of videos and pictures if mindless moron's fighting in France over a sport, a horse dies in the Grand National and Animal Rights are up in arms, a F1 driver dies and it's world headlines, yet we allow Motorcyclists to be killed on the roads of The Isle of Man every year under the same banner of sport.
I love the TT Races and watch it every year, but sadly I now think it's got to the point were something drastic has to be done.

With all due respect paul, WE don't allow motorcyclists to be killed every year on the Isle of Man, they choose to participate themselves, they are as closely monitored and aided as is possible and they all know the risks, but they consider it the Holy Grail of motorcycling and the purest form of racing. Who are we to deny them that choice; and where do we stop?

if you want to talk about a sad and avoidable waste of life, lets start raising the standard of driving in the UK so that the ordinary, average motorcyclist is safer; in 2013 (probably the most recent year for which statistics are available), 331 motorcyclists were killed and 4,866 seriously injured, the majority of which will be involved in accidents involving cars who didn't see them (or couldn't be bothered to look).

Out of interest Paul, do you ride a motorbike?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I used to be into bikes and I've been to both the TT and the Manx GP. The year I went to the TT 1 racer and 1 civvie died (on mad Sunday)

The important thing to remember is these guys are doing it because they want to. Every death is met with the response from peers that they died doing what they love.

I don't want to see sportsmen die but it is their choice.

D

Deleted member 16999

Very noble, but who are you to say something should be banned? What else is on your list that millions enjoy but you feel should be outlawed?
Read the post, simply asked the question, again, I enjoy it watched races all over Europe, one of the guys that died yesterday was a 58yr old man from up here riding a side car with his son, yes he probably died doing something he loved, but it's not a one off, it's year after year and surely something has to be done and all options should be on the table.
Talking about what is enjoyed by millions you've made it quite clear on here you'd ban the PL and football without batting an eyelid.

D

Deleted member 16999

I live in the Isle of Man and have been around and talked with he fans who come over every year, I have watched the races more times than I can remember so please don't make out I do not know what I am talking about.

You cannot ban something just because it is dangerous.
Wasn't aimed at you, but yes you can ban something that is dangerous if they can foxhunting for gods sake I'm sure they could, if that was the decision, ban 1 bike event.

D

Deleted member 16999

With all due respect paul, WE don't allow motorcyclists to be killed every year on the Isle of Man, they choose to participate themselves, they are as closely monitored and aided as is possible and they all know the risks, but they consider it the Holy Grail of motorcycling and the purest form of racing. Who are we to deny them that choice; and where do we stop?

if you want to talk about a sad and avoidable waste of life, lets start raising the standard of driving in the UK so that the ordinary, average motorcyclist is safer; in 2013 (probably the most recent year for which statistics are available), 331 motorcyclists were killed and 4,866 seriously injured, the majority of which will be involved in accidents involving cars who didn't see them (or couldn't be bothered to look).

Out of interest Paul, do you ride a motorbike?
I'm not against bikes, no I don't have a license, yes been all over Europe watching it, Donnington, Spa, Hockenheim, Am Nurburing, I am talking about this one event, I understand they are doing what they love, seriously, what No is unacceptable, 6/7/10/15 or is it irrelevant as it's their choice?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

OK, you enjoy it, you think you understand the risks. If you are happy taking the risk of killing yourself, fine. Make sure you carry a donor card.

Do you think it is also reasonable to expect society to pay to (literally) scrape you off the road, airlift you to the nearest trauma centre and pay for several weeks of intensive care?

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I'm not against bikes, no I don't have a license, yes been all over Europe watching it, Donnington, Spa, Hockenheim, Am Nurburing, I am talking about this one event, I understand they are doing what they love, seriously, what No is unacceptable, 6/7/10/15 or is it irrelevant as it's their choice?

I think it's the fact that you are singling one event out when people die racing all over the world every year.

We have another road racing event called the southern 100 it's not as well know as the TT but can attract top racers (Guy Martin has competed a few times) there is usually at least one fatallity every year and one year there were six deaths.

I think if their are any calls to ban the TT it should be down to the number of fan deaths ( not during racing) there is usually at least 3 a year.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
OK, you enjoy it, you think you understand the risks. If you are happy taking the risk of killing yourself, fine. Make sure you carry a donor card.

Do you think it is also reasonable to expect society to pay to (literally) scrape you off the road, airlift you to the nearest trauma centre and pay for several weeks of intensive care?

Ask anyone who smokes the same question (obviously not the same question the scraping you off the road bit etc, but the immensely expensive health care required for something so self inflicted)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

I understand why this post was written. It is sad but I think the term 'avoidable' is wrong in that the event is as safe as it could be without diluting the occasion, the riders not being killed due to faults in the organisation. It is racing at the limit and the riders embrace it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ask anyone who smokes the same question (obviously not the same question the scraping you off the road bit etc, but the immensely expensive health care required for something so self inflicted)

You are right. The same broad question applies to parachute jumpers, out of condition 5K runners or Sunday league footballers, people who eat, smoke or drink too much, but there are a range of different issues applying to some of those. Smokers pay a large amount of extra tax and duty to the state for the privilege of smoking (see also drinking). Bikers don't.