Is cycling the new golf?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting article on the BBC site today about why cycling is booming as the number of golfers continues to decline.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/30422698

The reasons given are fairly obvious - golf is hard, takes a long time and is perceived as unwelcoming to many.

The $64,000 question is of course 'what is golf going to do about it?'

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Cycling is hard (uphill), it takes time ( more than in a car) and is unwelcoming ( try it in the rush hour).
Cycling is on the up because we won some medals.
Is the Lycra optional?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If everyone tried to get 1 friend into golf then we would have very healthy numbers.

Some just need a little encouragement.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I wish they would just get over by the curb and dont cycle 2 by 2....

Why? You should give them the same amount of road space as you would a car anyway, and two cyclists fit into that space? If you are squeezing past, there isn't room for you to overtake?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf isn't for everybody, not everyone has good enough hand eye coordination to make the game enjoyable. Golf is a mental sport and as such doesn't appeal to all.

Riding a bike is easy once you learn how and you can quickly become a pretty good rider with the right instruction.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf is tough to master for sure and that has to be a deterrent and/or reason to quit. Many a time I've left the course frustrated and jumped straight on my bike - why - because it's something I know I can do well (relatively) every time I pull on my lycra!!

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Golf should not be perceived as unwelcoming. In my experience great friendships have been made...Now on to cycling, Everyone wants a Sky logo cycling shirt and a 3 grand bike, and think they will become fit toned athletes overnight, go for a run instead (much cheaper, and no free wheeling) They do as they please on roads and pavements.....As for MAMIL..Should read as FMAMIL..Not as pretty sight as a golfer in all his or hers finery....:whistle:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Although cycling requires physical effort, it requires a lot less skill than golf. It also rewards effort in a much more direct way. Cycle more = get fitter = cycle better. We all know that you can spend every waking hour practicing golf, having lessons, buying kit and still be completely useless.

When did anyone contemplate giving up cycling because they kept randomly veering off at 45 degrees right....

I think the absence of sock-nazis is also a significant factor.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Expensive equipment - check
Silly clothing - check
Special gloves and shoes - check
Recent British success - check
Appeals to middle aged men who think by getting all the gear they are better than they are - check
Lots of opportunity to be very teccy about lightweight alloys and carbon-fibre - check
Extensive opportunity for brand loyalty/snobbery - check
Good subject for internet forums - check

Yep could be. :lol:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Expensive equipment - check
Silly clothing - check
Special gloves and shoes - check
Recent English success - check
Appeals to middle aged men who think by getting all the gear they are better than they are - check
Lots of opportunity to be very teccy about lightweight alloys and carbon-fibre - check
Extensive opportunity for brand loyalty/snobbery - check
Good subject for internet forums - check

Yep could be. :lol:

Fixed that

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most people I know who have taken up cycling (myself included) have done so via one of the many Cycle to Work schemes. Once they have the bike, they have very little else to buy (unless they want to take it seriously)..

You can decide at the last second to get out and do a quick 30-40 miles in a little over a few hours... You can have the same amount of fun whether you are a complete beginner or a true hill junkie.. The feeling of conquering that local cat 4 hill in one go is fantastic.. It's easy to join a local group and get out and do some great rides with a great social scene as well.. The fitness benefits are amazing...

There are of course some downsides. Predominantly the attitude of some road users who wrongly believe that paying their car tax means they have priority on the roads. I have personally witnessed 2 morons in a souped up car deliberately run a teenage girl off the road then speed off laughing. Some HGV drivers really don't have any spacial awareness and will quite often leave you with very little option but to bump the kerb.. Dog walkers who don't control their animals can be dangerous...

I love my bike and will be doing plenty more cycling in the New Year. I've got some decent rides planned, including the Coast to Coast and a few Lake District Centuries (got some training to do for those)..

Oh, and for those who don't like cyclists who ride side by side. It's actually easier to overtake than when they ride in a line if you actually follow the highway code.. Of course, in my experience, not many drivers actually know the highway code..;)

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're not wrong there....and the number is equalled by the number of cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians who don't know it....

Agreed, but I'm yet to see a cyclist run a poor innocent car driver off the road :D.. There are guilty parties on both sides of the argument, but one side risks a scratch to their pride and joy, whilst the other risks death or serious injury.. A little bit of respect from both sides goes a long way..

Oh, and you'd think that car drivers would be grateful that more people are getting on their bikes. Fewer cars on the roads is good for all, yes?