Is cycling the new golf?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Normally because they often suddenly disappear!

And in many cases, it has actually been central Government funded, not Councils! SUPER-PEDANT!!

Simply painting a cycle lane on a road doesn't actually make it any safer for cyclists - in fact often quite the opposite, as drains and unrepaired potholes are often in that area so there'll be unexpected 'twitches' from cyclists using them!

These paths are mostly purpose built and relatively smooth and free from obstructions - I know coz I've used them!
Surely anything that separates cars and bikes has to be a good thing?
I can't get my head round why people would rather risk being slaughtered by a car or lorry than having to use a purpose built cycle path...

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
It would also be safer if they used designated cycle paths.
E have quite a few 40/50/60 mph roads that have bends on them.
The Council have built, at great expense, cycle paths alongside these roads. It keeps bikes way from cars, it allows cars to progress at normal speeds

Do they get used?

Hardly ever....

Why?

there are several reasons that cycle paths don't get used. The amount of cars that park on cycle paths, resulting in the cyclist having to make the overtaking maneuver is quite shocking. There is also the fact that most road damage occurs at the edges of the road. Large potholes, damaged grids etc. these are dangerous for cyclists.
I'm all for correctly built and maintained cycle lanes, unfortunately, there are not too many of them around.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if mobility scooters are in place to aid walking, why are these things tootering down the middle of the road? get off the road you idiot!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Whether that's safer is a matter of opinion. Personally I'd say it isn't.

To be fair If the overtaking part is done correctly it should be,and if an accident was to occur no doubt it would be the drivers fault.
But everytime a driver is having to overtake two cyclists riding side by side Theres potential for an accident.

Whether its safe to pull out is sometimes a difficult decision to make. Should elderly drivers and drivers that have recently passed their test be put in such a position,with possible pressure from vehicles backing up behind. Its not always an easy call to make.

My dad rode a bike to work for 30+years and had several accidents which were mainly the drivers fault so I'm all for keeping cyclists safe. But I personally think it would be safer if they rode in single file regardless of what the Highway Code states.

As a regular road cyclist, unfortunately car drives don't give us the correct space when overtaking so riding 2 abreast forces them to slow down, wait for a gap then overtake using the other side of the road. If riding in single file most cars will try to squeeze past putting the cyclist in danger instead of waiting. I had one incident last summer where white van man squeezed between me and a traffic island instead of waiting and clipped me with his wing mirror, could have been avoided if he'd waited quite literally 5 seconds!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a regular road cyclist, unfortunately car drives don't give us the correct space when overtaking so riding 2 abreast forces them to slow down, wait for a gap then overtake using the other side of the road. If riding in single file most cars will try to squeeze past putting the cyclist in danger instead of waiting. I had one incident last summer where white van man squeezed between me and a traffic island instead of waiting and clipped me with his wing mirror, could have been avoided if he'd waited quite literally 5 seconds!

Exactly. When I'm cycling through a pinch point I'm always in the middle of the lane so even the most lunatic driver knows he doesn't have room to get past.

D

Deleted member 15344

The problem is when cyclist do cycle two a breast they can and do cause traffic issues themselves - especially on a busy A Roads during the commuter times - seen cyclists create havoc on the road to Hemel from Leighton

All it takes is them to go to single file to allow cars to pass

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Totally Agree, i was a keen road Cyclist and raced all over the UK and Europe. but not anymore.

I now don't ride at all as all the roads up here are far too dangerous. You are likely to get killed by some lunatic overtaking you way to close at high speeds.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably. Although it was hardly a case of winning the award! :lol:

I think its a way for BBC to look for excuses as to why Rory didnt win SPOTY. Yes its a public vote, nothing they can do about that,but they know the intergrity of the event is being called into question.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think its a way for BBC to look for excuses as to why Rory didnt win SPOTY. Yes its a public vote, nothing they can do about that,but they know the intergrity of the event is being called into question.

Is the integrity of the event really being called into question ?

Only complaints I have heard is from golfers because McIlroy didbt win ?

Its the public that made that choice - the BBC don't need to make excuses

The articles are possibly looking at reasons why

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is the integrity of the event really being called into question ?

Only complaints I have heard is from golfers because McIlroy didbt win ?

Its the public that made that choice - the BBC don't need to make excuses

The articles are possibly looking at reasons why

Outside of golf their is plently of discussion around it. A good example is Ryan Giggs winning it a few years ago and then also the lack of women recognised within the main award.

D

Deleted member 15344

Outside of golf their is plently of discussion around it. A good example is Ryan Giggs winning it a few years ago and then also the lack of women recognised within the main award.

Which women missed out ?

Every year there seems to be the right people nominated

Ryan Giggs was the one year I remember a lot of complaints but that's it really - this year only complaints I have read are from golfers.

I don't think you will ever be able to please everyone but the public get the vote , the main people get the nomination - integrity seems intact to me

D

Deleted member 17920

Totally Agree, i was a keen road Cyclist and raced all over the UK and Europe. but not anymore.

I now don't ride at all as all the roads up here are far too dangerous. You are likely to get killed by some lunatic overtaking you way to close at high speeds.
Its strange that you think the roads up your neck of the woods are dangerous, I have just had a few days up at Inverness and on the black isle cycling and the cars and trucks gave us some considerable space, I didn't feel uneasy at all. The black ice on the run into Fortrose however :eek:

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem is when cyclist do cycle two a breast they can and do cause traffic issues themselves - especially on a busy A Roads during the commuter times - seen cyclists create havoc on the road to Hemel from Leighton

All it takes is them to go to single file to allow cars to pass

So you would rather cyclists are in much more danger, as long as everyone gets home quicker?

D

Deleted member 15344

So you would rather cyclists are in much more danger, as long as everyone gets home quicker?

No I would rather all road users acted in a manner that won't put others in danger.

I would rather cyclists realise going at 15mph on a 60 mph can itself cause danger and issues so must allow for all users - if they are causing a queue then act responsible by allow the traffic to funnel through

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which women missed out ?

The one that sticks in my memory was the 2013 Solheim Cup team who won the trophy on US soil for the first time. I thought they were a shoe-in for team of the year. However, they had the double-whammy of not just being women but also golfers which pretty much ruled them out of the prizes! :D

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
No I would rather all road users acted in a manner that won't put others in danger.

I would rather cyclists realise going at 15mph on a 60 mph can itself cause danger and issues so must allow for all users - if they are causing a queue then act responsible by allow the traffic to funnel through

Bottom line is all road users need to learn how to share the road safely and responsibly. Some (in all types of vehicle) can do it but others will never be able to see anyone else's perspective.

D

Deleted member 15344

The one that sticks in my memory was the 2013 Solheim Cup team who won the trophy on US soil for the first time. I thought they were a shoe-in for team of the year. However, they had the double-whammy of not just being women but also golfers which pretty much ruled them out of the prizes! :D

The Lions won that year with their series victory over Australia so either team is a valid winner.

This year the Ladies England Rugby team won - so that's showing no issues with Ladies winning

D

Deleted member 15344

Bottom line is all road users need to learn how to share the road safely and responsibly. Some (in all types of vehicle) can do it but others will never be able to see anyone else's perspective.

Pretty much spot on -