Is a provisional ball classed as 3 off the tee?

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
Just wondering when a provisional ball is classed as 3 off the tee?

On Saturday on our Par 3 3rd, I hit my original ball left into the rough, due to leaf fall I though best to play a provisional which landed in the green side bunker. After spending a few minutes searching for it we all agreed I'll just carry on with the provisional. I then proceeded with 3 more stokes and carding a 4 for 2 (I had 1 shot on the hole).

However on the Par 4 14th, I hit a drive that went into the trees but I know it's quite open in there so in case I wouldn't find it I played another provisional that landed nicely on the fairway. I proceeded to walk into the trees with another player and spent a few minutes looking for it, we both agreed no point looking anymore and I should carry on with the provisional. I ended up taking 3 more strokes (due to a dodgy chip) and 2 puts to make it 6 for 2 (I had 2 shots on this hole) only to be told that my second shot was indeed my 4th since my provisional was classed as 3 off the tee and in fact should my score should be 8 for 0.

Now I'm quite new to golf so don't understand the rules 100%, although I'm pretty sure that the provisional should have been classed as my second shot as it did on the Par 3 3rd.

Just after some clarification here as to when a provisional is classed as a second shot or 3 off the tee, or if I have misunderstood this rule this whole time.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The first shot with the first ball is 1. The penalty shot is 2. The tee shot with the second ball is 3, so on the par three you actually had 6 for 0 (stableford) and the 14th you had 8 for 0.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If your second shot off the tee was a provisional you always have to add a 1 shot penalty so you are, indeed playing 3 off the tee

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
the provisional is just to save the long sole destroying walk back and save swome time, still comes under the same rules as lost ball and OOB so as stated already counts as 3 off the tee.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A Provisional ball, as described, is ALWAYS classed as '3 off the Tee' - provisionally! You must announce it as a 'provisional ball', otherwise it isn't provisional, so becomes the ball in play (and 3 off the tee).

Here's a link to the appropriate rule (27). http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-27

27-2b describes the conditions under which the Provisional becomes the ball in play.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

On Saturday on our Par 3 3rd, I hit my original ball left into the rough, due to leaf fall I though best to play a provisional which landed in the green side bunker. After spending a few minutes searching for it we all agreed I'll just carry on with the provisional. I then proceeded with 3 more stokes and carding a 4 for 2 (I had 1 shot on the hole).

However on the Par 4 14th, I hit a drive that went into the trees but I know it's quite open in there so in case I wouldn't find it I played another provisional that landed nicely on the fairway. I proceeded to walk into the trees with another player and spent a few minutes looking for it, we both agreed no point looking anymore and I should carry on with the provisional. I ended up taking 3 more strokes (due to a dodgy chip) and 2 puts to make it 6 for 2 (I had 2 shots on this hole) only to be told that my second shot was indeed my 4th since my provisional was classed as 3 off the tee and in fact should my score should be 8 for 0.

Now I'm quite new to golf so don't understand the rules 100%, although I'm pretty sure that the provisional should have been classed as my second shot as it did on the Par 3 3rd.

Just after some clarification here as to when a provisional is classed as a second shot or 3 off the tee, or if I have misunderstood this rule this whole time.

What you have been granting yourself is what the Americans call Mulligans. You pretend your bad shot into the rubbish didn't happen at all and you play another without penalty.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Im nothing going to add very much but will say, Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
I hope none of these were in qualifying competitions (where other players were beaten out of placings) or involved in getting handicap cuts. Its especially bad when they rest of their four ball were unaware of the rules of golf.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Is this in roll ups and are your fellow PP also new to golf ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im nothing going to add very much but will say, Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
I hope none of these were in qualifying competitions (where other players were beaten out of placings) or involved in getting handicap cuts. Its especially bad when they rest of their four ball were unaware of the rules of golf.

It happens....it's one of the best reasons to insist that regular groups (in non-drawn comps) are occasionally refreshed.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
It happens....it's one of the best reasons to insist that regular groups (in non-drawn comps) are occasionally refreshed.

Yes, we play all our main comp qualifiers in regular groups but the finals are made up of groups of 3, one from each division. Let's just say when these regular groups are broken up you hear some "interpretations" and see some "stuff" that makes you wonder!!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It happens because people don't take the time to learn even some of the most basic of rules. And then sometimes they pick it up from people who think the rules from 15 years ago still apply.
Nowadays it shouldn't really be an excuse as you can always pick up a set of rules FOC from your local golf club when they are issued. In fact the 2016 rules have just been released.
Other useful publications are A Quick Guide to the Rules of Golf and Decisions on the Rules of Golf.
The R&A also have the rules in an App that you can download.
See this LINK HERE.

At the end of the day, you are responsible for knowing the rules and playing to them.

This Guide to Etiquette in Golf video is also pretty useful.
[video=youtube_share;rRKzUP1CkFE]https://youtu.be/rRKzUP1CkFE[/video]

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk