Irons choice

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm thinking about investing in a new set of irons as mine are getting to the vintage stage now, even though I've only had them 3 years.

I went to a Mizuno fitting/demo session last week at a local driving range and was fitted for the JPX EZ Forged irons 4-pw. I tried the 6i against my current 6h and was pleasantly surprised to find that I hit the iron further than my hybrid with the best shots. The worst strikes were matching my best with my current club and the most surprising aspect was that the lofts on the Mizunos are identical to my current hybrid iron set, so the better outcomes with the Mizuno can't be explained away by stronger lofts etc.

I'm incredibly tempted to pull the trigger, but the last demo day I went to was a Ping one a couple of years ago. In fact I went to a couple, tried G25 and G30 and liked both. Given all I've read about the Ping G series I fancy trying these to see how they compare, although I note the lofts are slightly stronger by a deg or two throughout the set.

I've now come up with a "left field" choice that I really want to try too, the Benross HTX irons. Now before anyone questions my sanity (or lack of) allow me to explain why. I was recently fortunate enough to win a Benross HTX driver in their US Open Twitter comp. I received the club and tried it at the range a couple of times and I have to say that I didn't think it was much different to my current TM Jetspeed in terms of performance.

That all changed last night! I played a friendly match and decided to try the driver at my home course. I'm glad I did. My drives were straighter and longer from the off which pleasantly surprised me.

It also got me thinking about the rest of their range and the possibility that the outcome might be the same for me with the irons, hybrids and fairways.

So, my question to you all is have any of you tried any or all of the above and, if so, what did you think of them. I'm interested in all views and experiences, good, bad and neutral/indifferent.

Cheers!

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don't know about any of the irons you've mentioned (there's also the problem of what suits someone else may not suit you) but having had continuous issues with my irons (I've tried all sorts) a friend of mine lent me his 'Mizuno T-zoids' and suddenly everything clicked (I now own them) so based on my experience of 'Mizuno' I'd suggest you plumb for a set of the 'JPX EZ's' you were fitted for...:thup:

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Benross are great clubs. I had a set for the last 2 years and they really are great. I had the benross hot speed 2 irons and thought they were fantastic, albeit a bit strong lofted. Tempted to try the new benross irons as I'm not playing too well with my new sticks!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple answer is find somewhere where you can try as many makes and models as you can. I'd definitely be looking at the Ping G series although Benross are a good brand that goes under a lot of radar

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a set of the 850 forged and I love them! When testing, the only other option I was tempted by was the TM rsi 2's i think it was.

I couldnt get over the black clubheads but the M2 irons are definitely worth a try.

Nobbi

Medal Winner
Visit site
I tested all of these except the ben Ross. Really loved the ping g30 but couldn't get them in my lie. Then tested the Cobra fly z and loved them. Bought them and played yesterday for the first time. What a sound they make

Crawley1981

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After getting down to single figures with my trusted mizuno 2004 MX 17's i also had a fitting last week but went for the MP 25's and s5 wedges. Really impressed, fitted monday, clubs arrived on friday. Would really recommend it. Not sure i needed the new driver though.

Had a callaway fitting earlier in the year for the apex but found the mizunos much better and also helped the fitting was on the range with mizuno rather than a studio with callaway.

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the feedback and comments, much appreciated. I think there's a local pro that does the brands I've mentioned plus TM and Titleist so one of tomorrow's tasks will be to give him a call and see about trying some back to back to get a decent comparison.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hard to beat any pings from the G10 upwards.

JPX too from what I hear but I have seen first hand then benefits of the ping G series in new golfers.