Iron Women BBC ALBA.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any of the Scots folk catch this lovely wee programme the other night.
[Most is in English with sub titles for the gael bits]
Well worth a watch if it is repeated or on catch up.
So many women that I know/knew on it from caddying as a boy to Jean Donald. Margorie Peel, Charlotte Beddows. etc. to some of my daughters old county/International golf pals and opponents.
Charts women's golf from the St Andrews Putting club to women members of the R&A.

BTW my daughter started the new year well by bagging an albatross yesterday.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
An interesting look at Scottish Women's golf with some great early pictures and footage.

Made me laugh when the were talking about the poor image that golf in general has; stuffy, rich persons game, etc. The BBC is one of the worst culprits for encouraging this view.

I wasn't very impressed with recreated sections using actors though, there seemed to be more interest in the fashion and the cut and fall of the dresses than any attempt at historical accuracy. When describing Edith Orr's victory in the 1897 Women's Championship the actor wasn't even using a hickory shafted club club but instead a steel shafted iron, on the putting green! It looked like a Ben Sayers "Top Scot" iron from the 1980s, almost a hundred years out. :eek:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes i watched it. Very interesting but infuriating at times.

Was disappointed that it seemed to give the impression that everything was fine nowadays. I know the participants discussed some of the current issues but that ended on the cutting room floor.

As a boy I caddied for Charlotte Beddows [Watson] and Jean Donald. Charlotte was an old war horse who was still taking lessons and playing for East Lothian in her 70's. She had a habit of pulling up opponents on rule breaches.
Jean Donald [Anderson] was a lovely person and a really stylish golfer.

Crow thanks for the link(y) Yes the models were a bit grim. BBC Alba so probably skint and could not afford an advisor.:love: