Iron shaft importance

evemccc

Visit site
AFAIK strike is King, and the importance of a (fitted) shaft is to help deliver the club optimally, based on your own swing characteristics..

Does this mean that the shaft impacts club-path more, or club-face more?

My assumption / guess is that it is clubface…and the tendency of a closed clubface is exacerbated by a too-light/too-weak shaft…and vice-versa

Am I correct?

evemccc

Visit site
I always thought the story was that it gave the recoil kick at the right moment to optimise head speed.

I have no idea 🤷‍♂️

My clubs were not fitted for me…but the optimistic side of my head sometimes wonders if they were fitted how much better I would/could be 🤣🤪🤣🤪

When I went on a launch monitor last year I was told my club path was good but face control is too closed…wondering if heavier shafts could help?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I have no idea 🤷‍♂️

My clubs were not fitted for me…but the optimistic side of my head sometimes wonders if they were fitted how much better I would/could be 🤣🤪🤣🤪

When I went on a launch monitor last year I was told my club path was good but face control is too closed…wondering if heavier shafts could help?

A slight grip change might be an easier fix.

Shep1

Visit site
I have no idea 🤷‍♂️

Does seem more something more for a Pro to check than a Fitter.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
My personal belief is that shaft weight is most important as it allows a player to swing a club with best efficiency for their strength, swing speed, aggressiveness and transition characteristics. Matching the weight to these factors enables the golfer to swing in a more controlled fashion, delivering the club to the ball at the optimum combination of effort, speed and path. In short...correct weight helps your rhythm, once you have good rhythm then your swing and clubhead delivery will be more consistent and you can then go on and look at other factors such as flex which may affect face and dynamic lie angle.

Shep2

Blackballed
Visit site
My personal belief is that shaft weight is most important as it allows a player to swing a club with best efficiency for their strength, swing speed, aggressiveness and transition characteristics. Matching the weight to these factors enables the golfer to swing in a more controlled fashion, delivering the club to the ball at the optimum combination of effort, speed and path. In short...correct weight helps your rhythm, once you have good rhythm then your swing and clubhead delivery will be more consistent and you can then go on and look at other factors such as flex which may affect face and dynamic lie angle.
Does it affect whether the clubface is closed through the strike though, which was the OP's question! I think the player's swing, particularly the hands, has far greater effect on that!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have no idea 🤷‍♂️

Heavier shafts might help, not certain. There may be several other factors at play.
Before you get all that sorted, I would suggest aiming slightly to the right. ;)

evemccc

Visit site
Heavier shafts might help, not certain. There may be several other factors at play.
Before you get all that sorted, I would suggest aiming slightly to the right. ;)

Weirdly with my irons I am pretty accurate and I definitely do not have a tendency to hit it left — perhaps only when I’m trying to muscle a club harder than I should (which leads me to think a heavier / stiffer shaft may help?), or, occasionally with my longer irons but certainly with 7 and down there is no ‘left’ tendency

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Does it affect whether the clubface is closed through the strike though, which was the OP's question! I think the player's swing, particularly the hands, has far greater effect on that!

I do not believe that shaft has anything like the influence on face angle, as it does on tempo and timing...which are likely to impact directly on swing path...in my opinion, hand position on the grip and the strength with which you are gripping the club will have far more influence on how much you square (or dont) the clubface....certainly more influence than flex/weight of the club.

Shep2

Blackballed
Visit site
I do not believe that shaft has anything like the influence on face angle, as it does on tempo and timing...which are likely to impact directly on swing path...in my opinion, hand position on the grip and the strength with which you are gripping the club will have far more influence on how much you square (or dont) the clubface....certainly more influence than flex/weight of the club.
Did you read post 3 then? FWIW, I agree with you, so Pro likely better, and cheaper, thn Fitter to corect whatever issue the OP has

Jason.H

Visit site
I can’t answer any of the questions but my personal experience, my irons are DG105 stiff shafts , they give me the height I want and my careless shots I miss slightly right, straight or slight fade so I play a touch left of the flag. My fairway woods and hybrids are all regular. This gives me plenty of height and a slight draw bias. My driver is stiff yet light )60 gram) and this is pretty straight neutral. I know people will say my bag is a bit mixed up but I love every club and know what their tendencies are.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a lot of info on the Precision golf youtube channel.

They did a fitting with Carley Booth, which I've started.watching, it's a long video though