iPhone 5 - early impressions.

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, got hold of my iPhone 5 this morning and spent half an hour or so setting it up via iCloud with my iPhone 4 content.

First impressions are good - it's lighter, thinner, whiter(!!!) and definitely quicker. It's the same width as the 4/4S, but taller so sits nicely in the hand and affords you an extra row of apps on each screen. The new earphones are a VAST improvement on the previous versions too!! Not had the chance to play with Siri yet, but looking forward to doing so.

Downsides - well each of my downloaded apps still appears as if it were on the smaller screen so there are gaps at the top and bottom. Not sure if its up to the individual developers to update for an iPhone 5 version of each or if there will be a separate section on the App Store for '5' apps?

Maps issues have already been well documented, but its no real biggie for me as I rarely used the Google version on the 4 anyway.

I was due an upgrade and am happy that I went for the 5, but not sure if I'd pay up my contract to get one right now if I was half way through a 4S agreement, given that iOS 6 went live on Wednesday past.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a go with the updated siri on my mates 4s, you have to be quite clear but it is pretty good, still more on the gimmick side than an everyday tool imo, the app thing sounds annoying but i imagine over the next few weeks the majority of apps will get updated

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went from 3gs to 4s and it will be my last iphone. Next handset will be android based. Had a play with my sons One X and its immense, he wont swap with me though grrrrr.

I dont think the 5 is a massive step forward tbh, a few tweaks but nothing of major change to warrant getting one over other phones out there at the moment

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've had all iPhones, thats enough, the new Sony Experia T looks like it will do what I want with a phone- apart from calls its 13 megapixel camera and Full HD video recording as well as not having to work with effing iTunes again, seals it for me

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'll be watching this thread closely!

My upgrade is due 25th of October and I'm very interested in how the iPhone 5 shapes up.

TBH, nothing out there at the minute takes my fancy. I like the look of the Samsung S3, but cannot abide Andriod OS. I'm on Windows phone at present and, pretty happy with it.

Windows OS 8 is out not sure I like the look, nor the handsets that support it.

The only stumbling block I had was use of Microsofts' SkyDrive and integrated social networking, but, apparently SN has been intergrated in IOS6 and "There's an App for that" as regards tom SkyDrive, so no draw backs.....

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got the Samsung galaxy 3 and even though the phone is great it seems a lot of apps from when I had an iPhone are more available for iPhone's and not androids.

I love the Galaxy S3, the screen is a good size for camera pictures and videos and YouTube is immense when connected to WiFi.

I've had iPhones since they came out and got the S3 2 months ago so I'm still in honeymoon period with it so I'll be keeping tracks of the iPhone 5's progress since I fell for the iPhone 4 when it came out and got all the network problems.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Many users are also experiencing problems with connecting to wifi.

I think this must be an IOS 6 issue.
Since upgrading to it my iPhone 4 wifi has been very slow and if signal is weak it struggles to maintain if screen gets locked. Each time I re opened the phone I lost the wifi and had to move to a strong area to regain it and move back to where I was. It stays connected as long as I keep the phone "Awake".

Hope they sort it soon.
On side note my 5 still has not arrived.