Interesting article in another site

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was reading twitter today and came across an article on NCG,
From hybrid testing it seems that we low speed swingers hit a 23 degree hybrid further (if not the same) than a 19 degree hybrid.
Now from personal experience I remember hitting a 24h titleist 910h as far as the 19 degree version, same with the RBZ MK1.
Would us lower SS (think 90mph with driver) benifit from a more traditional set up of Driver,3W,5W,21H,5iron?
I say this as my 5i is 23 degrees.

Any thoughts on it, love my refurbed v steel 5 w so thinking of adding the 3w.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would us lower SS (think 90mph with driver) benifit from a more traditional set up of Driver,3W,5W,21H,5iron?

surely the logic of the article suggests that -

1. you will hit the 5w as far, or further, than the 3w?
2. probably further than the driver too.....

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hit my 18 further than my 21 degree hybrid and hit that further than my 23 which I don't hit any further than my 5i (but carry it for shots out of the rough).

Not sure that helps!!

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I probably class as a slow swinger and don't think this is true. When hit well i get 180-190 out of my 3H and 165-170 out of my 4.....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Was reading twitter today and came across an article on NCG,
From hybrid testing it seems that we low speed swingers hit a 23 degree hybrid further (if not the same) than a 19 degree hybrid.
Now from personal experience I remember hitting a 24h titleist 910h as far as the 19 degree version, same with the RBZ MK1.
I say this as my 5i is 23 degrees.

90mph Driver SS isn't particularly low - though not high either.

And it really depends on how you want to use hybrid. If for low shots (wind) then 19* can work well - especially with heavy shaft. For high, soft landing (or use from rough) then lighter higher loft and lighter shaft works well - certainly for me.

The 4* difference I have works well - when I'm swinging well.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Slower swing speed golfers definitely have more trouble, generally, getting lower lofted hybrids to fly.
A fast swinger can generate the speed and spin necessary to get the ball in the air and keep it there
Centre of gravity on a hybrid is lower than the corresponding iron but higher than the equivalent fairway wood.
A fast swinger, generally, won't get much more out of a 19degree 5 wood than a 19 degree hybrid but a slower swinger will get much more due to extra spin keeping the ball in the air.
I'm hitting my 20 degree Anser hybrid like a dream at the moment - it's a goto club.
I thought I'd give the 17 version a go - can't use it! It's really hard to get the ball in the air.
The Steelhead 5w does it much much better......

Generally, and there are exceptions, slower swingers should leave lower lofted hybrids alone and use fairways instead.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slower swing speed golfers definitely have more trouble, generally, getting lower lofted hybrids to fly.
A fast swinger can generate the speed and spin necessary to get the ball in the air and keep it there
Centre of gravity on a hybrid is lower than the corresponding iron but higher than the equivalent fairway wood.
A fast swinger, generally, won't get much more out of a 19degree 5 wood than a 19 degree hybrid but a slower swinger will get much more due to extra spin keeping the ball in the air.
I'm hitting my 20 degree Anser hybrid like a dream at the moment - it's a goto club.
I thought I'd give the 17 version a go - can't use it! It's really hard to get the ball in the air.
The Steelhead 5w does it much much better......

Generally, and there are exceptions, slower swingers should leave lower lofted hybrids alone and use fairways instead.

My 5w is all or nothing and a beauty when it's the all version. Can't hit my 3 wood for toffee. The heads just look to big for my eye so was thinking about finding a smaller headed fairway wood which is somewhere between the traditional hybrid shape and the newer, larger fwoods.

Any suggestions?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Look at the Callaway Steelhead range - old I know but quite small compared to modern fairways
They're readily available on The Bay and the Regular graphite is fairly soft if I remember...
They make a lovely "Ting" when you hit them correctly.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Look at the Callaway Steelhead range - old I know but quite small compared to modern fairways
They're readily available on The Bay and the Regular graphite is fairly soft if I remember...
They make a lovely "Ting" when you hit them correctly.

I've seen mention of those in a few threads so will look on Ebay :thup: I can live with a ting rather than a ping on impact!!