Integrating and finding playing partners.

Buckles01

Visit site
Evening all, long time lurker and 1st time poster here. I’m a relative newbie to this addictive game. Never picked up a club in anger before April last year and in attempt to find a long term hobby joined my local club during the summer. I’m still pretty inconsistent but have moments of sheer genius dispersed between absolute dross. What’s the best way to integrate, find playing partners when joining a club? Playing solo is great but would love to become more involved. Any tips folks?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would speak to the pro, secretary or general manager. Ask about roll up groups which usually go out at the same time on set days. Easiest way to meet up with a decent sized group and get a game. My club also runs a buddy scheme for new members to help them settle into the club. https://www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk/join-us/buddy-scheme/

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome and hope it goes well on here and at your Club. Perhaps tell us a bit about yourself, where you play, handicap if you have one, likes, other hobbies.

Do you know anybody at your new Club. What is the system for competitions if you are at that stage? Have the Club offered any guidance? Do the club have roll ups? Sure you are aware what these are but if not they are where members meet at a set rime each week, usually draw for partners and play a game with so much contributed by each player. Different rules but perhaps the best score and 2nd divide the money. Ask the Club what they offer new members and whether there is a member who should be looking after you..

Enjoy GM Forum and whatever you do do not mention out driving a 4 handicapper with over 300 yard drive on the 17th!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Geez they sign up for a new user name quicker and quicker these days ;)

only kidding welcome to the madhouse. jump straight in, ask at the club, ask people who are going out to play if you can join them, see if the club have roll ups that you can join in with

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The first thing I would say is don't worry about the fact you are a beginner or inconsistent and sometimes rubbish. We all know what that is like, sometimes with very recent experience. Most club players want to play with someone who is a decent bloke (or blokess) and is pleasant to be with, regardless of their ability.

A lot of clubs have roll-up competitions or rounds, where you basically turn up between 7 and 10, or whatever it is, and the pro or some volunteer members pair groups up. It is a great way to meet new people and play with a mix of abilities. Then you will meet other players and start to develop more regular groups.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I found playing in competitions the simplest way.

Our secretary used to ask our roll up and others if new members could join in and we have always been happy to except them.

Many started with us and through our advice found tee times with others better suited to their life styles (we go out mid morning so effectively it takes up the whole day) and many have stayed with us.

Buckles01

Visit site
? thank you for the welcome, as I say a lurker and no claims of being the next Bryson just yet!!! Coming from a back ground of football and cricket but a little on the wrong side of 40 to continue along that vein. Always played sport and thought I’d give it a go, wanted something to challenge my self and I won’t lie the pandemic got me thinking about work life balance and just being out in the fresh air really sold the notion. I approached the club at the time and unfortunately roll ups etc were ceased due to covid, they are now back up and running (Saturday am and one midweek morning) - unfortunately I work then. The competition’s are held on Sunday’s so realistically I play evenings and once the comps have finished at the weekend. Handicap wise I’m ready to put my cards in, best round was 91 and now constantly under a 100. Like I say, self taught and learning as I go. Is it good form to just add yourself to other groups on tee booking during casual play or is it frowned upon?

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
My club started a WhatsApp group for new members and existing members looking for playing partners. I've found it excellent loads of chances to play and meeting nice people. You could suggest that are your club I'd bet there would be plenty of people who would get involved. Good luck.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
? thank you for the welcome, as I say a lurker and no claims of being the next Bryson just yet!!! Coming from a back ground of football and cricket but a little on the wrong side of 40 to continue along that vein. Always played sport and thought I’d give it a go, wanted something to challenge my self and I won’t lie the pandemic got me thinking about work life balance and just being out in the fresh air really sold the notion. I approached the club at the time and unfortunately roll ups etc were ceased due to covid, they are now back up and running (Saturday am and one midweek morning) - unfortunately I work then. The competition’s are held on Sunday’s so realistically I play evenings and once the comps have finished at the weekend. Handicap wise I’m ready to put my cards in, best round was 91 and now constantly under a 100. Like I say, self taught and learning as I go. Is it good form to just add yourself to other groups on tee booking during casual play or is it frowned upon?

Should be fine, but can vary a bit depending on the club. Some are more cliquey than others. If the sheet is managed by the pro shop, they can usually give you some help - like "I'll put you down with Dave and Bob, they are pretty friendly". If you enter yourself, maybe once you get to the club ask the shop if the other guys on your time are there, and introduce yourself "Hi, I'm Buckles, new member. I put my name down along with you. Is that OK?".

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

If you’re consistently under 100 I’d sign up for comps, by far the easiest way to meet other members. Try for a stableford comp first as it’s a bit more friendly and you can just pick up if you’re having a nightmare hole. It’s a good way to meet other members in a short space of time (assuming you have comps most weeks), and also allows you to suss them out… if you don’t get on with them just don’t book in with them again.

This is what I’ve done at a couple of clubs now and it’s worked well. Good luck.

Buckles01

Visit site
If you’re consistently under 100 I’d sign up for comps, by far the easiest way to meet other members. Try for a stableford comp first as it’s a bit more friendly and you can just pick up if you’re having a nightmare hole. It’s a good way to meet other members in a short space of time (assuming you have comps most weeks), and also allows you to suss them out… if you don’t get on with them just don’t book in with them again.

This is what I’ve done at a couple of clubs now and it’s worked well. Good luck.
Would I be allowed to “enter” competitions without a handicap? Or can I use this way to tag along and get my cards in? To be honest I’ve pretty much shied away on competition days but something like a Stableford sounds ideal, I’m pretty confident my etiquette will be up to scratch ? I certainly won’t be going toe to toe with the with the 4hc big hitter though initially.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Evening all, long time lurker and 1st time poster here. I’m a relative newbie to this addictive game. Never picked up a club in anger before April last year and in attempt to find a long term hobby joined my local club during the summer. I’m still pretty inconsistent but have moments of sheer genius dispersed between absolute dross. What’s the best way to integrate, find playing partners when joining a club? Playing solo is great but would love to become more involved. Any tips folks?

I've been at this lark for 45 years and all that has changed is the proportions. ;):LOL:

Speak to the pro or the secretary, find out when your roll ups are, sign up to those and see if there are any WhatsApp groups that organise games that you can get onto.

Your ability isn't any issue to finding partners; we've all seen it before, done it before and we'll probably do it again, whether we want to or not. If you're good company you'll do just fine.

Welcome to the madhouse. (y)

Last edited:

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would I be allowed to “enter” competitions without a handicap? Or can I use this way to tag along and get my cards in? To be honest I’ve pretty much shied away on competition days but something like a Stableford sounds ideal, I’m pretty confident my etiquette will be up to scratch ? I certainly won’t be going toe to toe with the with the 4hc big hitter though initially.
Depends on your club I guess, but that's basically what I did at my club for my initial handicap. I turned up at one roll up and asked the pro to reserve a place for me in a couple of comps. My playing partners marked my cards, and a few days later all was sorted.

I wasn't actually "in" the comp, and they didn't charge me the comp fee, but it was a handy way to get my handicap and meet a few people.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I didn't know anybody when I joined my club. I played in a few medals, and then met with a group on Captains Day and have played with them since.
The more you play, and the more people you meet, the more you are likely to integrate yourself into the club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I recognise your little dilemma from when I joined as I didn't know a single member, and so some years I make myself available to partner with a newbie in the summer pairs comps or pairs comps that are run during the year. I tell the office and shop so they can put such as yourself in touch with me.

So just let them know you are keen to play...you never know - often they will know who might be available for you to pair with.

Also if your club has an Academy the Academy organisers will know the members who mentor and help out so may be able to help you find a playing partner for pairs comps.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think most clubs will allow you to play in a "competition slot" without actually being in the competition - this way you can get your card marked for handicap - especially if you dont know enough folk to be able to get cards marked in social, general play, rounds.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Id go to the pro, or secretary, tell them when you like to play and ask if there's anyone they would recommend joining up with. May take a couple of weeks of hopping between groups who have a space, but just being around the tee when you'd like to play will normally get you introduced to potential new players with similar golf schedules. Within that experimental time get some cards signed and hey presto handicap sorted too