Initial handicap

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all

Been handing my cards in for my initial handicap. It's a 9 hole course with 18 tees therefore I had to do 3 on the front and 3 on the back. My cards varied from a 39 (best ever at my home club) to a 55 (shocker).

Most of the cards were in the mid 40s and I was expecting to be off anything from 22-25 as I haven't been playing golf all that long and I'm just so inconsistent (as soon from the 39 - 55!)

Imagine my surprise today when I got the confirmation email to say my initial handicap is 15!!!!

GULP. Doesn't look like I'll be winning any competitions!!

Anyway, I emailed the Sec and she said the new algorithm seems to be giving lower handicaps because of the Mexican scenario. Without wanting to look stupid, I didn't question this. What on earth does this mean?!

I look forward to a lot of weeks getting less than 20 points and seeing it increase by 0.1 every medal!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The cards get paired in order to make up 3 18 hole cards and then "adjusted" which means that any score over a double bogey is reduced down to a double and take of the SSS to get something called a adjusted gross differential. Some more calculation stuff (involving too many decimal points to remember) essentially takes it down another 2ish and that is your starting hcp.

Last edited:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
the difference between your best adjusted round less SSS is then multiplied by .9135, The resulting figure then has the decimals knocked off to give your official handicap

Thus a best adjusted score of 90 against a SSS of 72 would be 18 x .9135 would give an initial handicap of 16.

The algorithm has nothing to do with the "Mexican scenario" it uses the same algorithm uses in the annual review reports

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the Mexican comment is the belief that the new formula attempts to do something about new handicap awards being looked upon with some suspicion. Prior to the new formula's introduction, the calculation was simply SSS deducted from the best adjusted card - i.e. all scores higher than double bogey rounded down to double bogey. The new formula will produce a figure around 2 less than the old calculation.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Joining a club soon and will be getting my first handicap too - will be a bit of a shock I think as I usually just play off 18 with 3 very similar standard mates in social knocks. Expecting something around 14/15 but looking forward to the challenge of getting it down over time - already set a goal of 12 by this time next year.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
the difference between your best adjusted round less SSS is then multiplied by .9135, The resulting figure then has the decimals knocked off to give your official handicap

Thus a best adjusted score of 90 against a SSS of 72 would be 18 x .9135 would give an initial handicap of 16.

The algorithm has nothing to do with the "Mexican scenario" it uses the same algorithm uses in the annual review reports

Just out of interest how does the ustment work with '+' handicaps because you would be raising it rather than lowering it. Unless I'm being thick.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest how does the ustment work with '+' handicaps because you would be raising it rather than lowering it. Unless I'm being thick.

Pretty unlikely that a potential '+' handicapper would be submitting 3 cards for handicap. If that unlikely event did take place, the cards would be handed over to the County Union for handicap allocation.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had something similar at my place. I handed in cards of 93, 100 and 102 I think, or there abouts (the par is 68). I was expecting them to do a sort of average of the three and I'd be around 27-ish, but they basically just used the best card and ignored the other two, and put me on 24. At the time I was pleased but I haven't managed to quite play to it yet (I've been scoring 29-30 odd points in the Stablefords). Still, a challenge is always good.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Pretty unlikely that a potential '+' handicapper would be submitting 3 cards for handicap. If that unlikely event did take place, the cards would be handed over to the County Union for handicap allocation.

That makes sense. An unusual scenario I agree but happen to know someone who is handing in three cards for his handicap at the moment. It's likely he will be '+'. Do the same rules apply in Scotland?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
That makes sense. An unusual scenario I agree but happen to know someone who is handing in three cards for his handicap at the moment. It's likely he will be '+'. Do the same rules apply in Scotland?

I think it has to go to the National Union in Scotland rather than County/Area.

D

Deleted member 15344

The local area authority will have to decide

I'm guessing he previously had a HC at one stage so if they know what that is they can judge it but it's got to be a very rare occasion that someone gets a new HC that is a +

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Out of interest, when was this algorithm introduced? I have a mate who had a new handicap a few months ago, want to check whether this method was used. Thanks

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
To those who are new to golf - or to official handicaps - always worth remembering that although you hand in three cards, it is only the best one (after the "double bogey adjustment") that gets used. One may wonder why you need to submit three in that case, but really it's only to demonstrate that the card is indeed the best of three.

jhills89

Medal Winner
Visit site
I to only got my first handicap 2 months back and handed in 2 x 13 overs and 1 x 17 over.

I was just as shocked to get given a 10!. However don't be put off by it, You will find that you actually get close to it once you play in some comps and start to think about your game more. And if not it will even itself out. in the first year your handicap can change so much. It will settle on your true handicap

D

Deleted member 21258

Out of interest, when was this algorithm introduced? I have a mate who had a new handicap a few months ago, want to check whether this method was used. Thanks

I would imagine quite a while ago, as got my handicap last March 16 and the lowest card I put in was IIRC 12 or 12 over(without anything more than doubles) and ended up with an initial handicap of 10(much to my shock!)