Initial Handicap

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
After some advice guys......

Joined my first club last Autumn, been playing regularly, solo and with some nomad mates, but haven't yet got my handicap sorted. Planned on doing so once the weather and conditions improved in the Spring, but at the same time booked a course of lessons. Game went backwards initially so put off getting the handicap.

Now feel I'm back to where I was at least, probably improved slightly, and my pro is pleased the way its going.

My dilemma is whether to play now, and accept that I might get a handicap a bit higher than I would like (maybe 22-24) or wait until I can work on the lessons a bit more and hope to start with my handicap 18-20. Am just a bit concerned that cuts might be slow initially. 0.1's could take a while to get me to my 18ish initial target!

Plan is to enter some comps and submit cards as that will be a quicker option than fixing up games with members, given I don't know that many yet.

Any thoughts?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Get it done asap
Cuts will look after themselves
Get your handicap and get playing - if you're good enough to get to 18 or below then you'll do it.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The cuts don't become 0.1s until you get down to a handicap of 5. A handicap of 22-24 is a Cat 4 handicap and your reductions are 0.4 for each stroke better than CSS. You're worrying too much. Just slap in the cards for handicap and get playing in comps. Your handicap will soon reflect your standard of play.

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
After some advice guys......

Joined my first club last Autumn, been playing regularly, solo and with some nomad mates, but haven't yet got my handicap sorted. Planned on doing so once the weather and conditions improved in the Spring, but at the same time booked a course of lessons. Game went backwards initially so put off getting the handicap.

Now feel I'm back to where I was at least, probably improved slightly, and my pro is pleased the way its going.

My dilemma is whether to play now, and accept that I might get a handicap a bit higher than I would like (maybe 22-24) or wait until I can work on the lessons a bit more and hope to start with my handicap 18-20. Am just a bit concerned that cuts might be slow initially. 0.1's could take a while to get me to my 18ish initial target!

Plan is to enter some comps and submit cards as that will be a quicker option than fixing up games with members, given I don't know that many yet.

Any thoughts?

play in medals you will improve and meet new people, when your scoring improves it will be .4 at a time it comes down will it not?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A pal of mine has just put in his card one was 93 the other two were dire. But altogether they made up his first hcap. Not sure if you know how the initial hcap works. I am still not, but your three cards are put in computer which then works out said hcap.
You may well be surprised at what it is anyway. The bottom line is it will be what it will be. Get your three cards in ma man.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
A pal of mine has just put in his card one was 93 the other two were dire. But altogether they made up his first hcap. Not sure if you know how the initial hcap works. I am still not, but your three cards are put in computer which then works out said hcap.
You may well be surprised at what it is anyway. The bottom line is it will be what it will be. Get your three cards in ma man.

Your initial handicap is the best card of the three you submit after rounding of any triple bogeys and above.

D

Deleted member 18121

as others have said...get your handicap asap and if you shoot a worldie in a comp and get a big cut then wear your sombrero with pride and enjoy the cut :thup:

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Get your cards in. If your that sure you will come down quickly you might as well do it in competitions. You might get your name on the wall and win a few quid in the shop.

You might's well enjoy and get something out of coming down as it can be a hard slog to maintain your handicap once you find your level.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Ah cheers guys, I didn't appreciate it was 0.4 at that level. Just thought playing one or two comps per month and getting -0.1 each time would take flipping ages to see much progress!

Will go for it (and let you all know how it goes) :)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ah cheers guys, I didn't appreciate it was 0.4 at that level. Just thought playing one or two comps per month and getting -0.1 each time would take flipping ages to see much progress!

Will go for it (and let you all know how it goes) :)

Steve if you get a hcap of 20 and shoot four shots under that you will get cut 0.4 or 0.3 per shot. If you shoot four over or 24 over your par, you will only get 0.1 added to your hcap.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers Tashy, been playing for 10 years plus but always as a nomad/society member to date, so the technicalities of handicap cuts weren't familiar to me, although i do understand how the 3 cards are assessed re bogies etc.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Fingers crossed for next weekend's medal!!