Inconsistent distance gaps...

A

Alex1975

Hi All,

I had a lesson on Wednesday evening, after hitting a few 8 irons and 6 irons my pro was happy and impressed that I had managed to take on what we had been working on for the last 4 months so we moved onto some work on the driver. However I had a good look at the numbers before we moved on and noted a large inconsistency in the two clubs I had warmed up with.

8 Iron carry 129 yards average (poor but down the line every time)

6 Iron carry 159 yards average

Now this could be just that I was more warmed up when I got to the 6 iron or that I have more confidence with a club that is a little longer or it could simply mean that I have a strange distance gap. Any ideas why the 8 iron is so much shorter in comparison with the 6?

Its an odd one and I am aware that it may have just been that evening. I would rather have 10 yard gaps and kinda thought I did have...

A

Alex1975

If your 7 iron goes 144 on the fly, what's the problem?

15 yards per club ain't bad if you can get it consistently.

Ye I feel a little silly now but I wonder if that is the case, as I sit here it kinda feels like I carry my 7 about 144 :eek:

No idea why I think 10 yards, I think it was something that was told to me the very first time I played...

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Normally, the further you hit the ball the bigger your gaps would be. I hit a little bit further than you (with those clubs) and my gaps are 10-12yds.

I'd be looking at measuring all clubs and seeing if the gaps are consistent. It's possible that the lofts are quite right, or like you said you might just have been warmer hitting the 6.

A

Alex1975

Normally, the further you hit the ball the bigger your gaps would be. I hit a little bit further than you (with those clubs) and my gaps are 10-12yds.

I'd be looking at measuring all clubs and seeing if the gaps are consistent. It's possible that the lofts are quite right, or like you said you might just have been warmer hitting the 6.

Thanks, Ill keep grooving and then spend some time on the monitor next month and do all the gaps top to bottom, its been a long time coming to do so.

Thankfully every shot was 2* from the inside and about 120 rpm side spin so all good safe stuff.