In-Car Charging....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Been thinking for a while now about maybe getting a 'leccy trolley again.
It'll have to fold up to nearly no size at all so it would be a Go-Kart.
The only thing is that a lot of my golf is played at fairly short notice, I generally keep the kit in the car and if I get a cancelled lesson then I can be on the course pretty soon after.
But if I have to charge the battery at home, there's going to be times when it's charging and I need it so I did some scouting and found this...

Basically you secure the cradle in the car and charge the battery as you drive along - perfect for me as the car's almost always running 5-6 hours a day minimum.
Anyone tried one of these before? Any thoughts...?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caddy-motion-in-car-charger-recharge-your-cady-cart-battery-while-you-drive-/230821777205?pt=UK_Golf_Trolleys&hash=item35be0ccf35

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the basis that most trolley battery suppliers recommend that your battery is given a full charge asap after a round, I'd be very wary particularly as in your job the engine isn't running all the time and, if turned off mid charge, may start the sequence again.

Probably better to spend the money on a second battery so you always have a fully charged one in the car ready for that last minute game.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because it uses a cradle I'd doubt it would be suitable with a gokart battery. You'd probably have to remove the battery casing everytime which would be hassle. Really though you have 3 options in order cheapest to most expensive.

1. Get into the habit of taking the battery into the house everytime you return and get it on to charge. Then pick it up when heading out again.

2. Get 2 batteries as suggested. You'll still need to be in the habit of bringing your battery in after each round and taking the charged one out.

3. Invest in a quality car charger but they aren't cheap. £112 from gokart or £120 on ebay when I've seen them. Very clever bit of kit though. Will charge all the time when connected but has protection to ensure it doesn't flatten your car battery.