Importance of keeping a straight left arm in backswing

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How can i work on keeping my left arm straight in the back swing and what happens if you do not do this ?

I am a right hander

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's something I've wanted to achieve for years and years.

Sadly, I'm still not even close.

I find it amazing that I meet new players down the club, who've hit less golf balls in their whole life than I've hit in a month....and look! They have a straight (or near straight left arm)

I personally believe achieving it is a mixture of keeping your left arm close to your chest and getting the correct width/bend in your right arm at the top of the swing.

However, you can play good golf without a straight left arm. I know a few players and even a very good professional.

If there was a magic pill, I'd have taken it and probably overdosed too. :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My left arm refuses to stay straight and feels like Im ripping it out of my shoulder socket if I try too hard to keep it straight. Given up trying to keep it straight, doesnt seem to cause me many probblems, or Angel Cabrera for that matter :)

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This is something I'm really stressing about at the moment and was even going to post a vid, unfortunately it's a habit I've practiced sinced I started playing golf a year back and didn't realise till a few weeks ago :-( I was getting really down hearted about it at the range earlier until I stepped back and thought hang on I'm stressing over this problem but still landing on or within 15 yards of a 150 yard green with 90% of my shots but I'm still not happy and want it sorted :-(

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even on the Leadbetter DVDs, he say don't worry about it. As long as its just a slight bend and not a collapse from not turning shoulders enough.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A slight crescent shape in the left arm in the backswing is not only OK it's a good position. This will prevent tension which is more of a problem.

I think the best way to consider it is to keep your hands as far away from your head as possible and keep the elbows close together without feeling undue tension.