I know that this could get me a flaming, but...............

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
how do you feel about the "legends" playing in Majors?
I have a mate who always moans when he sees players way past their best like Arnie, Jack, Gary Player etc. taking part in Majors when they stand absolutely no chance of winning but more importantly deny access to younger up and coming players purely by their attendance.
Me? I think they have earned their right to attend, as they have done so much for the game over the years.
But my mate is adamant that they shouldn't be playing, going round scoring in the 80's.
An emotive subject.
What do you reckon?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well, they have earned their right to be there, but if they are going to walk off the course (Sandy anyone), then they shouldn't be there.

Is it distracting for their playing partners playing with a guy who gets all the attention form the gallery, and plays poorly? It is always easier to raise your own game when you play with someone who is playing well.

I am in two minds on this one, and I rather wish they were allowed to play, but didn't.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
if they play they should be drawn together.
would this automatically mean a slow group?
possibly as they aren't still competing even on the (champions - oops) SENIORS tour, but, probably not in comparison with JB

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think that when they know they can't possibly compete they should gracefully move aside and let the young guns in.

I know the fans love to see them play but what is the point of Faldo,PLayer or Floyd trying to play Augusta now? They must know that if they play their absolute best they might just - and I mean just - scrape under the cut. They'll then go on to shoot high 70's at best and finish last.

If their place were taken by another player who finished in the same position, it could mean the difference between losing or keeping his card. If past Major winners are competitive let them play - but if not, then move over. Don't forget they have a Seniors Tour - let them play that instead.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Greg Norman???

Lyle is the worst case of all, but Norman really showed the golfing world why legends are there and playing. Then again Player didn't do to well at the Open, I am more concerned about the number of Asian golfers invited by sponsors to play and players who have earnt the privilege don't, this is something that needs to be addressed before senior invites.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think there is a place for the ledgends at these events but probably to play as a few select groups on the Wednesday before the event starts. If it was handled correctly there would be decent crowds in, they perhaps start the pro-am or if this isn't held (not sure there is one at The Open) then they could go out as others play their final practice rounds

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think its great, I never got to see player, nicklaus and palmer at their best, you can still see how they made their names and winning the majors gives them lifetime exemptions.
The masters, one of the majors, is invite only so upcoming golfers may not get an invite anyway. Im sure any fresh faces dont mind waiting their turn if they had the belief that they will some day get there themselves. If I was arnie or jack, id be there every year til I croak it, there is just something more special and personal about playing in the majors over any other competition, you against the cream of your profession.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like to see them play and their involvement promotes the game, it has always happened and no doubt always will.
However, room should be made as additional numbers and not part of the tour or comp field. I too think its a little unfair that those who have made it, been there etc keep hard working pros out of a competition. Most comps are determined by merit through the season or qualication rulings, if the old hands are to play it should simply be guest appearence basis in my view.

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
They should be left in and continue to get invites as they have earned it and shows inordinate disrespect otherwise.

I do think, however, that if the legendary/elderly player thinks he's not going to cut it then perhaps would consider sitting this one out. Thing is, the likes of Gary Player are still so very competitive that that's going to be unlikely.

Maybe they should inaugurate a Legends Tour??

sandford93

Assistant Pro
Visit site
they have earned their right to be there, why cant they keep going ? after giving the game so much in their respective countries then why not ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I thought the idea of the Senior tour was to be a legends tour. The fact that most of the really big names, Palmer, Nicklaus etc don't participate is because they are simply too old to do so regularly. I guess as Jack has his own event on the PGA tour he could organise one for the senior tour and maybe the legends can go an play in that as a one off

Imurg

Visit site
they have earned their right to be there, why cant they keep going ? after giving the game so much in their respective countries then why not ?

But they earned their right 10,15 20 + years ago. How often does Cantona get invited back to play up front for ManU in the Champions League Final? When did Jimmy Connors last play Nadal in the French Open?

No-one is knocking their achievement or what they have given to the game but their time was back then. Times move on. If these older guys can genuinely cut it - like Norman did in the Open then great, no problem. No-one is going to argue. And you can gauge form if they play on the Senior Circuit. Lets face it, Langer can still give the kids a run for their money. But guys like Crenshaw (1304th in the world),Fuzzy (1330), Stadler(1269), and even Watson(1296) and Woosnam (940) will probably tee it up in Augusta next April. Can anyone honestly tell me that any of these guys are going to make the cut let alone win?

I want to remember Woosie smashing it 300 yards over the bunkers on the 18th at Augusta - not needing Driver, 3 wood to get greenside.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it is a little unfair to compare the greats of golf with other sports. How many other sports can genuinely claim that at 45+ years old, players could still be at the top of their profession and in with agenuine chance of winning a tournament.

I would personally pay to watch the old boys play.

Not sure I would pay to watch people like Connors struggle to return a serve.

I agree that they souldn't prevent some of the regular guys playing, maybe some sort os past winners sub tournament within a tournament and let them play for the whole 4 days.
The revenue it would bring in would be worth doing it.

How much would you "willingly" pay for a lesson with Seve, Jack, Arnie, Player... And how much would you pay for a lesson with Bourdy, Derkson, de la montagne etc.
Point proven I think

Imurg

Visit site
Ok Vig, Maybe using Footy and Tennis wasn't a good move as they are very physical sports. But, look at Snooker.. Steve Davis, John Parrot, Stephen Hendry, don't get invited to play in the tournament just because they were World Champions a few years back. If they want to play they have to be in the top 16 in the world or they have to go through qualifying.

If you want to see them, they probably play exhibition matches. So they are still around but not playing in the big one. That's all I'm saying. To play the majors, you should be among the best in the world - current players.

All the Majors should be contested by the top 144 in the world rankings 2 weeks before the start.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't disagree with some of your thoughts. I just feel that people (myself) would willingly pay good money to watch these people play. I'm not saying that they are going to win and as I stated I think a "masters" type tournament within a tournament would solve a lot of the issues and not debar others from playing. Should a once in a lifetime event such as Greg Norman contending for the tournament occur then so be it but they would be competing against others of a similar age

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
The Seniors Tour would be too much like hard work for the older fellas (Palmer et al). However, the Legends Tour could be a total of 5 different tournaments with just two rounds per and all in Florida. The winner gets to beat the other Legends and a bottle of Sanatogen (sp.) to boot. I've got huge respect for the older generation's golfers but I will allude to my earlier comment as to when they should recognise they are not quite going to actually compete.