I have been converted

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Crosshanded, cog handed, left hand down........ whatever you want to call it..... if you are having problems putting you need to try it.
I have been struggling all year with putting and have tried all sorts, hell i even read Dr Bob's "putting out of your mind".

I have just had my 3rd round using it and I have only 3 putted twice in 54 holes! I was 3 putting probably on average about 4/5 times around this year to give you a comparison.
All it requires is a good hour on your living room carpet figuring out how to get your hands in a comfortable position. Nothing else has changed in my setup putting-wise either, its just a straight grip swap and letting your now straight left arm do pretty much all the work with a nice smooth tempo - it just makes sense, rather than having your left arm crooked and tense.

Weirdly enough, the unnatural feel seems to hone in your concentration too so you are fully focused on the putt.

Seriously if you are struggling it could be the answer you have been looking for.....

D

Deleted member 21258

Hope it continues working for you.

I putt that way and have never gone back, not even for one round, just love it.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im about the same amount of rounds in after doing the same. Holing more than usual but more importantly for me, I'm not struggling with lagg putting. 10ft and in its a game changer, concrete and line/pace and forget about the stroke.
Im yet to test it on really fast greens but I don't think that'll change my mind.

Are you finding the ball roll's alot purer? I seem to be getting very little hop compared to conventional putting.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It looks so ungainly and freaky but if it works then good luck to you

I've a putting mat in the office so I think I'll pop over and give it a go for 5 minutes......

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Urgh that's pretty uncomfortable, its like the helpless/incapacitated feeling you get when you try to write with your opposite hand

Could also be that I'm very right-side dominant

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm using left hand low at the moment and it's something that you definitely need to give some time to work. In the fullness of time I think it will make me a better putter because my hands can't act independently like they have been doing with the conventional grip. Another solution is to use the conventional method but with a fat grip I guess that might help to achieve the same goal.

I read that Spieth uses left hand low because it means that his shoulders are more naturally better aligned than before. And if it works for arguably the best putter on the planet right now then it has to be worth a try.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Little test for those who putt left hand low.

Can you putt comfortably one handed using your left hand?

I get the same feelings as slab when I try this method. So alien and uncomfortable it's untrue. I can do neither well. One handed left or left hand low.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm left handed, but play (and putt) right handed.

Will give this a try, but am wondering whether I should go the whole hog and get a LH putter?

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm having my first putting lesson on Thursday evening so not sure what to expect. I doubt he will on the first lesson as I'm sure it will be observation with a few tips possibly but is there a possibility he may change my grip? Currently I hold my putter like I do on the course.

Probably stupid question as every pro is different in teaching technique but just wondering if anyone has an experience with a pro on their putting that they can share.

WillC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good to hear it's changed your putting for the better. I myself am having huge putting troubles, as in leaving lag putts SO short and missing really short putts (pulling them). Might try it in a swindle this weekend, wouldn't want to go straight into a comp with it!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I find its super super easy to keep the face square and can drill short ones in for fun whenever I try it just messing around but getting consistent pace is really difficult, especially once I get to 20' plus. Don't know if that would change from simply switching and actually practicing a bunch that way

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Urgh that's pretty uncomfortable, its like the helpless/incapacitated feeling you get when you try to write with your opposite hand

Could also be that I'm very right-side dominant

I found the same thing. it obviously works for people but my brain just goes bonkers when i try it. I have on occasion ised the claw grip with success.

D

Deleted member 1147

I have started to putt left under right following a lesson with my pro. Seems I had my left shoulder too high, and swung around myself. So, ball back a bit, left hand & therefore shoulder down, nice smooth stroke.

I'm much more consistent now. But it did feel horrendous to start with. But feels pretty normal now.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks all - and yes all aspects of putting are better. Specifically long putting which was my downfall.
Pretty funny though as I still have to remind myself sometimes and change my grip as I automatically go for things withing 3 feet to the conventional grip !

For all those doubters - stick with it. Keep swapping your hand positioning to see what feels comfortable. Its much easier with a larger grip though.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm having my first putting lesson on Thursday evening so not sure what to expect. I doubt he will on the first lesson as I'm sure it will be observation with a few tips possibly but is there a possibility he may change my grip? Currently I hold my putter like I do on the course.

Probably stupid question as every pro is different in teaching technique but just wondering if anyone has an experience with a pro on their putting that they can share.

I'd have thought that if the grip needed changed it would be one of the first things to do. But it would depend on what exactly is wrong if anything. As you say every pro is different, I've had one putting lesson and all that was changed was my alignment, I had been setting up open on purpose, I explained why and he said I'd be better going back to square. Also went through my whole routine and asked my thinking on putts etc, but the alignment was the only change.

I would like to go to one of the SAM Putt labs to see if there is anything I could do better putting wise.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I would love to find a putting miracle, do not think there is much hope for someone who is naturally crap at putting..

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Crosshanded, cog handed, left hand down........ whatever you want to call it..... if you are having problems putting you need to try it.
I have been struggling all year with putting and have tried all sorts, hell i even read Dr Bob's "putting out of your mind".

I have just had my 3rd round using it and I have only 3 putted twice in 54 holes! I was 3 putting probably on average about 4/5 times around this year to give you a comparison.
All it requires is a good hour on your living room carpet figuring out how to get your hands in a comfortable position. Nothing else has changed in my setup putting-wise either, its just a straight grip swap and letting your now straight left arm do pretty much all the work with a nice smooth tempo - it just makes sense, rather than having your left arm crooked and tense.

Weirdly enough, the unnatural feel seems to hone in your concentration too so you are fully focused on the putt.

Seriously if you are struggling it could be the answer you have been looking for.....

Just been through exactly the same, swapped out of sheer desparation.

Got it on the putting green today and feels great.

Alignment needs a little bit of work but tempo, distance control all feel better with a straight left arm.

Will probably go to pot when I get out on a course with a card in my hand ! :)

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting you say your left hand does most of the work. I putt left hand low and try to keeo my left hand as passive as possible with the right hand doing most of the work. As soon as my left hand gets involved, the face starts opening, I lose tempo and it's generally a mess.

The left hand tends to just lightly grip and do very little else!