How's your winter prep going?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So Spring is around the corner and the season is getting closer.

How is everyone feeling for the season ahead? Has your winter prep been going well and now in a good place for the next season?

I have been playing quite a lot this winter and had a few lessons to make a few changes to my swing.

Rounds have been all over the place with loads of pars but also loads of doubles and triples. Was really struggling for consistency and accuracy. Had a lesson 2 weeks ago to try and make irons more accurate as I would normally miss left. Played last Saturday and was now missing right and left which was very frustrating and my driver was absolutely dreadful. Got out on Sunday and played really really well finishing with 5 straight pars and having decent chances of birdie on each of them and thought things were starting to bed in.

Went to the range on Tuesday and felt like I was back to square one, lost everything to the right. Couldn't control anything and left feeling really frustrated with my swing and had no idea what to do to fix it.

Back to the range last night with the challenge to fix my alignment and my rhythm and create a nice preshot routine which would assist in this. Was striking the ball brilliantly by the end with a lovely shape and flight on the ball.

Just hoping I have now found a nice groove in my swing which I can build upon for the season. Hoping to get out tomorrow on the course so will see how it goes then.

Overall this winter I have found it quite tough to practice on one thing and things I did well before have just left me. So I still feel there is a good bit of work to do but finally it feels positive instead of standing on the tee box having no idea where the ball is going to go.

Bit of a ramble, sorry about that, but how is everyone else feeling?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Very well thanks, caught up on loads of boxsets on Netflix :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Grim. Lost a lot of time with a bad back. Have only recently started going to the range again and even then not hitting full shots every session. Played a couple of comps (one buffer, one 0.1, missing buffer by a shot!) and a couple of weekend roll ups. Suffice to say my plans to work on the changes from my GM lesson and pay a follow up visit to Paul Foston's studio in Kent haven't happened.

I still intend to do work on the shorter swing, better wrists etc as per my lesson but life, work, injuries have conspired against me. I feel so under prepared, even compared to the guys that rock up once a week for a roll up game. Want to try and split practice for 2018 70/30 between short game and the long swing changes. Still confident I can get the handicap coming down in 2018

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haven't played but kept my swing in at the range, striking the ball well off the mat, we'll see how it translates to the course this weekend!

OP the period just after/during lessons is very difficult, but stick at it. One thing I'd say is if you're focussing on something technical at the range focus on that, and when you go out to play don't fall back into old habits just to score. You have to stick at it if you're going to make it become natural. Ultimately you want to be able to swing without thinking of anyhting, but a better swing. To get there will require some heart-ache. Keep your eye on the bigger picture! Short term hurt for longer term gain.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going well so far, rounds of 84 and 81 for some new PB's. Been getting used to a new course this year and I an enjoying it and trying to work out the best ways to play each hole.

Had two lessons since end of September, one just last week. Small changes needed, slightly shorter backswing required while taking it away slower and not rushing the backswing. A more committed move through the ball is also needed. And a focus on keeping the chest up from the top of the back through impact. All these changes will help to get rid of the occasional duff/fat shots I come across from time to time. I have started to work on these and have already started to see an improvement in ball striking etc.

Have been putting a lot of work in on putting this year too. Have my arc mat and a couple of disc holes set up and spend 10/20 mins a night putting focusing on face angle and start lines. Use a couple of sleeves of balls as a gate.

Looking forward to the start of the season. First comp is the 25/3 but not looking likely I'll be able to play but have an Open booked for the week after.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bought new irons
About to pull the trigger on some wedges
Joined a new club
Managing to get a semi-regular game
Swing is in reasonable shape
Had some encouraging scores already but taking it with a pinch of salt as courses are easier at this time of year.
Yeah, looking forward to the start of the season

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Will most likely go to the range next week and wing a club for the first time since 23rd Sep 2017.

Golf winter prep has consisted of recovering from that bug that was going round and drinking copious amounts of bourbon.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shoulder surgery went great, back at the range hitting balls and pleasantly surprised but happy with the way it's going. Forecast gash for the weekend so probably hit the range again.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Weather has been cold and horrible for the best part of 3 months now so only the truly hard core committed, and those on links courses, have been playing in the NE over winter. That doesn't include me.

I've bought some new golf shoes, 2 polo shirts, 2 jumpers and a putter so I am going to look the part at least :D. I'm guessing my prep will start in March.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
hard to say as not getting out on the course due to weather. Have been getting lessons and practising at least twice a week but feel like I'm 2 steps forward and one step back trying to implement what I'm being told.

Also thinking our season is only 8 weeks away so not sure I want to continue with lessons into season or just try and get along with what I've got and concentrate on scoring once it starts.... but then worried I revert to old habits.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This time last year I was the complete opposite, swing felt great and was scoring really well. Season started and I played terribly for the first month or so. Hoping that it is the opposite this year.

I think the issue last year, as the course got longer after winter, I think I tried to hit the ball harder as a result.

D

Deleted member 1147

Early winter was good. Playing every week, scoring pretty well, and getting fitter and stronger in the gym.
Then, early January the flu bug hit, which wasn't too bad but it hit my asthma. So I've now missed 4 weeks golf, 3 weeks in the gym and still feel terrible despite 3 weeks antibiotics and steroids.
So I am now totally unprepared for the coming season :(

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Been playing winter comps as often as the weather will allow, though not too happy with performances.

Waiting until it gets light enough after work to play some practice holes during the week, then I'm hoping to hit some form in preparation for the start of the season.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well I bought a 5h and another 5w (M1/19) on ebay; does that count as winter prep??

sounds like school days;)

TBH, i could do with some but can't really be bothered. Had a lesson the other day and found the fault that caused the couple of bad games last weekend.

I enjoy playing, but that's about it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play 2-3 times a week, weather permitting, all year round so there is no such thing a prep for me.

I do generally buy my new clubs in the winter so I have got used to them before Summer matches start.