How to hit those chips...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well if you used a 8iron and delofted it you would never get the spin needed to stop it.
It’s a great shot if you master it.
Completely irrelevant to my question!
FWIW, I often do use an 8-iron for the shot, though simply as a virtual putt. I don't see the point in getting it to 'bite' as that's far less consistent, at least for me, than simply using the 'chip-putt' to get over the fringe, say, and letting the ball roll out.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Completely irrelevant to my question!
FWIW, I often do use an 8-iron for the shot, though simply as a virtual putt. I don't see the point in getting it to 'bite' as that's far less consistent, at least for me, than simply using the 'chip-putt' to get over the fringe, say, and letting the ball roll out.
You asked “ what the point was of that” didn’t you!! As per Voyagers post.

The loft is nessesary so you can deloft and trap the ball in the grooves that’s how you get the spin but keep the trajectory down.
FWIW the way you play it wasn’t the question asked.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You asked “ what the point was of that” didn’t you!! As per Voyagers post.

The loft is nessesary so you can deloft and trap the ball in the grooves that’s how you get the spin but keep the trajectory down.
FWIW the way you play it wasn’t the question asked.
Ah!My question finally answered! (y)
I'll stick to the more consistent, for me, 7/8 iron chip-putt.
Another FWIW....I can't believe 'trap the ball in the grooves' is what happens in such a delicate shot - imparting spin as the ball moves up the clubface seems far more likely.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah!My question finally answered! (y)
I'll stick to the more consistent, for me, 7/8 iron chip-putt.
Another FWIW....I can't believe 'trap the ball in the grooves' is what happens in such a delicate shot - imparting spin as the ball moves up the clubface seems far more likely.
Yes you are correct with your spin assessment but that also ads height.
In a low checking wedge shot you need spin but also need to keep the height down.
That’s why the hands forward drives the ball forward not upwards.
Very high risk shot ,it needs lots of practice that’s why you don’t really see many ams play it.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Keep the shaft upright, grip lower down, ball middle of a narrow stance and swing almost straight back and through so the bounce brushes the turf. Absolutely the safest way to produce a good chip shot.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was after a method of getting those grabby 2 or 3 bounce shots
Zac Johnson from USA. Played them very stiff wrists and just swings his shoulders.
Hardly any movement in his wrist and just like a long putt.
The longer the swing the farther it goes but the shaft must lead the head.

He’s really good at it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The problem is you see tour pros playing this type of shot off perfectly manicured tight fairways. Virtually no grass gets between the ball and club face.

You can try it at your home track but chances are you wont get consistent results due to longer length fairways.

Lob wedge is best. You need to deloft it but swing shallow through the stike. Drive it in with speed.

Into the wind will also add some spin. Soft ball. Clean grooves. Receptive greens. All that good stuff.

Takes a lot of practice and isnt really worth investing the time tbh.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem is you see tour pros playing this type of shot off perfectly manicured tight fairways. Virtually no grass gets between the ball and club face.

You can try it at your home track but chances are you wont get consistent results due to longer length fairways.

Lob wedge is best. You need to deloft it but swing shallow through the stike. Drive it in with speed.

Into the wind will also add some spin. Soft ball. Clean grooves. Receptive greens. All that good stuff.

As Gary said, a tight lie is needed.
Even with the best of lies, cleanest of grooves, the most spiny ball and the lushest of greens. This is a not an easy shot to hit and not the shot to play 99% of the time.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

All of this plus nice new wedges every couple of weeks.