How much your year of golf costs?

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
So at the end of my first solar year of golf I'm trying to understand how much this wonderful game costed me in the last 12 months.

Considering clubs, BALLS, lessons, membership, magazines, insurance, green fees, petrol to go to the courses, driving range balls, clothes, shoes, etc I think I'm around £3,000.

Being my first year I had to buy all the gear so it was terribly expensive. I hope to spend half of that next year.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
About £1000 at the club inc annual fees, bar bill, comps etc.
£700 on two away trips + maybe a couple hundred in falling down juice.
£250 in open comps.
Probably about £500 in diesel for all the above.
Rarely lose balls, have a stock pile of tees, get given gloves.
Couple hundred on new clobber

Close to £3k all in.

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
because i took the game back up this year and had to kit myself out and then change clubs and buy this that and the next i was probably close to £1500 alone for clubs.that was trying to buy them cheap from ebay aswell but i changed driver 4 times i think and i had a great big berth aswell which i sold.

as for membership fee's it's not too bad...

@ killin it was £100 because of a centenary deal they were doing and @ callander it was £300 but next year it will be £240 and £440 respectively.

balls cost me a lot this year because i was losing them left,right and sometimes centre at times lol!!

so probably £2500 for me this year,i expect next season to be much cheaper,well i hope so anyway.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
More than I care to think about, have bought new clubs this year + subs + comps ++, I guess about £3-4K.

Can I put some of this on my tax return??

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can I put some of this on my tax return??

if you do a tax return i guess you might be self employed or run a business of some sort

get some golf balls with your business name on it, ditto anything else you can get the name on to, then you could put it on as advertising :p

Last edited:

Steve King

Assistant Pro
www.weekend-golfers.com
I spent £500 ish on new irons-got some really sexy MP-68s
about £1k for green fees and pay & play...and it feels like about another £1k in lost balls, but probably only got through a couple of dozen

I make golf apps as part of my job, so also spent about £3k building them...but next year the Apps will (hopefully) pay for my golf :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is another fact, along with the calorie and fat content of some foods and the calories in beer, that I would simply rather not know.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think this whole thread is an elaborate ploy by my wife to see if I was telling the truth.

Iku, Your account has been hacked!! :mmm:

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i hope the misses doesn't see this but these are approx, green fees-£875,comps/two-£8/12 per week,balls-3doz £128,tees gloves etc-£30,food and drinks-£60 per week,clothes/shoes-£400+,diesel-£300+,away days/week ends-£750,books/mags-£100,new driver this year -£295,trips to the range-£6 per week plus other bits and pieces we buy along the way,soon adds up when you think about it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
About £950 on subs, comp fees & green fees. Approx 4 doz balls £150 (+ balls won). Bar bill: classified. New irons and driver £975. Taxi's to and from the club every Saturday £240. Galvin Green w/proofs, several gloves.

I guess pushing too much

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
not even prepared to try and add it all up - I would probably have a nervous breakdown (two of us golfing in this household) but:

Two full sets of new clubs, 2 x subs and bar levies, clothing, two golf breaks, enough balls to fill a small builders skip, petrol - I'm going to stop now.

Fortunately a lot of the expenditure from this year won't be replicated next (touching wood)

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
subs at south east rates of £1200, serial ebaying, lessons, golf clobber buying that seems to have no limit, i'd like to think around £3k, but in reality is probably much nearer £4k...

but seeing as its virtually the only thing i spend any money on, i'm not beating myself up about it, though will try to rein it in a bit in 2012...

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Clubs/balls/gloves/clothes I would estimate at close on 2.5k as Ive been chopping and changing but have made some of that back through sell ons. 1k at my club on membership and drinks/subs, around £200 on away green fees, £850 on a 5 day Portugal trip, mags around £100 and only about that in fuel. So between 4.5k and 5k is somewhere around the mark. Hoping to only do 2k on everything next year. Still cheaper than what my season ticket and football away days were costing me last year.