How much would you pay for membership

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
Living out in the Oman as you can imagine grass is a hard to come by. But Muscat the capital city as a 18 hole course (Muscat Hills) which is without doubt the best and only course in the area. This course IMO is an average course in the UK. Problem being the membership is £2100 pounds per year. IMO this is taking the P.ss as a brit living here and like my golf and many of us do we feel this is way over the top. The other option is an 18 hole course Ghala wentworth 9 holes grass and 9 holes desert with the desert holes becoming grass by sept 11 membership
£1000 per year question what would you do and before you say it we are not made of money.

Regards

RB

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd imagine that the course is open the entire year?
If that's the case then £2100 isn't that huge considering that in the UK the season is only 6 months of respectable golf.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd imagine that the course is open the entire year?
If that's the case then £2100 isn't that huge considering that in the UK the season is only 6 months of respectable golf.

Good point.

If you play 52 times a year (once a week) it's going to cost you £40 a round which is probably *slightly* on the expensive side. But if you have year round good weather, you're likely to get more than 52 rounds in a year, so will probably work out pretty good VFM.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I assume its the cost of keeping the course in half decent condition that bumps the cost up. If you have enough spare pennies and enough spare time to make it worth it then go for it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Depends if you are getting anything on top. Does it have a decent clubhouse and practice facilities and can you play competitively and get your handicap down. If so then it doesn't sound too bad. Expensive yes but with obvious heavy overheads such as maintaining the grass then probably worth the outlay

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds ok to me, as dispite what you say, the cost of living must be higher in Oman. All that tax you are saving must be able to fund your golf. :D

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
being a Gulf state then most I know who work there earn shedloads so unless your on UK average wage then its not expensive, price is relevant to financial circumstances after all

if it means you have to cut back on other things to fund it then yes its expensive, if not then no

also relates to the above posts with regards to amount of time open etc etc

at the end of the day only you can decide if its worth it

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just depends on how much you love your golf and how much you'd use it.

It isn't cheap by UK standards but that's hardly surprising but if you're going to use it a lot then it's probably worth it.

Course looks nice and at a standard green fee of around £75, the membership doesn't seem unreasonable - especially if you get a free buggy for every round.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Living out in the Oman as you can imagine grass is a hard to come by. But Muscat the capital city as a 18 hole course (Muscat Hills) which is without doubt the best and only course in the area. This course IMO is an average course in the UK. Problem being the membership is £2100 pounds per year. IMO this is taking the P.ss as a brit living here and like my golf and many of us do we feel this is way over the top. The other option is an 18 hole course Ghala wentworth 9 holes grass and 9 holes desert with the desert holes becoming grass by sept 11 membership
£1000 per year question what would you do and before you say it we are not made of money.

Regards

RB

how do you rate the second course? so we can compare

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Doesn't sound too crazy.

If that were me I'd probably already be a member. I guess it depends on how much you love the game.

Most working people could budget for that if it were the main source of entertainment and out of work activity.

TheChamp

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just got a subs letter in for 2011 looking for 1500 euro for the year. And that's in Dublin where, like someone said earlier, you're talking only around 6-7 months of proper golf.

T

thecraw

All year round golf = priceless!

January February, snow or frost bound UK courses.
March, wet and bumpy hollow cored greens.
April, growing season starts.
May, greens start to become decent.
June, July, August, September, course usually at its best.
October, winter maintenance starts, hollow coring etc again.
November, December wet windy frosty snow.

£900 for 6 months golf, not great value in my opinion!

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rang up my course owner the other day to say due to finances I couldn't pay my first instalment for next year so I wouldn't be renewing.

He just said pay yours subs by direct debit over the 12 months mate.(We normally pay 45% in January then the rest over 6 months)

Well chuffed as I wasn't looking forward to a year of nomad golf.