how many shots for unplayable lie

V

vkurup

Ran from the car park and tee-ed up. Topped the driver to about 50y under a shrub/v big bush. Got under it and found the ball. So obviously no place to stand or hit the shot. My partner asked me to declare it unplayable and go back 2 club lengths and drop.

So I did. Chipped it out to the fairway and normal play resumed (cracking 4hybrid, wedge onto the green, 2 putt)

Q
1) Was it the correct interpretation of the rules
2) How many shots is it... (Driver, Unplayable Drop, Chip, 4H, PW, 2xPutt)

V

vkurup

Yeah that's correct. A 7, is that what you made it?

Yup... my partner said it was 7 too.

In my old world, I would have taken the first as OOB and therefore re-tee - so would have ended up as 8!!. I like 7 more than 8 ;)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well right but you had other options that might have been better than dropping two club lengths and chipping out.

You could have gone back in a straight line as far as you like in line with the pin, which might have given you a better chance of getting a fuller hit. You could have gone back to where you hit the first shot from and played your third from there.... and even teed it up again!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Indeed, 3-off-the-tee might have allowed you to get a 6 - or stuck you back under the bush again! When you mention OOB, I presume Stroke and Distance - which is always an option. Not sure how that becomes an 8 though.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think playing your 3rd shot so you didn't have to chip and and waste a shot.
Going back in a straight line is 1 option give yourself a chance to make up some distance, and of course re teeing up.

If you was lucky you'd be driving for your 3rd, lets say it was a good one, then hitting at the green for 4. So you could have even managed a 5 and 6 at worst.

Next time that situation happens, try not to drop it into a place where your going just chip it out, Unless you have no other options, but usually there is options

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
My partner asked me to declare it unplayable and go back 2 club lengths and drop.

as has been pointed out, you have options but strangely people seem to combine 2 of them into the one your partner came up with - and it's quite common.

they are seperate options

under penalty of one stroke:

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or

c. Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.

In a bunker, with both b and c the ball must be dropped in the bunker.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
My partner asked me to declare it unplayable and go back 2 club lengths and drop.

So I did.

Was he your "Partner" or a "fellow competitor"?
If he was a fellow competitor, he cannot give advice and therefore he would incur a two shot penalty aswell.

V

vkurup

Thx guys... lots of follow up Qs, so let me answer some

1) It was a social 2-ball game, so more playing mate rather than competition.
2) The bush/xmas tree under which the ball was, is the boundary with our driving range. So it has some fencing/wall behind it. So did not have too many options of going back. There was a small clearing to the side (within 2 club lengths), hence we went with that option.
3) I suppose I could re-tee; but given that it was my first shot of the day, it might just end up in the woods again!!! (hence more likely to shoot a 8 on it)
4) It is a 500+y P5.. so 7 is not a bad outcome (for me)

BTW. what is the meaning of the term 'stroke & distance', what are the alternatives?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
T
BTW. what is the meaning of the term 'stroke & distance', what are the alternatives?

At any time, you can play again from where you played your previous shot under a one stroke penalty. It's known as stroke and distance because you are both taking a penalty stroke and moving the distance from where you are to where you were previously. (Rule 27-1). This is open to you to do at any time for any reason and it is also specifically mentioned as an option in various rules such as here, with regard to water hazards. If you are out of bounds or have lost your ball, it is not an option but a "must do".

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doesn't matter it was a social game your playing companion cannot give you advice or suggest what you do without breaking the advice rule, what he can do is tell you your options, these are fact and not opinion.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Doesn't matter it was a social game your playing companion cannot give you advice or suggest what you do without breaking the advice rule, what he can do is tell you your options, these are fact and not opinion.

Bugger that!!!

No way would I even attempt to suggest something like this to one of my mates if we werent in a comp. I'd be laughed out of town for being a 'jobsworth'. That's not how I want to play golf in a friendly round.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bugger that!!!

No way would I even attempt to suggest something like this to one of my mates if we werent in a comp. I'd be laughed out of town for being a 'jobsworth'. That's not how I want to play golf in a friendly round.

I don't think Jobsworth comes into it. If you do something like the OP described regularly in social games, it would be quite easy to forget not to do it in a comp.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't think Jobsworth comes into it. If you do something like the OP described regularly in social games, it would be quite easy to forget not to do it in a comp.

I disagree actually. I dont have any problems distinguishing between the two. Granted not everyone's the same though, so could see how it might affect some. But for me, noway would i try to call something like that in a friendly match.

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I disagree actually. I dont have any problems distinguishing between the two. Granted not everyone's the same though, so could see how it might affect some. But for me, noway would i try to call something like that in a friendly match.

+1 :thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At any time, you can play again from where you played your previous shot under a one stroke penalty. It's known as stroke and distance because you are both taking a penalty stroke and moving the distance from where you are to where you were previously. (Rule 27-1). This is open to you to do at any time for any reason and it is also specifically mentioned as an option in various rules such as here, with regard to water hazards. If you are out of bounds or have lost your ball, it is not an option but a "must do".

But be careful about when you use S&D as you may find yourself with a grumpy PP or FC if you use S&D creatively (see The Lounge thread titled Poll: Unplayable lie. Is it acceptable or frowned upon?)

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think the key here is in the context of 'calling that'; whatever it means :)

There's a way to discuss these things, whether in matches, competitions or just out playing. Personally I think it's better that they get discussed in the 'just out playing' environment than when someone plays in a comp or match and gets picked up on it - but maybe that's just me.

otoh I competely agree that constantly referenceing someone's actions with 'that's 2 shots' - 'you've lost that hole' etc is not the way to discuss it !!!

in the last 3 days I've had people -
1. moving the tee makers because they weren't straight (to them) (discussed afterwards - match and no penalty called)
2. going to quickly mark their ball and move it after someone else has played and it will probably hit their ball (slightly raised voice - leave it; then explained it saved them 2 shot penalty)
3. played off a higher handicap than the club board shows (updated 2 days previously) - (match was over, too late for a valid claim, settled for a fresh beer)
4. 15 clubs in the bag (ignored until afterwards)
5. asking a fellow competitor 'what club did you hit' before playing to a par 3 (no one was sure they had heard the question!)

None of this is earth shattering, most is a learning experience and, in this instance, No 5 was just plain careless and carries over into the earlier point of bad habits wrongly applied.