How many clubs

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
How many of you carry 14 clubs and who uses less?

Personally I carry 12- Driver, 16 degree 3 wood, 4 hybrid, 5-PW, 52, 58 (and putter). I have found that having more leaves me more confused than helped.

I have a bit of a gap between my 22 degree hybrid (185 yards) and 16 3 wood (210-220)-but whenever I try to fill it I find the ‘middle’ club goes the same distance as one of the others (tried a 19 degree hybrid but hit my 22 as far most of the time, and a 5 wood was carrying virtually as far as my 3 wood. Did consider a 7 wood or h/l 5 wood but not really seeing the need).

Likewise at the other end my PW is 46 degrees and carries around 110. My 52 carries 85/90. Whilst that is quite a gap I am happier hitting a 3/4 PW 100 yards than having another wedge and confusing myself with options.

It is maybe because I ‘only’ carry a driver 240/250 and therefore my distances are more squashed together than a longer hitter, but I just can’t see a benefit to 14. Am I missing something-what do others do?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had 12 for ages. Then I picked up an old 60° wedge and chucked that in so it's 13 at the moment. It could be 14 but I took my 5 wood out because I basically never used it.

Consequently I have even more gap than you speak of, since I have a 12° driver, then 20° hybrid, and a 3 iron which I think is 21°. But similar to you, my long game probably isn't precise enough for it to be an issue. If I'm not using the driver off the tee, I use the 3 iron as I find it easier to keep straight than any wood or hybrid I've tried, and it still goes 200 yards (might be less when we get to winter but we'll see). And for long second shots I just use the hybrid.

D

Deleted member 16999

The rules “allow” a maximum of 14, take 3 or 4 only if you wish, I carry 14 and depending on the day or weather or format I may only use 8 or 9 in one round and 10-12 the next, fact is I have used all 14 in one way or another over a few rounds, are you depriving yourself of choice or flexibility by only carrying 12?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Personally I carry 12- Driver, 16 degree 3 wood, 4 hybrid, 5-PW, 52, 58 (and putter). I have found that having more leaves me more confused than helped.

I have a bit of a gap between my 22 degree hybrid (185 yards) and 16 3 wood (210-220)-but whenever I try to fill it I find the ‘middle’ club goes the same distance as one of the others (tried a 19 degree hybrid but hit my 22 as far most of the time, and a 5 wood was carrying virtually as far as my 3 wood. Did consider a 7 wood or h/l 5 wood but not really seeing the need).

Likewise at the other end my PW is 46 degrees and carries around 110. My 52 carries 85/90. Whilst that is quite a gap I am happier hitting a 3/4 PW 100 yards than having another wedge and confusing myself with options.

It is maybe because I ‘only’ carry a driver 240/250 and therefore my distances are more squashed together than a longer hitter, but I just can’t see a benefit to 14. Am I missing something-what do others do?

Your distances are very similar to mine so I feel I can relate. I carry driver and 3 wood but also 2 hybrids as the gap between 3 wood and 5 iron is to big for one club. On the wedge side my PW is 44/45 so I carry 50/54/58. I'm less comfortable hitting a half or 3/4 wedge 90/100 so my GW gets that distance with a fuller swing. I can manipulate my 54 better so it covers everything from chipping to 80 yards. 60 is for bunkers and shots where I'm short sided.

I'm surprised your hybrids go the same distance. Mine space well - in fact I have 16/20/23 that I choose 2 from each day based on conditions/course. Solid 10 yards between all 3. I get the - no need for another wedge if you can manipulate your PW.

An elderly gent I play with at times carries a half set pencil bag with no woods other than driver. About 7/8 clubs I think. He plays of 4. If you have no need for more than 12 than why worry. You know your game better than any of us. Have you considered carrying 2 drivers or 2 putters? I know someone who does that lol......it would confuse me

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same distances here as well but carry a 5 wood (for the reason you make clear - and it's easier to hit than my 3 wood from the fairway) and a 5h as well as a 5i because whilst they have similar distances in theory I find I sometimes wish I had the other one for the shot I faced...so I put both in.

I don't find choice confusing at all - I would carry more if allowed!

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I run 14 clubs as per my sig.

I had a gapping session with my professional and have all my yardages dialled in for each and every club throughout the set, I've just bought a new set of SM7's after a good fitting session. There the real scoring clubs for me I can reach a lot of Par 4's with my second shot with a wedge in my hand so I like to have 3. if you practice plenty with them and know your full shots, half shots etc. it can make a huge difference.

I could live with 13 clubs though, I can live without the 2 iron it creates a gap but not one that causes huge issues for me really. It would however take a lot of versatility out of my game, I love having a 2 iron and a hybrid in my bag it's the best of both worlds.

Poor lie or rough take out the hybrid.

Need to hit a stinger or want that 99% fairway hit with a decent amount of distance then the 2 iron comes out off tee especially if the Driver decides to have a wild day.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Carry what works for you
14 only bag
I have driver (10°), 3 wood at 16, hybrids at 21 and 26 and then 5-lob wedge with 4° gaps.
5 iron and hybrid are both 26° but the hybrid goes at least 10 yards further on a different flight and is great for digging out of deeper rough and still getting some distance. Oh and fairway bunkers too!
Only real gap is between 3 wood and 21° hybrid but it's not huge so isn't really significant.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got 13. Some won't get used in a round but as the trolley is electric, the bag has separate sections for every club it is not an issue to take some that won't get dirty. No need for the 14th at this moment.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carry 14 and probably over the course of a week every club in the bag will get used except the maybe the 56 SW which I only use it for bunker play.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
12 clubs for me. Driver may come out to play in winter but current bag contains:

Srixon U65 2 Iron
Callaway XHot 3 Hybrid
Adams DHY 5 Hybrid
Srixon Z545 6-PW
Cleveland 588 RTX 48/52/58 wedges
Scotty M2 Putter

Have 4&5 irons sat in the cupboard at home but find as a high handicapper that the Hybrids are more reliable.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Agree with this.

I have a very similar set up. Although I have a 3 hybrid (19 deg) & 52, 54 & 60 in the wedges.

I have a 23 degree (4 hybird) that I took out. Wasn’t using it and it balloons so high in the air it is really only suitable to use straight downwind or a flat calm day. Also not convinced it goes further than my 5 i

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
I don't often carry more than eight (D, 19* Hy, 5, 7, 9, 54*, Pu), and have been going out with just four recently (Hy, 8, 54*, Pu).

In fairness, I'm a rubbish player and my failings are to do with consistency of ball-striking and aim, so fewer clubs is probably more of a help than a hinderance.

bm

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Carry 14, but have a pool of 16.
So depending on the course and weather etc I play about slightly with what I take.

So I have;
Callaway Rogue driver, 3plus, 5 wood.
Two Callaway hybrids
4 to pw in iron set
3 extra vokeys
Putter

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I play 14.

Driver, 5w, 3h, 4h or 4i, 5-PW and then 50, 54, 58 wedges.

As has been mentioned, they don't always all get used but it's nice to have the option.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Do you really get that many shots where you need another club between the Rather than going the Hybrid approach

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would be more concerned with the distances you are hitting the ball. if you are carrying a driver 240/250 and only hitting a PW 110, you are losing maybe 20 yards of your iron distance for the amount of CHS you have to hit a driver that far

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would be more concerned with the distances you are hitting the ball. if you are carrying a driver 240/250 and only hitting a PW 110, you are losing maybe 20 yards of your iron distance for the amount of CHS you have to hit a driver that far

That is what my coach says and during lessons etc I manage to add more and get the wedge out to 120-however it always ends up being more ‘comfortable’ at 110 (I think I play the ball too far forward in my stance and add loft - essentially hitting almost a bunker shot with my wedges) it’s a swing fault, but reasonably consistent so not really gone all out to change it -prob this winters goal-not wanted to tinker too much whilst h/c has been dropping, down from 12 to 9 this season. Good spot though and correct!

Interesting replies. Seems that most go 4 wedges as well which is interesting