How many calories does a round of golf burn?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
After today's round, one of the ladies said she had a phone app running which said 2000 cal !

Sounds way too much, that's nearly a day's calorie allowance.
If that was the case, I should be rail thin.

The app only measured how far the phone (in her bag) had travelled so obviously doesn't know how many times she swung the club, Or in my case- how many bunkers I raked (at least 500 cal I guess)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
After today's round, one of the ladies said she had a phone app running which said 2000 cal !

Sounds way too much, that's nearly a day's calorie allowance.
If that was the case, I should be rail thin.

The app only measured how far the phone (in her bag) had travelled so obviously doesn't know how many times she swung the club, Or in my case- how many bunkers I raked (at least 500 cal I guess)

When I was using the My Fitness Pal app to lose weight, which I did very successfully, a 240 minute round of golf pulling my clubs was circa 1800 calories, I questioned this in my mind and set my GPS watch to calories on the next round and it was only 150 calories shy, so, its not far off the mark :eek:

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds way too much to me. My guess would be more like 500 max and that was if she was walking. If she was in a buggy it would be more like 150.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
500-600 calories imo. 5-6m walk plus some extra effort swinging and extra time on your feet than a regular walk would take. Oh and of course raking of bunkers and tired shoulders from carrying HID...:whistle:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In my case obviously not enough calories, because I play 4 or 5 rounds a week and am still slightly more rotund than I would like to be. This could be related to the 19th hole though!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
In my case obviously not enough calories, because I play 4 or 5 rounds a week and am still slightly more rotund than I would like to be. This could be related to the 19th hole though!

or 2 others, 1 being larger than the other :smirk:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh here we go. another post for the Golf Monthly Forum DRs. Whose opinion goes against all the scientific evidence.
My fitness pal and others must have just guessed when calculating what exercise burns

D

Deleted member 15344

Didn't they have a study that showed on average it's about 1500 for a 4 hole,round ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh here we go. another post for the Golf Monthly Forum DRs. Whose opinion goes against all the scientific evidence.
My fitness pal and others must have just guessed when calculating what exercise burns

An educated guess at best and much like cardio machines always on the over rather than under guesstimation imo! Also, is the number with or without the BMR and what would have been burned in calories over 4 hours if lying on the settee??

chillicon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Am struggling to load the photo using my phone, but I have a picture taken from Sky TV showing Patrick Reed during a round, which says he has burned 1684 calories through 15 holes.