How long should I spend warming up

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Evening All, I was wondering how long I should be warming up for? The last few times ive played I've done about 45mins. Only say this as when I play the first 9 I play well very bad to say the least its like I've never played then as I get to the 9th BOOOM. All of a sudden start hitting it straight and my irons shots are almost perfect. Just played then and best I had on the front nine was double bogey. Back 9 worst was double bogey. Its strange as its happened a few times. When I warm up tend to hit a about 20chips, 10-15puts and then hit about 20 balls in the bays.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
so much depends on what you mean by 'warming up' and also how old/fit you are!

everyone physically benefits from proper stretching
some physically benefit from hitting a few balls
most mentally benefit from hitting a few -
1. putts into the centre back of the cup
2. cleanly played chips that roll up to the hole
3. well flighted short irons
4. wonderfull long irons
5. etc
but it's not really warming up !

now an ice cold guiness with a cooked breakfast after a careful stretching routine would be my idea of a warm up - sometimes I run short of time so the stretching gets missed out :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
5 minutes - 10 minutes. No point getting tired warming up only to then wait 10 minutes before you hit a ball off the tee or wait 5 mins for your 2nd shot. Just make sure you stretch properly so you don't hurt your back, then hit a few balls if you want to. I like to hit 20 shots on the range if possible, normally with an 8-iron or 5-wood just to get the swing going.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be honest not much. Just a few stretches. Swing a couple of clubs about. Just to loosen up abit thats all. Then just sink a few short putts to relax and feel positive. Thats it really. Don't really find it makes much difference if I hit loads of balls first or none.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't do too much warming up. A few stretches, a few swings with 2 clubs, a couple of mid irons in the net, maybe tee up a driver.
I do however like to chip a dozen and putt for 10 minutes.

t.b.h. I much prefer to go out in the garden at home, do some turning on the patio (using the mirror effect of the doors), swing a speed stick or driver with headcover on, that sort of thing.

It's all very well *needing* to hit x amount of balls to then play your best, but I can honestly say my best rounds (and my worst too) have always come from more or less stepping on the course.

If I go on a par frenzy, it's always in the middle of the round. I could potentially "move" this to earlier in the round with more warming up, but then I fear I'd get tired and finish off poorly.

????

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just got a ball dispenser for our practice ground so we can hit and not have to pick up the balls, which is nice. Only £1 for 25 balls. I'll try to hit a basket before a major comp, followed by a few chips and putts. That way I can waste all my good shots before I actually get on to the course. :mad::D

Friendy games, just a few stretches and a couple practice swings.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The only warm up for me before a round tends to be 5-10 putting if i've not played for 3 or more days.

Otherwise, nothing other than having the heated seat on in the drive there;)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i think the key factor is everyone is different. with this in mind you really need to find a routine that works for you.

ive found my ideal warm up is 50 balls on the range, get there, have a wee stretch and a few practice swings, around 10 chips to the basket at 25 yards and the marker at 50, 10 8irons, 6irons, then i tend to play the first 4/5 holes visually mixing it up. this gets me into the mind set of playing a mixture of shots.

then its into the club house, like breaky, off to the putting green for 10 mins and im raring to go.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Few puts on the putting green followed by a few swings in the net with a 6 iron and then a 3 wood followed by a few chips with the S/W & 60 degree and then its a roll of the hips and off to the 1st Tee.

If I've got time a Big Mac on the way

Simple's ;-)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
As Duncan said it depends on the person , your level of fitness, agility & flexability ..

il arrive around 35 mins before i play , practice some long pace putts , do a bit of stretching . hole some short putts then , stretch out properly .. at the tee befor the group ahead tee off, when they tee off i take out an iron & take a few swings , out with the big dog & BOOOM .. (bounces & stops on the ladies tee ha :))
Another big part is the mental side of being ready , by the time its your turn to tee off your mind should be warmed up & focused ready to play , your swing routine firmly switched on ..

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm the same oddsocks, 45-60 mins warming up but can be the 11th before the game kicks in! Think it's mental that I've given up on the round and the naturalness of my swing kicks in.

Warm up usually consists of

5 mins warming up stretching etc,
Few wedges pitches etc
Mid irons
5i
Hybrid
Driver

Putting green long puts shorts puts
Chipping

Tee box few swooshes and then tear the card up!

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I posted a very similar thread to this about 3 weeks ago,dig it out if you want some more answers.I usually do a 45 min warm up too btw!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
the glib answer is 'until you've warmed up and feel ready' its whatever you need to make you feel course/match/competition ready. You can see by the varied answers already that there is no right or wrong.

I spent 2 hrs practicing for our club champ, got a triple bogie on the first- whats the point!
another occasion I literally had to run on the tee from the car, pull out any club, and hit as the rest had teed off, birdied that hole and got in the top 6 for finals day

go figure- thats why we love golf

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's bizarre really. I've had my best rounds having just rocked up to the tee taken a couple of swings and tee'd off.

But in comps I do tend to hit 10-20 balls before hand.