How do you gat draw and fade ????

trackdayking

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi I only have one shot and thats straight! most people would be chuffed with that which i am but need to bring more shots to my game can you help? cheers

S

Snelly

How? Practice.

Stand open, swing straight, fade.

Stand closed, swing straight, draw.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never been able to get a draw or fade on purpose, mainly because my swing technique was rubbish, that said my understanding of how to draw or fade the ball is that to fade the ball you line the club face up pointing at your target, you have an open stance and swing the club will add side spin, start the ball to the left and the spin should bring it back on target. You do the same for a draw except your stance will be closed, then when you swing the ball starts right and the spin brings it back left onto target.

That's my understanding, I'm probably wrong so I stand to be corrected.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
For a start, why do you want to fade and draw the ball ?
If you can hit it straight, don't fix it
But, if you insist....
For the fade,
Aim your body at the left rough and your club face at the left semi rough
Or
body just left of the left hand geenside bunker and club face at the green side bunker.
Obviously, the opposite for the draw

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where's the "Grabs popcorn and waits" smiley?

free-party-smileys-799.gif

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thinking about your question some more, most tour players bend the ball, because they cannot hit it straight, to hit the ball straight everytime must mean you are following the same swing plane up and down and having a perfectly straight club face at impact everytime, now that is impressive.

To answer bobmac, he may want to learn the draw fade shot, to get around obstacles, dog legs, getting out of trees etc

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never been able to get a draw or fade on purpose, mainly because my swing technique was rubbish, that said my understanding of how to draw or fade the ball is that to fade the ball you line the club face up pointing at your target, you have an open stance and swing the club will add side spin, start the ball to the left and the spin should bring it back on target. You do the same for a draw except your stance will be closed, then when you swing the ball starts right and the spin brings it back left onto target.

That's my understanding, I'm probably wrong so I stand to be corrected.

Uh oh! :mmm:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To answer bobmac, he may want to learn the draw fade shot, to get around obstacles, dog legs, getting out of trees etc

For someone off 18 handicap I would think there are easier ways of getting the scores down

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
.... to fade the ball you line the club face up pointing at your target, you have an open stance and swing the club will add side spin, start the ball to the left and the spin should bring it back on target.......

I'm probably wrong so I stand to be corrected.

the key error, and common mistake, is that the ball will start along the line of the clubface so here it will start straight at the target and then fade/draw.

line the clubface up where you want to start the ball not where you want it to finish.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
the key error, and common mistake, is that the ball will start along the line of the clubface so here it will start straight at the target and then fade/draw.

line the clubface up where you want to start the ball not where you want it to finish.

Then it's just the small matter of getting the correct swing path

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

First are you aware that Bobmac is a PGA Pro.

Second you are wrong on how to set up for, draw/fades. The way you have stated it is the old fashioned way. Before modern tec, for viewing the ball flight proved it WRONG. Around 70% of the start direction is controlled by the club face. Not the flight path. So to go around that tree you would aim your feet well left of the target and your club face open to the target but closed to the swing path of your feet. The ball would then start left of the tree and the target due to the club face then fade back to the target. With me being a lefty I would sart to the right of everything!

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yup I am aware the bobmac is a Pro, I've read enough posts to realise that. However just because he is a pro doesn't mean I shouldn't express an opinion be it right or wrong. I'm quite happy to write what I believe to be correct and for it to be proven wrong, so long as at some point in the resulting posts, someone gives the correct answer and points out the error of my ways.

If nothing else the few posts above have stimulated a decent forum response

Threads like this is why I read and post topics within this forum, the contributing members have a wealth of knowledge and you can always pick up tips and good advice and as long as you don't mind appearing like an ass if what you post is utter rubbish and is pointed out so. I don't mind appearing like the ass that asks the questions no one else will, if it gets a thread motivated and provides good advice, after all there is no such thing as a stupid question.