How crucial is an inch?!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So being tempted by shiney G20 drivers much reduced now the G25 is out. My G15 was custom fit and 1" shorter than standard. I've contacted a couple of Ebay sellers that are pro shops about reducing the club for sale by an inch and fitting my width grip and this time was informed:

Of course I would but....shortening the club would have the following dynamic effects to the club....
1) the swingweight would reduce from D1 to C7 making the head feel lighter
2) the shaft would become stiffer due to the swingweight reduction by one flex.
Please consider this.... If my clients require longer or shorter clubs it is done at the point of manufacture to maintain original swingweights and shaft flexes.

I always assumed they just chopped an inch of a full length shaft! So am I wise to accept I have to buy new and custom fit OR buy used and have an extra inch OR buy used and accept the altered dynamics?

Thanks.

A

Alex1975

Stick with your G15, it's fitted for you and the G20 will be so so little different if any on a launch monitor in your hands ( I would think )

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why not buy the standard and grip down an inch ?

Have thought of that and hit David's 10.5 degree regular shaft G20 nicely.

Stick with your G15, it's fitted for you and the G20 will be so so little different if any on a launch monitor in your hands ( I would think )

Thanks Alex. Debating a decrease in loft to 10.5 degrees. A while back we tested the G20 in regular and/or 10.5 and found some improvement in launch angle and distance but at that time not enough to justify the expense. Have seen the difference David gets with the G20vG15 and it tempts me :)

T

thecraw

G20 is a totally different beast to the G15.

What you can do is swap over the shafts if you like the feel and length of your current shaft.

Very straight forward for your pro to do.

Andy-uk

Hacker
Visit site
chopping 1" from a driver shaft WILL NOT affect the swing weight anywhere new as much as discribed above.it will slighly alter the flex but not so you would notice.I have a driver shaft in my 3 wood which was cut 2 1/4" to fit, and play slight truer to flex(S.65g) for the control and ball flight I needed.So buy the driver and chop it down. I promice you wont tell the difference and should gain a little control.If you do want if slighty heaver there is always lead tape.(about 6g worth should do.)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So being tempted by shiney G20 drivers much reduced now the G25 is out. My G15 was custom fit and 1" shorter than standard. I've contacted a couple of Ebay sellers that are pro shops about reducing the club for sale by an inch and fitting my width grip and this time was informed:

Of course I would but....shortening the club would have the following dynamic effects to the club....
1) the swingweight would reduce from D1 to C7 making the head feel lighter
2) the shaft would become stiffer due to the swingweight reduction by one flex.
Please consider this.... If my clients require longer or shorter clubs it is done at the point of manufacture to maintain original swingweights and shaft flexes.

I always assumed they just chopped an inch of a full length shaft! So am I wise to accept I have to buy new and custom fit OR buy used and have an extra inch OR buy used and accept the altered dynamics?

Thanks.

Swing Weight WILL be reduced, but I don't believe you would notice it. A lighter grip could also be used to compensate (12gms I think, but that may not be right).
Stiffness might change marginally, but again, I don't believe that would be noticable. It also depends on the profile of the shaft as butt-trimming a butt-stiff shaft could actually make it feel slightly softer (again only marginal).
The main thing you are likely to notice is better control from the shorter shaft, so I'd say go for it.
Manufacturers may set a shortened shaft to their standard swing weight, but they'd simply butt-trim the shaft before putting on a standard grip. A fitter might check their stock for a more appropriate shaft - as there's normally variations - but not often. I think the guy was just looking for an excuse not to do it, so buy elsewhere too!

A better reply would offer to do the change, but at your responsibility and on a no return basis.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
G20 has a counter-balanced shaft.
The head is a bit heavier than others so Ping have weighted the butt end a little to keep swingweights even.
Taking an inch off the butt will affect the feel - but to be honest I doubt you'd be able to tell.
Give it a go!

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We are amateur golfers that hit one shot out the middle, next one out of the heel, then the toe etc etc. We are not consistent enough to notice the difference that one inch off the butt end would make.

I say go for it! :thup:

T

thecraw

I've just tipped my driver by 3/4 of an inch. Hope that will reduce the spin and stiffen the shaft slightly and therefore lower the spin and ball flight. Should work a treat and looking forward to giving her a whirl tonight after work.

A

Alex1975

I've just tipped my driver by 3/4 of an inch. Hope that will reduce the spin and stiffen the shaft slightly and therefore lower the spin and ball flight. Should work a treat and looking forward to giving her a whirl tonight after work.

I'd be interested how this goes.