How complicated is your swing

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As ave mentioned before am struggling with my drives. I was in a National Trust bookshop today and there was a David leadbetter book about all aspects of the golf swing. I had a quick look.and thought sod that. It was massively deep. One of my main problems is too many swing thoughts. Reading that book would of put me Into meltdown.
So how simple or complicated is your swing

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At best, very simple, 2 thoughts only. When it's off, 27 thoughts at once o_O (this may be a slight exaggeration ?)

Golf is simple when it's going well, you want as few thoughts as possible going on.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At its best, simple. Once something goes awry it becomes more complicated that the fairer sex!

AAC

Visit site
As ave mentioned before am struggling with my drives. I was in a National Trust bookshop today and there was a David leadbetter book about all aspects of the golf swing. I had a quick look.and thought sod that. It was massively deep. One of my main problems is too many swing thoughts. Reading that book would of put me Into meltdown.
So how simple or complicated is your swing

Mines like a gorilla scratching his backside, never the same twice

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have very little idea of what is going on in my swing and long may it stay like that.
I don't want to know.
I have a swing...if I don't think about it then it generally works.
Maybe I'm lucky and it just falls into place more often than not.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Since I'm not someone who has lessons or practises often, my entire ethos for my golf has always been to keep it as simple as physically possible, in the hope that less things can go wrong. I have a short backswing as I find it easier to strike the ball better, I tended to lose control if I swung all the way back to horizontal. People have told me I shallow the club well on the way down, which luckily is completely natural to me so I've generally not had to worry about coming over the top. So with those in mind, I only have a small number of 'swing thoughts' if you like - generally about my posture, and not lifting my head and shoulders until I've actually hit the ball - and more recently, making sure I finish the follow-through right over my left shoulder.

It doesn't look pretty, but I manage to keep it fairly straight, not losing many balls at all - just working on the thins and fats at the moment really.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My only real "swing thought" is one that says "round not up" on the backswing. But this is more in response to injuries than anything. The rest it just happens the way it's happened for a number of years. Could it be better? Possibly. Am I fussed? Not really, I'm just happy to be playing again.

D

Deleted member 21258

My swing feels like Louis Oosthuizens swing but looks like Bubba Watson swing

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine is simple back and through, but I am lazy so any thing over and above that is extra work.
I realised that my bad stuff comes from being too wide in my stance which then means my weight (of which there is a bit!) gets trapped on my back foot. Going narrower takes that all out of the equation and it’s just swing back and through. Also eliminates loads of swing thoughts!
Where it goes wrong is,if I have doubts , is this the right club or not.. no doubt clean shot, doubt and then I manipulate, which kills distance.
So swing is simple head is complex .. I would probably be a brilliant golfer drunk , maybe a bit noisy though.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My swing is absolutely disgusting. Didn’t realise until I videod it and was shocked how horrible it looks. Too fast going back, over the top on the way down, and I never complete the swing, it’s always cut off. Possibly due to dodgy hips. It gets the job done, I can hit the ball a reasonable distance and I’m often told I ‘hit irons well’, and although I want to get better (who doesn’t) it’s workable. Just not very pretty. I think what’s caused it is being self taught from being a kid, not playing much for 20 years, coming back to the game and just being stuck in my ways. I’ve had a couple of lessons in the last few years but I just can’t do what they ask me to do (I don’t have the time or desire to put in enough practice).

So my swing thoughts are ‘slow take away, far enough, finish the swing’. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t. Sometimes totally forget, hit a shot I didn’t think was humanly possible and realise that I didn’t plan the shot properly.

Stupid game.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never been someone who's head is full of different thoughts at address. I wouldn't know if my swing itself was complex or simple....but, given that a pro once said of me that "you have a great ability to return the club to square at impact despite your swing", I'd guess that it has a bit more going on in it than is ideal!!!!!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
As one pro said when I mentioned Leadbetter to him.
'Couldn't do himself though, could he.'

In reality, we all know how the swing is done, even if we can't do it.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My driving has improved massively since I made a conscious decision a couple of months ago to keep it as simple as possible. Before I used to think about angle of attack, rotating properly, club face angle, hitting through the shot blah blah blah, have loads of practice swings and the results were mixed at best. Now I just pick a target, have one proper practice swing, and then hit it.

Still hit the odd bad one, but have seen a tremendous improvement in distance and accuracy overall.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like to keep things simple and usually just have a feel that I am trying to replicate in the swing. I usually adapt my pre shot routine to work in this feeling to act as a reminder before stepping into the shot.

Once over the ball I only think of the target and to swing smooth.