How’s your society?

Funt1m3

Visit site
Evening all

We’ve been running our society for best part of 5 years now and this year we’ve seen a decline in numbers. We’re only a small outfit, maybe 15 paid up members , but the turn out has been poor this year compared to most, 9 at the last event!

So with the season ended, few of us thinking how we can get back on track

How’s yours going? What size, how many games played in a year, membership fee, how your recruit new members, etc?

I’d hate to see it drift away, so any tips welcome

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s kind of obvious a question, but have you asked those not turning up but who used to why they haven’t. I’m guessing it may simply be the cost, or if they are of a certain age group 20s and 30s especially, maybe family matters have taken on a greater priority. Are those not turning up relative newbies to the game or seasoned campaigners? Newbies can fall out of love with the game if the difficulty of it seems more trouble and hassle than it’s worth…a lot of folks have a lot of troubling things on their minds these recent months and year or two.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Around 500 or so in ours across the country.
pretty healthy turnouts, depending on location of event. No membership fee to join, but extras added to events to cover running costs, charity donations, prizes etc

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Very healthy....except the average age is rising. Its been going for years, I joined a few years ago as a colleague was captain.

Get between 30 and 60 playing depending on venue. Only play 18 holes these days as most would struggle with 36.

Only do decent venues, and always dinner after. Very old school.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
We have between 20 and 30 at each event, from a pool of roughly 45 members. One event a month from March to November, plus a weekend away somewhere. Annual membership is £25 and each event is £35-£45 which includes bacon sandwich on arrival and one-course meal afterwards (which is always fish and chips or pie and chips :LOL:).
I can't help with the recruitment part, I'm not involved in that. Sorry. Hope you work out what's going wrong and find a way to reverse the slide.

As an aside, if you do decide to give up on the society, then you could just enter opens as a group of four or eight. Low coast and often food included. Of course you would need a club handicap (or iGolf at some) so that might be a restriction.

MACM85

Visit site
We have a local one ran through facebook. We have over 800 members in the group and do rounds in Surrey, Hampshire and Sussex mainly. We generally get them filled pretty swiftly and often have reserves. There is no membership fee to join. Just pay the rate for the society day.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My school old boys society does well … I’m not sure of the total number of members, but there are 25 or so at each meet. However, the average age is quite high, so a few more younger members are needed.

Funt1m3

Visit site
I think this year they got carried away with the membership, £100! Went mainly towards cash prizes for the day and season, but I don’t think anyone really cares for the cash prize (well it can’t hurt) but you know what I mean.

I didn’t even know societies of such size existed, how the heck do you book a course for such a large size?!?

@Lincolnsheep, that’s sounds the perfect mix to me!

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our society numbers dwindled a couple of years ago when we continued to play golf in the afternoon followed by dinner. Since we changed to full English Breakfast followed by golf allowing members to get away mid afternoon attendance has increased.

Genu9

Visit site
I don’t run a Society per se, but I do organise ad-hoc competitions and ‘away’ days and I found I was spending a lot of time checking scorecards.
What started out as a spreadsheet has grown out of all recognition as I included more and more options until today, I have an ‘Ad-Hoc Competition Spreadsheet’ that covers all various formats, (I think), WHS calculations, Course Slope etc. (including Mixed format)

It has its limitations, I’ve only made it for 20 teams (up to 80 Players), it relies on having a good 4G signal or WiFi connection and ideally works best on a Windows based PC or Laptop, although it does work using Chromebook and Android.

I think those that organise Society days would, given the correct circumstances, find benefits in using it, so I’d now like to share it (for free) with fellow golfers who could make use of it.

Since I first posted this back in July I’ve done quite a few updates to improve score collection.

Have a look at the video(s) and decide if you or your Society could benefit from using it. (You’ve got all winter to try it out). There are three videos to break it down into manageable chunks for playback. Part I – Comp Setup, Part II – Score entry and Leader Boards, Part III – Tips and Tricks.

Maybe some of you guys could make use of it, PM me and I’ll explain how I can get a copy to you.

Part I Video Link
Part II Video Link
Part III Video Link

(see if you spot the 'deliberate mistake' in Part I)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I joined a local start up society this year (started from guys in a working mens club that my dads mate drinks at)

They hosted 6 events this year to test the waters and have sold out 50 places every time - lots of guys around my age who took up golf in covid are out there without societies etc and will happily join if you advertise where they can see it!