How’s your moral compass

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Understanding that the right thing to do may not be what I want to do or what is best for me.

When doing the right thing, I must accept that my doing so may cause me short term difficulties, irritations or pain, but it will be OK in the longer term and have wider (social) benefits than being limited to simple personal benefit, self-gratification or enrichment.

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My dad said to me when I first went to vote, "they're all no bloody good!"

He was right about most things.

He also said,

If you know you edged it, you walk.

That mentality seems missing from many walks of life.

I had to read that a few times to get it. Good advice though. Saves a lot of hassle in the long run.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I lay a lot of present day ' low moral standards' firmly at the door of social media.
It must be a nightmare nowadays working in any position at a golf club......suddenly everyone and their dogs are now 'experts'.
In my day every member knew the small number of club ' Enos ' and gave them a wide berth.
[Enos ....eee knows it all]

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
You get the leaders you deserve. Not sure the general populace behave any better. Most would jump at the chance to make a morally questionable decision because the rules allowed it at the time ??
Except we're talking about folks who are not following rules.

I really don't agree with your premise, maybe it's the deeply ingrained Scottish calvinism, but most folks follow rules, as we've seen during Covid, and most folks put in a position of responsibility will carry out the role diligently.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And before anyone says you get your morals from religion, rubbish.
I have never been religious and I haven't killed anyone in ages.
If someone gets their morals from their religion then they are quite entitled to do so. Surely you're pushing your own beliefs onto them by feeling the need to preemptively rubbish them. Quite ironic.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If someone gets their morals from their religion then they are quite entitled to do so. Surely you're pushing your own beliefs onto them by feeling the need to preemptively rubbish them. Quite ironic.

I'm not pushing my beliefs on anyone.
I'm not the one going door to door threatening people with an eternity, burning in hell unless I believe what they believe, especially when they tell it to young children.
I just don't need someone else's god to tell me what is right and wrong.
If religious people want to believe what is right and wrong is based on the bible and the teachings of god, then I suggest they avoid the old testament.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not pushing my beliefs on anyone.
I'm not the one going door to door threatening people with an eternity, burning in hell unless I believe what they believe, especially when they tell it to young children.
I just don't need someone else's god to tell me what is right and wrong.
If religious people want to believe what is right and wrong is based on the bible and the teachings of god, then I suggest they avoid the old testament.
And I suggest you make an effort to understand a subject before throwing insults at it.

By rubbishing others beliefs you are pushing your beliefs at others Can't you see the irony in that.

Last edited: