Honours Boards

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
My club wants to improve/expand the honours boards in the clubhouse - and the committee has asked me to look into it. We'll be adding some new ones, updating the ones we have, and possibly getting rid of some too. Does anybody have any experience of this? I'm particularly curious about how to make sure that future updates all look consistent. Is it necessary to use the same sign-writer every year or do they all use a basket of standard fonts so, when one retires/dies/leaves, you can still carry on without it looking odd.

What do you think about the idea of removing a board for a trophy that has been retired and will no longer be contested? Does your club have boards for defunct competitions on display or do they take them down?

Have you seen any clubs using anything other than the traditional wooden boards?

Any ideas, thoughts, comments or recommendations on honours boards will be very welcome.

Regards,
Shep

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Am a big fan of the more modern glass boards, think they look a lot better than the dark wood ones that seem to be in the majority of clubhouses

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am a big fan of no boards at all. They are just fire wood clogging the place up, making it look old fashioned. Ok for Royal St Georges, where there is one for Open champions, but naff as for a club started yesterday.

Just an opinion.

Oh, and glass looks better than wood. Less flammable.

Qbduncan

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hoylake have one board in the clubhouse which only lists the opens, walker cup etc. nothing for the actual members.

I am a big fan of no boards at all. They are just fire wood clogging the place up, making it look old fashioned. Ok for Royal St Georges, where there is one for Open champions, but naff as for a club started yesterday.

Just an opinion.

Oh, and glass looks better than wood. Less flammable.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Get a decent sign writer involved to do the new work and ensure a repeatable style (font etc)

- as for them being ok in old clubs and not in new. About 10 years ago I remember a conversation at my previous club about the absence of an honours board for the Summer Foursomes. As it happens my partner and I won the thing that year. The (proprietary) Club Manger said, if we both paid £250 each they'd put an honours board for that competition. Nice try ,no thanks.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The new Board Of Directors at our club made the decision following a club house total refurbishment and modernisation to get rid of all the old oak, gold leaf embossed honours boards and they were replaced with see through plastic ones with black writing. The ones in the main lounge were limited to past captains and County Honours. (they also got rid of the large number of photos of past Captains)

It upset quite a few players whose names had been on the wooden boards and the seniors who had paid for quite a few of the honours boards in the first place.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
costs our club over a grand a year to have the boards updated in gold lettering, and we dont have that many boards compared to some, always struck me as ludicrously expensive for what it was, especially as the quality (especially alignment) is poor

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Only board that counts is the Club Championship board all the others don't matter one bit. full stop

You dont have an open then?

I would add in the summer pairs knock out and the open to this, and the summer singles knock out. Possibly the 36 hole spring meeting. Thats plenty.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You dont have an open then?

I would add in the summer pairs knock out and the open to this, and the summer singles knock out. Possibly the 36 hole spring meeting. Thats plenty.

Of course they do, but on the whole Scottish clubs will have one comp board which will be the Club Champs, any others would be the Captain and Maybe the lady captain.

all the other comps will be a for a trophy .

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The cost of loads of boards covering all the clubhouse walls must be cheaper than redecorating every so many years, just to throw a different perspective on it :smirk:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The cost of loads of boards covering all the clubhouse walls must be cheaper than redecorating every so many years, just to throw a different perspective on it :smirk:

I don't know a load of hand made wooden boards plus sign writers costs each year, but me more than a couple of tins of paint?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I quite like honours boards, it gives you an insight into the clubs playing history. Being a golf club, why wouldnt you want to celebrate who won what and when? also, having your name up in gold does feel special:)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We (as male section) have eight designated events as their "majors" and then four pairs events on top. I do find it funny when some clubs seem to have about 15-20 honours boards each year (per section)

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ours are white with a simple, modern Helvetica style typeface in black. They really brighten the clubhouse up along with us chirpy members so it is a great place to be before and after a round!

Chokeahontas

Medal Winner
Visit site
We have loads of them, and pictures of each past captain. Meh, take em all down and use the cost savings for a practice bunker, God knows most of us need one

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We (as male section) have eight designated events as their "majors" and then four pairs events on top. I do find it funny when some clubs seem to have about 15-20 honours boards each year (per section)

why is your 8 right and others 15-20 funny?

some with 4 (seems a good number for majors) might think your 8 funny

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
why is your 8 right and others 15-20 funny?

some with 4 (seems a good number for majors) might think your 8 funny

I just think having so many (and 15-20 was arbitary although I have seen that many singles events) seems to water down the fact that these seem to be major competitions. There are only 4 majors. I have no issue with it if that's what a club wants, each to their own etc, but personally find it strange. Some could argue that our 8 is also too many.