Home carers advice

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Remembers eyeing adverts on the back windscreens of Cordia cars advertising home care at £9 for 30 minutes visit and 17 something for an hour. Probably went up a few quid in the last couple of years but your probably ballpark £20 quid an hour.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
As much as you like. The only consequence is the level of care home the council choose for you rather than the one you would choose for yourself ?. How grim, or not, could the one they choose for you be?

If the savings are all yours, I don't know your marital status, dependents etc, then I wouldn't skimp on Tesco's saver brand at this point, have some fun with it. As Paul has pointed out though, if you start chucking it around wildly to family and friends then the 7yr inheritance tax rule may come into play. I hope not, for you ?, but you did mention you weren't the healthiest ?‍♂️
Council homes don't have to make a profit.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Remembers eyeing adverts on the back windscreens of Cordia cars advertising home care at £9 for 30 minutes visit and 17 something for an hour. Probably went up a few quid in the last couple of years but your probably ballpark £20 quid an hour.
My daughter just started as a carer in a private care home, £10 an hour no matter day or night.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Genuine question, I'm coming up for 75 and I'm defo not the healthiest or fittest in the world.
So how much of my 2 hundred grand savings am I allowed to spend, without permission or consequences.
Just in case I may need to go into a care home???.
Genuine answer…nobody knows…it depends…

There are no fixed limits other than you pay all care costs until £23,500 worth of assessed assets remains, then you gradually contribute less towards your care cost until you have £14,000 left. At which point state picks up the complete bill and so you can just blow the lot on yourself ?.

Now what is included as ‘assessed assets’ - including what and when assets were divested of by you before the assessment - well that’s quite another matter…indeed the question I have asked.

I’d just spend your 200,000 grand ????️‍♀️and keep living in your house…

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As much as you like. The only consequence is the level of care home the council choose for you rather than the one you would choose for yourself ?. How grim, or not, could the one they choose for you be?

If the savings are all yours, I don't know your marital status, dependents etc, then I wouldn't skimp on Tesco's saver brand at this point, have some fun with it. As Paul has pointed out though, if you start chucking it around wildly to family and friends then the 7yr inheritance tax rule may come into play. I hope not, for you ?, but you did mention you weren't the healthiest ?‍♂️
noting also that for IT purposes it’s £325k per individual plus £175k property allowance if you own your home and it’s being passed to a direct relative. So as my deceased FiL allowance wasn’t used I believe my MiL estate has to exceed 2x£325 + £175k = £825k before IT.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends on Council area as well I believe, in 2019 when we the M-In-Laws health further deteriorated we, unfortunately, had to take a serious look at the possibility of her going in to a care home, Durham County Council stated to us they would require current Bank and Savings statements going back 3 years in case she had made any large withdrawls/payments during that period with the specific intention of avoiding Care Home Costs.?‍♂️
…and it’s seems that the specific council sets their own guidelines when deciding what is ‘large’ and ‘reasonable’…so I guess the answer to my original question about their being an better way to ‘gift’ money is ?‍♂️

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Guideline costs for home care in north Derbyshire - where MiL lives - are just over £21 per hour. So an hour a day would be about £150/week - two 1hr visits a day - £300/week.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
…and it’s seems that the specific council sets their own guidelines when deciding what is ‘large’ and ‘reasonable’…so I guess the answer to my original question about their being an better way to ‘gift’ money is ?‍♂️
Isn't it crazy that these figures are not set and national. The whole thing is so secretive and difficult to confirm as fact. We are at the stage now where assesment will occur in around 3-4 months and the council will not advise how much they will pay towards care home fees. They keep saying that they will advise after assesment. Okay, but how can my FiL plan for the top up he will inevitably have to pay? The whole experience is hard enough without having to get around the labyrinth the system throws in front of you.

?‍♂️ is dead right

D

Deleted member 16999

Isn't it crazy that these figures are not set and national. The whole thing is so secretive and difficult to confirm as fact. We are at the stage now where assesment will occur in around 3-4 months and the council will not advise how much they will pay towards care home fees. They keep saying that they will advise after assesment. Okay, but how can my FiL plan for the top up he will inevitably have to pay? The whole experience is hard enough without having to get around the labyrinth the system throws in front of you.

?‍♂️ is dead right
What it does do is make decent people consider ways of playing the system.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Genuine answer…nobody knows…it depends…

There are no fixed limits other than you pay all care costs until £23,500 worth of assessed assets remains, then you gradually contribute less towards your care cost until you have £14,000 left. At which point state picks up the complete bill and so you can just blow the lot on yourself ?.

Now what is included as ‘assessed assets’ - including what and when assets were divested of by you before the assessment - well that’s quite another matter…indeed the question I have asked.

I’d just spend your 200,000 grand ????️‍♀️and keep living in your house…
Here's my grand daughters new car .:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• thkids car.jpg
    thkids car.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0