Hollow irons

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any owners of TaylorMade P790, 770, Mizuno 225 (probably too new) irons with hollow foam filled cavities. I think PXG and Cobra have similar models too. How do you find them?

Not thinking about long iron/utility, more interested in the regular short and middle irons. Do you get the odd one which flies off the face very hot, how do they handles short pitching shots, any other feedback?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
HMBs are hollow but I'm not sure they have a foam filling...either way they feel great and give me pretty consistent yardage if I put a decent swing on it.
I've never had the feeling of a "jumper" off the face.
They handle pitch and runs much like any other iron I've used.
Which ones are you looking at?

D

Deleted member 23270

I've got P790's, no issues with 'hot' shots. P wedge is reasonably compact looking. Overall I'm very pleased with them.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I've got the MP20 HMBs, which are broadly similar to the new 225s, as I understand it.
I havr found them to be very consistent and haven't hit any odd fliers unless I've put a proper swing on it (for once!) or it's coming out of the rough. The sessions at the driving range with toptracer seem to bear that out.
Whereas a friend who has the TMs 790s finds he gets maybe 2 in 10 that seem to jump on him.

Neeko1988

Visit site
I’ve got a p790/P770 combo set and love them. I’ve never witnessed a flier. P770 distance can drop off a bit on off centred hits but feel superb out the middle

sunshine

Visit site
So nobody (so far) has experienced any fliers.

I have a theory, that people who blame the "hot" club for a random flier, generally don't make solid contact with the ball or don't have an accurate understanding of how far they hit each iron, especially off downhill lies etc...

D

Deleted member 29109

Mate of mine has the i500s, he loves them and has never complained of a flier.

I suspect those that complain of the random flier either thin one or it’s the 1 in 50 shot they hit flush ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got the MP20 HMBs, which are broadly similar to the new 225s, as I understand it.
I havr found them to be very consistent and haven't hit any odd fliers unless I've put a proper swing on it (for once!)

… it’s just too tempting!!!!

A regular pp has the cobra forged tech foam doodaa’s, he’s chops about off about 15/16 and absolutely loves em. Never seen any flyers

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
… it’s just too tempting!!!!

A regular pp has the cobra forged tech foam doodaa’s, he’s chops about off about 15/16 and absolutely loves em. Never seen any flyers
He asked about fliers, not about fats or shanks! ?

JGolfer

Visit site
Any owners of TaylorMade P790, 770, Mizuno 225 (probably too new) irons with hollow foam filled cavities. I think PXG and Cobra have similar models too. How do you find them?

Not thinking about long iron/utility, more interested in the regular short and middle irons. Do you get the odd one which flies off the face very hot, how do they handles short pitching shots, any other feedback?

I recently got fit for the 225 (7-5). Had no complaints about them. (Did opt for the 223 in pw-8)

Personally much preferred the feel and look of the 225 over the other hollow body I tested. Though the Taylormade offering performed very well (just didn’t quite like the look compared)

Didn’t get a single flier from any of the hollow body. But didn’t really like them on the ole 7 iron bump and run.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have the SIM2 irons. Not sure if they are foam filled but they are taking a bit of getting used to moving from MP18s.

They sound and feel a bit dead, they go well enough and far enough but no feedback on strike.

Can’t say about pitches etc as I still use my S18 50 degree for those.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So nobody (so far) has experienced any fliers.

I have a theory, that people who blame the "hot" club for a random flier, generally don't make solid contact with the ball or don't have an accurate understanding of how far they hit each iron, especially off downhill lies etc...

I think it is a feature of some clubs that have a trampoline effect, some parts of the face give it a bit more than others.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think it is a feature of some clubs that have a trampoline effect, some parts of the face give it a bit more than others.

I've never felt the trampoline effect. The ball doesn't feel any different off the face than any other irons I've had, my 790's just go, and if I hit a 7 iron it is pretty consistent if, I strike it ok

My pp took out a P790 and a P770 7 irons today, I only had a couple if hits but mine stand up well against either

G1z1

Visit site
I got fitted for the 225 recently they felt great no fliers and dispersion was noticeably better than my ping g425s

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Really like the look of the 225s....but I suspect I won't be buying new........
Might try and pick up a used set in the autumn.

D

Deleted member 1147

I know you’re not asking about the long irons, but the 4 irons I’ve got/had are very easy to hit. So the
Clubs at the top of the bag may be more consistent than regular cavity or blades .

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some years back I had a set of Mizuno irons where 8 up were standard forged, 7 down were hollow. Really liked them.