hole more putts .... for the price of a top end driver .... ?

mwm118

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was thinking of putting improvement technology today myself and how hard it would be to make one's own from ordinary camera's. For example the iPhone I have at the moment can easily slow down the putting stroke enough to easily analyse by eye but was trying to think of ways to take the images and turn into data. I think when I go back to uni I will get my electronics friend to help and let you guys know. But in the mean time I would save the money by propping your phone up with some tee's and using the in built camera, you should easily be able to slow it down enough to see the 5 factors given above, maybe if your pro then it might not be enough, but for us ordinary folk I think it should be fine.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Useless for me

I putt well on the practice green and then my putting deterioates until my round is FUBAR.

At which point it rapidly improves again.

Can't find an app for that!

SXRORY

Medal Winner
Visit site
I reckon you don't need to spend much money I think the reality is that we don't practice it enough.
Quite happy banging drives in the range then 5 minutes on the green.
For this reason I bought a putting matt so before a game i spend 10 minutes on that at home. This helped me quite a bit.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting device and I like the look of it. However for that price I'd invest the money in lessons and work hard on my technique

But surely this type of device (assuming it is accurate) would enable you to track your technique and see whether you are improving or not?

Personally, I'd invest in the product, identify the weaknesses and work hard to improve and invest in a lesson or two if something doesn't seem to improve.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But surely this type of device (assuming it is accurate) would enable you to track your technique and see whether you are improving or not?

Personally, I'd invest in the product, identify the weaknesses and work hard to improve and invest in a lesson or two if something doesn't seem to improve.

And I agree with you. However as with any of these devices that give you data, it's about how it's interpreted. I can see how it can identify weaknesses but would you rather try and self diagnose or let a qualified PGA pro give you a lesson and some tips on how to improve. Surely the latter is a quicker way forward?

Oohmeoldbacksknackered

Assistant Pro
Visit site
assuming you talking £'s think it's £399 ...... or there abouts
Wow.
One of the tag lines:
..it's like having a pro there with you....

Well for £400 you can have a real pro there with you for 15 - 20 half hour lessons purely on putting. I've never heard of anyone doing that.
And there are plenty of drills that help with those 5 points for the cost of a few tees and the like.....

So I'm out, I'm afraid.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I reckon you don't need to spend much money I think the reality is that we don't practice it enough.
Quite happy banging drives in the range then 5 minutes on the green.
For this reason I bought a putting matt so before a game i spend 10 minutes on that at home. This helped me quite a bit.

This sums it up perfectly for me. My putting has always been average at best and I'd estimate my putting around 32/33/ round. Around 2 years ago my putting had been slipping due to range time more than practice time on the short game area and then out of the blue, 44 putts in a round.

YouTube searched some drills, spent an hour at the course Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday after work just putting sticking to them drills and then in Saturday had a PB of 28 putts. My iron play and approach play was no better, but my putting was bang on point!

Once I'm back driving I aim to break my practice down keeping short play and putting as much of a priority as every other aspect. It's just always overlooked.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I know of two more very useful products that are less than half the price both launching in the next few months, seems there is a lot of gadgetry for putting coming out right now

They are both in the final tooling stages right now and will both probably just miss xmas

I will have these units in due course
(Vague right now as neither company has launched or has stock)